Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
I am getting the above message constantly, now. I started off by deleting ~/Library/com.apple.finder.plist and restarting the Finder. No difference. So, I decided to re-install MacOS Ventura. After the three-hour installation process, everything seemed to be working. Until it wasn't. I came back after a few hours and, yes, Finder (not responding). So, I tried relaunching the Finder from the Task Manager window. But, here's the thing: the Finder won't relaunch. Nothing. If I try to launch the Finder from the Dock, it'll bounce a few times, the black 'running' dot will appear, then disappear: no Finder.

Restarting the Mac Studio, the Finder will show (not responding) for 5-10 minutes, then come online, stay running for a few minutes, then back to (not responding).

A of this writing, the Finder has been non-responsive for two hours, making this Mac Studio a very expensive doorstop.

One thing that I have noticed, and I don't know if it's relevant is that, when this happens, the Finder windows seem go out of focus:

Finder.Locked.png

You can see that the text is blurred, in comparison to other, responsive apps. Also, I have two administrator accounts on the Studio: it happens in both of them.

So, any ideas..?

TIA,

Last edited:

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2017
If it's taking three hours to install Ventura on that machine you have something seriously wrong with your hardware.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
If it's taking three hours to install Ventura on that machine you have something seriously wrong with your hardware.
Well, that was the estimate given... I didn't exactly stick around to time it to the second...

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Process od elimination... looks like I had a bad bay in my external hard-drive enclosure. Only took three days to sort it out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.