Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,

I recently purchased an external display and am using it in the setup as shown below.

yne4eby9.jpg

It's working great, though I would like the following clarifications.

1) any harm leaving it in clamshell mode and charging at 100% over an extended period of time? On weekdays, this would be the whole night. On weekends. It will be plugged in pretty much the whole day. This is really my primary concern.

2) fans can kick in (they are barely audible though) even under light load. I take it that's nothing for concern?

3) anything else I might need to take note of?

Thanks in advance for all your advice. :)

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hi all,

I recently purchased an external display and am using it in the setup as shown below.

It's working great, though I would like the following clarifications.

1) any harm leaving it in clamshell mode and charging at 100% over an extended period of time? On weekdays, this would be the whole night. On weekends. It will be plugged in pretty much the whole day. This is really my primary concern.

2) fans can kick in (they are barely audible though) even under light load. I take it that's nothing for concern?

3) anything else I might need to take note of?

Thanks in advance for all your advice. :)

1) Define "extended" Just run it off the battery from time to time and you'll be fine. This is a good read re battery health

2) No, that's normal. i was concerned about this also as previous computers would get VERY hot if left closed - but the MBA is designed to work perfectly well in clamshell mode provided you have adequate ventilation which you clearly have

3) nope - your desk looks nice and clean! you could maybe consider dropping the wires underneath and manage them just under the surface of the desk or on the floor. you could also get one of those bookarc stands if you want a bit more room, but you have loads of surface space so you might not be interested in that.

otherwise - looks good :D

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
nope - your desk looks nice and clean! you could maybe consider dropping the wires underneath and manage them just under the surface of the desk or on the floor. you could also get one of those bookarc stands if you want a bit more room, but you have loads of surface space so you might not be interested in that.

It's actually a lot messier normally (as a teacher, I often have stacks of assignments lying around waiting to be graded, plus other odds and ends); I just cleared it up for the photo taking. :p

Also, my table is glued to the wall, so there's no way I can run wires underneath without drilling holes in it. I looked up the arc stand. Looks great, though I am considering one of those suspended laptop stands as well (since Mavericks finally fixes multiple monitor support). Will definitely consider it. Thanks.

Define "extended" Just run it off the battery from time to time and you'll be fine

On weekdays, it will typically be plugged in at night from 8 to 11 pm. On weekends, all the way from Friday night to Sunday night or Monday morning (though I will switch it off at night and when I am not at home). I read that link you provided and it seems that the macbook is designed to be used while charging a lot.

Seems I should be fine. Thanks. :)

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
1) Define "extended" Just run it off the battery from time to time and you'll be fine. This is a good read re battery health

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge."

So for heavy movie use on weekend is it better to let battery run down then recharge it to 100% rather
than leaving it plugged in at 100% and using it that way?

Last edited:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge."

So for heavy movie use on weekend is it better to let battery run down then recharge it to 100% rather
than leaving it plugged in at 100% and using it that way?

i think they mean for longer periods than just a day or two but i'm no expert on this topic. i think a good rule of thumb is to mix it up when you can. the point i think they are trying to make is that you don't need to run it all the way down, charge it all the way up every time you use it like the good old days but they do recommend doing that from time to time to let it recalibrate and to make sure to use the battery rather than the powercord 100% of the time.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It's actually a lot messier normally (as a teacher, I often have stacks of assignments lying around waiting to be graded, plus other odds and ends); I just cleared it up for the photo taking. :p

Also, my table is glued to the wall, so there's no way I can run wires underneath without drilling holes in it. I looked up the arc stand. Looks great, though I am considering one of those suspended laptop stands as well (since Mavericks finally fixes multiple monitor support). Will definitely consider it. Thanks.

On weekdays, it will typically be plugged in at night from 8 to 11 pm. On weekends, all the way from Friday night to Sunday night or Monday morning (though I will switch it off at night and when I am not at home). I read that link you provided and it seems that the macbook is designed to be used while charging a lot.

Seems I should be fine. Thanks. :)

haha - well it's good to make sure your baseline is at least clean and tidy so you can gauge where you need to get back to when it's time to clean!

As for the wires - you can drill a .5-1" hole with a spade or forster bit and then get a desk grommet like this one:

picture_1.jpg

real easy.

or you can even go fancy with something like this one from IKEA:

F5U402-03IN-use_lg_rect540.jpg

Saw that on Apt Therapy

As for charging, i think you're probably fine too - just bring it to the couch from time to time or unplug it and let the battery flex a little bit.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9875442/

Follow the above guide!

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9875442/

Follow the above guide!

"AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving."

This means it is ok to keep it plugged in all day on weekends so your not using up battery cycles ?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

"AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving."

This means it is ok to keep it plugged in all day on weekends so your not using up battery cycles ?

Correct

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

Once school starts the 12hr battery on one charge will be plenty.
Watching movies on weekend along with other use is more a power drain.

I found a lot of information on battery use but could not find a clear answer on
best practices for high power use situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.