Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I currently have one of my usb c plugged into my 4k Lenovo monitor which then acts as a hub for more usb stuff but i was thinking of using the HDMI out and freeing a usb c port - besides losing the hub is there any downside to the display for this - my 4k only runs at 60hz 4k anyway...

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I can't say that I noticed any visible difference on my LG 32" 4k when experimenting with hdmi and DisplayPort connections with my M1 mini. The one notable difference was that connecting via DisplayPort over usb c offered more options for scaled resolutions.

That said, Apple's implementation of hdmi can be kind of flaky. Users have reported some strange screen behaviors with hdmi connections, often resolved with switching to a usb c connection. However, I also think some of the bugs have been worked out through OS updates as well, because there are far fewer complaint threads popping up these days.

Give it a try for a few days and trust your own eyes.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you get the display resolution and refresh rate that you want, I doubt there will be any "visual discrepancies" between USBc and HDMI. Be aware that there's such a wide range of speed/quality variations in HDMI cables, one cable might be better than another.

For 4k, try what you have and see if it works.
If I had to buy a replacement, I'd be looking for "high-speed, HDMI 2.0".

Perhaps others will comment based on personal experience.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think USB-C uses DisplayPort protocol.

So visually there should be no difference. Personally, I never seen a difference between HDMI, Display Port, or USB-C.

Capabilities like Refresh Rate, HDR, Dolby Vision, Audio, and etc, is a differ story.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Does your display support 10bpc or HDR? HDR requires 10bpc.

HDMI 2.0 cannot do 4K60 at 10bpc without switching to chroma sub sampling 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

DisplayPort 1.2 can do 4K60 at 10bpc up to 576 MHz. 4K60 for HDMI is usually 594 MHz so you need to make sure the display is not using an HDMI timing.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
It's a 'known issue' at Apple Support / Apple Communities, but there are cases where connectivity to a monitor (brand doesn't seem to matter) via the Mini's HDMI may result in screen randomly going to black then (eventually) restoring. Nothing to do with either monitor or OS's screen settings.

I fell victim to that myself, and the workaround is using one of the Mini's USB-C ports. Problem resolved immediately. It was a pity to lose that port, but I have a powered hub to accommodate the loss.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Personally, I try to connect my Macs principally or solely with DisplayPort over USB-C. Every issue I have ever encountered on displays is from HDMI. (There aren’t many and most are little more than niggles, but I have them with HDMI and don’t have them with DisplayPort so…)

pet peeve: USB-C is a descriptor of the physical port, not of its capabilities. You can have USB2.0 and up, Thunderbolt, DisplayPort and more using USB-C connectors… the capabilities of the cables and of the protocols matters. Heck, you can even have power delivery only, no data, via USB-C… PEBKAC to the fore thanks to a non-universal universal…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.