Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Hi

I'm relatively new to Macs from the PC world and I'm loving it, especially exploring the many utilities on offer - I like to explore! The one thing I miss the most, and it's cropped up a few times in the last 8 months, is the inability to send a file from Finder.

i.e. in a Finder window, right click on a file I want to email and there's no option to send it - something you can do on a PC and I was used to doing.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or provide a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Sail

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I know this works with Mail...don't know about other programs:

Just drag the file from Finder onto your Mail icon in the Dock. It will open a new message with the file attached. Type in an e-mail address and click Send!

Does that work for your needs?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
WildCowboy said:
I know this works with Mail...don't know about other programs:

Just drag the file from Finder onto your Mail icon in the Dock. It will open a new message with the file attached. Type in an e-mail address and click Send!

Does that work for your needs?

Works for my needs! Thanks for the tip. And I can confirm it works the same way with entourage (just did it). Be nice if there were a right/ctrl-click option as well.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
sail said:
top tip indeedy and simple too
You're welcome! You'll find that most Mac tips are pretty simple...so simple in fact, that people coming from Windows over-think things and have a hard time recognizing the solutions. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Option #2: Select the file, then go to the Finder menu (next to the Apple menu) -> Services -> Mail -> Send File.

(Yeah.. yeah.. Drag 'n' drop is better! ;) )

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, you can have lots of fun with dragging in OS X.

Lots of things can be dragged to Mail: contacts from Address Book, events from iCal or a link from Safari.

Drag an image from Safari or iPhoto to Mail to mail it, to Photoshop Elements to edit it or to the desktop to save it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.