Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Meh. I still prefer WASD format. Would feel too much like a console with the controller (which I'm not a fan of, granted getting the PS4).

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Works better than a controller for keyboard and mouse games, so it does have a purpose. Plus, it being inferior to a standard controller is opinionated.
Sorry, it's not being opinionated. Have you watched the video? All I'm seeing is "swipe swipe swipe swipe swipe..." for the right thumb, as if using a laptop's trackpad, instead of simply holding a thumb-stick in the direction you want it to go.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
This has something touchscreens currently don't: haptics. Playing games on your iPhone is just you sliding your thumb across a perfectly flat piece of glass. There's no feedback whatsoever. This controller? Some way, some how, it manages to give you what you expect despite being perfectly flat. I bet something's clicky in it.

Don't believe me? Just listen to what the Team Meat guy has to say about it. If you can play Super Meat Boy on this thing without any issues, it's a good controller.

That and other reviews mention haptic. Not sure (too lazy to research) if that means just nubbies to help orient the fingers or actual subtle vibration on the pads, like some android devices. Haptic is a pretty vague term (criticizing English language, not you...)

Mac Steam support sold me on this. Do I like sticks better? Sure. Will I buy this to give it a chance? There's too much gaming tech waiting in the wings, but very possibly yes. Using a keyboard + mouse = work for me.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Sorry, it's not being opinionated. Have you watched the video? All I'm seeing is "swipe swipe swipe swipe swipe..." for the right thumb, as if using a laptop's trackpad, instead of simply holding a thumb-stick in the direction you want it to go.

I actually think I'd be better with the swipe swipe method for the right stick rather than the usual right 'hold' analog stick. Im terrible with a controller though, especially with shooters. The article states the valve controller can use either method, it's a preference - which seems cool (like both pads could be configured like how they are just holding the left pad like its a d-pad). Either way I'll still probably play counterstrike with KBM anyway.

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
:(

king of controller = PS joysticks
just release the driver for PS Joysticks
game over

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Looks like crap just to play those crappy games liek CIV. Not even sign of GTA V on the PC. No thanks.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'm not sure if you are trying to make the work place seem good or bad? Sounds like a place I'd love to work at.

If you are good at promoting yourself and hiding your failures, you'd do fine there. My take is the group has a good thing going and very conscience of who they let in. I know of several that were rejected for some of the most trivial reasons. Go figure it out yourself.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010

well the guy states in the video it's unaltered controls. i imagine you can tweak the controls to need less of a sweeping motion. but you do get a precision out of this that an analog thumb stick doesn't have. you won't need auto aim like you have in so many fps. he's nailing exact locations with his portal gun with ease

king of controller = PS joysticks
just release the driver for PS Joysticks
game over

...buy a PS4. Apple gaming is 0 ( zero ):cool:
Looks like crap just to play those crappy games liek CIV. Not even sign of GTA V on the PC. No thanks.
this article isn't about consoles, so there's no need to wedge it into the conversation :rolleyes:

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I see why it was made, that doesn't mean that it is good. That doesn't mean that they're not trying to make a controller that can work like a mouse/keyboard as well. I didn't say that it was a replacement, I said it was a combination.

Which it is.

It's a controller that can be either a controller/mouse and keyboard. Seriously. I had been hoping that Valve would be able to do something great, but this just isn't it.

#notaValvefanboy

Seems to me like you're judging something that you haven't tried yourself and very few others have had an opportunity to test as well. Perhaps it's best to reserve some judgement until either A) beta testers get their hands on them, B) you get your own hands on one, or C) A and B.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
So... this is like a combination of a keyboard/mouse and a controller that isn't actually as good as either.

Gotcha.

That's what I thought. I don't see how this is any better than using an Xbox 360 or GameCube controller on a Mac. What's the big deal about this controller (other than the cult of Valve releasing it)?

People are claiming that this controller is something great, but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, it does not look good.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
So... this is like a combination of a keyboard/mouse and a controller that isn't actually as good as either.

Gotcha.

Michael,

Thanks for the feedback based upon you having actually tested the controller. Much more informative than those lame "Oh, I saw a picture of the thing and I instantly knew everything about it." posts.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Whilst I really like the idea of innovation in the controller market, I wonder how well it will work with sweaty thumbs?

What's nice is that you can see from the guy playing Portal that the left pad he's holding directions, but on the right pad he's sometimes swiping. It gives you the freedom to either hold a direction for the maximum digital speed or use your thumb to flick it like a mouse for very fast movement - i.e. turning. in the Civ video it also seems that the 'flick' speed attenuates, which presumably could be editable.

This could be very flexible to your play style (PC or console) and I think has a lot of potential.

Also - iOS compatible please!

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009

They also mention that it can be configured to act like a stick controller, so it has versatility. But in saying that, I just cant imagine how it would feel playing like that without actually feeling the stick on your thumb. I really dont know what to think of this. I am a valve fanboy, but so far I'm not as excited as valve would want their fanboys to be. Still would love to try the finished product out.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Just write some better drivers for the PS3 six axis.

PS3 controller is the best, said no one ever!!

Don't get me wrong, I own a ps3 but the pad sucks. I bought a USB adaptor so that I could use a USB Microsoft PC/xbox 360 controller with it. Makes an incredible difference.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
valve is the best

Funny that Steam would go down just after someone posts this. Soon we will be able to experience the unbelievably stable Steam network in all its glory also in our living rooms.

BTW, a few years ago, Valve was the most-hated Software company for forcing their business model onto the community. Nowadays, Valve is universally beloved. Just goes to show what a short-term memory the Internet has. ;)

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
BTW, a few years ago, Valve was the most-hated Software company for forcing their business model onto the community. Nowadays, Valve is universally beloved. Just goes to show what a short-term memory the Internet has. ;)
Say that to Apple. Almost universally hated since the 90's outside of sites like this. :)

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Funny that Steam would go down just after someone posts this. Soon we will be able to experience the unbelievably stable Steam network in all its glory also in our living rooms.

I think the fact that Steam was a piece of **** until around late 2006 might've played a role (Anyone buying Half Life 2 on release day couldn't get the servers to connect for one)... Even when they made it bug free around 2007/2008, it didn't start picking up stride until the orange box. Since then they've gone from Xbox Live clone to market leader. And yes, I've used it for many years..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.