Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
anyone ever took any notice to the maximum altitude stated on the ipod specs?

well, i didn't. it seems to have jacked up my 5g ipod pretty bad. on the way there i tried turning it on only to receive the black screen. i tried resetting it and what not with no avail, so i left it.

i presume thats when the damage was done. now whenever i pick a song to play the screen freezes for 19 seconds (yes i timed, but only with how long of the track had gone, i'm not some uber geek with a stopwatch) but it doesn't do this when i play an album and it goes to the next song. also, i found that sometimes when i put it to charge it resets itself to factory settings, with all my music still there.

i'm guessing its the harddrive gone funny, as it makes some pretty awful noises and all the right signs are there. i've reformatted it to see if it helps at all, but i'm hoping for much. i'm getting my iphone soon anyway, and it does still work to some degree.

anyway, just a friendly warning i suppose, be careful using your ipod on a plane!

JNB

macrumors 604
Unless the cabin was unpressurized (which I'm sure you would've noted!), commercial cabins are pressurized to 6000-8000 feet MSL, within the specs of the allowable elevation. Millions of iPods have "flown" without ill effect. Not the cause of your problem.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
JNB is correct. Whatever happened to your iPod is coincidence and not the result of high altitude.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Unless the cabin was unpressurized (which I'm sure you would've noted!), commercial cabins are pressurized to 6000-8000 feet MSL, within the specs of the allowable elevation. Millions of iPods have "flown" without ill effect. Not the cause of your problem.

I have to agree JNB Edit: and Jessica.
I have flown with mine and used it repeatedly with no ill effects

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.