Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianhagen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Hello,

I have a Mac Mini (Intel) set up in my sons room that I would love to be able to use the same LCD monitor to hook up to a directv box.

I dont need to record shows, time shift, etc.. all I want to do is multitask the LCD monitor I have (Samsung 19") as both a monitor for the mac mini and for the satelitte box.

Anyone got a low cost and simple solution to this? (No need for fancy DVR capabilities since the Directv box is Tivo already)

Thanks in advance!

(Note: The monitor has both VGA and DVI connections, DVI being used by Mac Mini)

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
What outputs does your satellite box have? If it has DVI (doubt it, but still) get a DVI/KVM switcher. If it has component or VGA (I highly recommend using one of these two, I'm sure it has one of them) buy a VGA/component to DVI, and then buy a DVI switcher. If it has HDMI, even easier. Buy an HDMI to DVI, and then a DVI switcher.

The key part of my plan, as you can see, is the KVM/DVI switcher. They are easy to use, are very compact, and just what you need. See if you can find one that'll fit your needs. I estimate it'll cost you $20-25 max for everything, including cables.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
does your LCD have HD resolution? if not, you could upgrade to an HDTV and it'll have the inputs you need. you're going to need to upgrade at some point in the next 2-3 yrs anyway

brianhagen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
So its as simple as a Cable adapter? Wow.

I already have a HDMI switcher sitting unused in a box (got sent 2 by accident).

Thanks!

salvatore

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
Massachusetts
Is there such a thing as an auto-switcher? Something to detect where the signal is coming from and switch to it automagically, or is it manual switching only?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Personally, I'd use the built in switch in the monitor. Move the Mini to VGA and use an HDMI to DVI adapter for the DTV box. (Must be a HR10-250 TiVo box if it has HDMI....).

Asking the obvious. What do you plan to do for speakers?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.