Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanderer509

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
will GMA950 work with this? counter strike is ancient, so i am guessing it should... unless the ported version demands better graphic

dainja

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
after a while of trying over and over again I finally managed to download it

haven't really tried playing yet - really looking forward to it though!

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Damn, damn, damn. Why did this one have to come out whilst I'm right in the middle of a major project!

Must...... Resist.... Playing..............

*edit*

Well I had a go (already owned it from PC days)

Not anywhere near as good as I remember it.
Half an hour of play and I'm over it already.

Back to TF2 for a while.

blakintosh

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
I made the plunge and bought it. The problem is I have 10.6.4 :| hope it does run nice even if there is a warning. I will post later when I try it out and see how well it runs. Quick note I'm gonna try it with a Macbook Pro 13 inch.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Jesus H, what a horrible server list it comes with.

I only get, oh, 20 or 30 servers listed, and like 95% of them are full. WTF? At least with TF2 there's a decent number of servers (sort of). Actually the matchmaking on both suck.

Is there another list of servers somewhere?

OK just to clarify something, there is no "matchmaking" in either CS:S or TF2. The only option is to find a publicly available server (which anyone is free to create) and join. The games have no ability to find the "best" server for you or "match" you with other players. This is different then games like Left 4 Dead that use a lobby system.

Make sure you use the "Refresh All" option in the Server Browser window. I just refreshed mine right now and stopped it after it located 4,500 servers so there are plenty of them out there. The problem with CS is never finding enough servers, it is finding the right server. Once you find a server/community you like where everything is friendly and uses teamwork make sure to add it to your favorites so you can find it again.

I'd suggest these two hosted by The Ville, very friendly community:
66.240.202.11:27015
66.178.161.133:27015

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Or eyes that can see more than ~30 fps?

Human eyes typically see 30 FPS as 'smooth' because our brains can fill in the details between the refresh fast enough. 60 FPS is where your brain doesn't need to do this anymore, thus making it actually smooth, not kinda interpolated smooth.

Solid Raven

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
CS 1.6 plays beautifully in WINE/CrossOver.

If you stick to normal servers, yes. I still had performance issues with wine, especially when joining 32 player and/or modded servers, or even custom maps that were too big. Frequent framedrops. It runs so much better in bootcamp, but, argh, to reboot everytime :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1. Serious

2. This situation you are describing was years ago, today the best games are on the consoles. And all games for the pc are also being made for the consoles.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okMqAvvC1ZU , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mdc6kAqpA, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roc27ujMycs&feature=fvw

Then I am truly sorry :D. Going off ratings the 2 highest rated games this gen (GTAIV and the Orange Box) are better on PC. Whilst also being on consoles they're a lesser experience (bad framerates and low, sub-HD resolution on GTAIV, no support for Orange Box games).

Lol at KZ2. I thought the hype died down for that when people realised the game itself was sluggish and not that good.

This would of been awsome 5 years ago but in 2010 no I'm not impressed. this is an ancient game I lost interest in a loooong time ago. If Valve wants to impress me they're going to have to release more recent titles. When is L4D2 going to be released 2016?

It's very old yes but Counter Strike is still constantly topping the most-played charts on Steam. Even with Modern Warfare 2 and Valve's own Left4Dead series... nothing takes down CS. It's got longevity.

HONDAxACURA

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
California
Anyone here with a 9400M know the max FPS obtained? 1.6 lags a lil with smoke, how is it with CS:S. I don't want to buy it unless I know it's playable...

I got a Late 08 Unibody 13" 2.0 w/ 4GB

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
1. Serious

2. This situation you are describing was years ago, today the best games are on the consoles. And all games for the pc are also being made for the consoles.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okMqAvvC1ZU , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mdc6kAqpA, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roc27ujMycs&feature=fvw

I disagree. Consoles are not great for serious gaming. There is no substitute for a keyboard+mouse combo. You just can't turn or move as fast using clunky console controllers. PC shooters can be configured to turn 360 degrees in an instant, if need be. It also allows for much more accurate, faster aiming.

While Killzone looks pretty, it plays like a hundred other console shooters. Run around, take massive damage, collect powerups, and spray-strafe until you hit something.

CS: Source may be dated graphics-wise, but overall is an incredibly fun multiplayer, multilayer experience. People will still be playing this game when Killzone servers are all but empty. Instead of futuristic, spray & pray weapons, CS weapons are based on the real thing and use advanced physics to calculate bullet damage. Shot in the chest with an AK-47 sans body armor? Start moving towards the light. Outnumbered, pinned down behind some boxes amid heavy fire? Better think fast or you're dead. Graphics aside, it's startlingly close to real life and really gets your adrenaline pumping. In games like Killzone (and other Halo clones), you can take a tremendous amount of damage and mindlessly run around without fear. If you play like that in CS you die almost instantly and have to wait until the round restarts. It requires much more precision, skill and teamwork. It is a highly original, highly addictive shooter that is simple on the surface, but takes years to master.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
So I tested it and I have only around 20-40 FPS on de_dust !!

MBP i7 330m 512 VRAM

It looks like the opengl issue in 10.6.4 is serious. Anybody here with the same config as me but 10.6.3 ?

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
This counterstrike releases makes me cry. The game came out in 2004, and my iMac (bought at the end of 07) can not run it on minimum settings. Truly shameful.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Running this with nearly all settings maxed out (textures/shadows/resolution/reflection all maximum) on a 512MB 9600GT uMBP with an extremely smooth frame rate, on 10.6.3. It does occasionally freeze for a second every few minutes or so, but only on local games, not online games, which is weird!!

Can anyone direct me to some 'training servers'? This is my first keyboard/mouse FPS - I'm an Xbox 360 veteran! :D

:cool:

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
So I tested it and I have only around 20-40 FPS on de_dust !!

MBP i7 330m 512 VRAM

It looks like the opengl issue in 10.6.4 is serious. Anybody here with the same config as me but 10.6.3 ?

Running this with nearly all settings maxed out (textures/shadows/resolution/reflection all maximum) on a 512MB 9600GT uMBP with an extremely smooth frame rate, on 10.6.3.

:cool:
Damn, then the reason for my fps drop is really the 10.6.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.