Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I just got my macbook 2.0, and want to use Handbrake to burn my DVD's to a time capsule, and play them on quicktime pro, on a new Apple 23" Screen. What preset would give me the best picture with QTP and the new 23" Apple screen?

Sorry for the new question, new to mac's and not a video guy.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Handbrake was just updated so it no longer has the DVD decrypting capability built in BUT it still does it, you just need to have VLC installed as well so hand brake can make calls to that apps libraries. Just google "VLC" and download the media player.

Now handbrake can rip the DVD's.....

So as far as quality, you best bet is just to use the "normal" preset because quicktime will automatically upscale to fit your screen, and DVD are only 720x 480 (i think?) anyways.

and if handbrake doesn't work (and sometimes some DVD's just won't rip) then give mac the ripper a try.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
Handbrake + VLC will give you the ability to rip copy protected DVDs, although you probably shouldnt doo that, what with iffy legality and all.

You americans with your silly low res DVDs, UK ones go up to 1024x768 (anamorphic)

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Handbrake + VLC will give you the ability to rip copy protected DVDs, although you probably shouldnt doo that, what with iffy legality and all.

You americans with your silly low res DVDs, UK ones go up to 1024x768 (anamorphic)

REALLY? Holy crap WTF I want DVD's like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.