Using the same backup data across different generation iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTouch.lover22, Aug 27, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm going to be updating to the new iPod touch in a week's time, but want to know whether I will be able to load my current backup file straight onto the new device. I don't want to lose my contacts, mail, photos etc. as well as the wifi connections already made for my house, friend's houses and so on. Essentially I just want to upgrade the hardware, and keep the actual settings and all the same. Will I be able to do this? Thanks!

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you can go from iPod Touch 1G to the 2G or 3G without any problem. I went from a jailbroken iPod Touch 1G to a non-jailbroken iPhone 3Gs with no problems. However, it is recommended that you don't. The old settings can cause a drop in battery life or other odd behavior.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

So when I plug in the 4th gen, I'll get a message in iTunes saying something like 'would you like to restore from backup or create a new iPod'?

4. macrumors P6

Intell

Assuming that the 4G iPod Touch works along similar lines as the current three models out, yes. That is what your should see.

5. macrumors regular

When i upgrade in a week or so, ill switch from my JB iOS 4 touch, and simply set my new one up as a new ipod. Its a much better design. Trust me.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

What would be different from setting up a new iPod to restoring from backup? Isn't the only difference the fact that when you restore it it will have all your info back on it?

7. macrumors regular

If you backup your notes, calender, music and apps... When you set up as new it'll not have the app data (saved games and the like), but it'll be a "clean" install. VERY IMPORTANT IF YOUR CURRANT IPOD IS JAILBROKEN! Because a bunch of the filesystem that you have modded with JB apps can be transferred.

Loosing the app data isn't too much of a price to pay. And the clean version will be a lot less trouble in the long run.

8. macrumors regular

MAKE SURE to backup the photos and notes beforehand. Photos typically have a 50-50 chance of making the transfer successfully....

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't the app data get synced back if you restore from backup? I remember my iPod started being weird a few months ago so I did a restore from backup, and all my progress in games and high scores were still within each game.