Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasha3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Pennsylvania hinterlands
I recently moved to an area that was wired for fiber optic internet service and jumped on immediately after hearing how much faster and more reliable it was over a cable ISP. Well, I have been on it for a week now and really don't notice that much difference in performance. I need to upload very large files and so far there is no difference between the Comcast service I was using and now the Verizon fiber optic service. Has anybody out there used the Verizon service? If so, what are your opinions about it?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well, I hate to tell you this, but I doubt you'll notice a significant difference, unless you tried them both side by side.

Also, FiOS is about 1 MBPS to 15 MBPS when paying for the 15 plan, so you may just be unlucky and getting the 1 MBPS speeds.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
It's a new deal for Verizon (FIOS) and has a lot of potential. They have packages that allow crazy speeds- but make sure your equipment can make use of them!

I'm not speaking from a position of authority on this topic - just a little superficial research 'cause I have the same options- maybe I'm you're neighbor !

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I've heard that they block inbound ports, so you can't host any websites or email. That's the only drawback I have heard.

As for speed, keep in mind that bandwidth comes in handy when you're doing several things at once, like downloading multiple files from several places. You'll probably never notice the difference just browsing sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.