Utility to send files from Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sail, Feb 27, 2006.

1. sail macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm relatively new to Macs from the PC world and I'm loving it, especially exploring the many utilities on offer - I like to explore! The one thing I miss the most, and it's cropped up a few times in the last 8 months, is the inability to send a file from Finder.

i.e. in a Finder window, right click on a file I want to email and there's no option to send it - something you can do on a PC and I was used to doing.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or provide a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Sail

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I know this works with Mail...don't know about other programs:

Just drag the file from Finder onto your Mail icon in the Dock. It will open a new message with the file attached. Type in an e-mail address and click Send!

Does that work for your needs?

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Works for my needs! Thanks for the tip. And I can confirm it works the same way with entourage (just did it). Be nice if there were a right/ctrl-click option as well.

5. sail thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantasitc - top tip indeedy and simple too - thanks for the prompt reply everyone!!

:) Sail

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're welcome! You'll find that most Mac tips are pretty simple...so simple in fact, that people coming from Windows over-think things and have a hard time recognizing the solutions. :D

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Option #2: Select the file, then go to the Finder menu (next to the Apple menu) -> Services -> Mail -> Send File.

(Yeah.. yeah.. Drag 'n' drop is better! ;) )

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, you can have lots of fun with dragging in OS X.

Lots of things can be dragged to Mail: contacts from Address Book, events from iCal or a link from Safari.

Drag an image from Safari or iPhoto to Mail to mail it, to Photoshop Elements to edit it or to the desktop to save it.