Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurray444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Dear all,

I'm using a MacPro with 4 internal hard drives. How is it possible when using Unix to change between the hard drives? If I use 'cd ..' I can get to the very top of the directory of my default hard drive (number 1) but there doesn't appear to be an option to switch between hard drives.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In Unix there is only ever a single root (/). All other drives are mounted within this. In OSX they are mounted in /Volumes/. So do

Code:
cd /Volumes/
ls

and you should see a list of all mounted volumes (other hard drive, network mounts etc)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Dear all,

I'm using a MacPro with 4 internal hard drives. How is it possible when using Unix to change between the hard drives? If I use 'cd ..' I can get to the very top of the directory of my default hard drive (number 1) but there doesn't appear to be an option to switch between hard drives.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

All drives in Unix are mounted below / so if you at the root directory ( / ) then you can see all the drives in the computer including CD / DVD-ROMs / USB drives etc etc. In Mac OS X drives are mounted under /Volumes but in Linux they are often mounted under /mount don't get confused when switching between systems :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.