Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I thought it would be interesting to see what MR folks familiar with all this have decided and why -- a good discussion without biases and "[carrier] sucks lol" comments.

Over the years, I've found myself back and forth between the carriers. I am on FirstNet with DHS WPS provisioned in a role unlikely to require EP services as much as in-field folks would, and I waffle between:

FirstNet and its 24/7 priority, preemption, truly unlimited everything including tethering at a ~$50/month subscriber-paid price tag, and its mission, versus;

Verizon and its legacy in emergency services, its network footprint, versus its higher monthly price tag and lack of preemption on a consumer line (a battle I've fought before, though this is largely obviated by WPS when needed), not to mention Frontline and its services are seen as a business account, unlike the subscriber-paid model FirstNet has.

In my locations, overall performance slightly favors Verizon, though with Wi-Fi calling as a crutch, it's unclear to me that this is worth the negligible ~$13-$28/mo monthly premium (i.e., FirstNet plus Apple One, ~$67/mo; Verizon Unlimited with discounted Apple One, ~$80/mo, then ~$95/mo after promo). A small number but something.

I'm familiar with the technical arguments (e.g., separate physical core versus virtualization; FirstNet's band 14 and what it entails). I understand Verizon has a leg up on C-band spectrum, bandwidth, and ongoing rollout with early clearance recently.

I see that Verizon continues to hold a lead on RootMetrics and OpenSignal consumer reports. As a surrogate marker for network footprint and service, I'm unsure which carrier has more of a connected car presence.

What do you use these days and why, especially if you're in a location where either would be viable? How do you see all this?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Just saw this and I'm not a user First Net and not a public safety/first responder type but I volunteered and know many in the LE world and understand cellular tech. Here are some thoughts:
-In my area of Upstate NY Verizon has always been king, AT&T was always a distant second. On so many occasions AT&T users would have no service or the network was clogged. Didn't have that issue with Verizon. All of my Town PD's terminals ran off of Verizon. I will have to ask the LEO's I know what the town and county agencies around here use but I know for certain in rural areas its usually Verizon

-Fast forward today and FirstNet uses B14 which is prioritized for public safety officials and B14 (along with B41/n41) are the only bands in the US that allow High Power User equipment (HPUE) which allows commercial grade public safety equipment to use up to 31dBm instead of only 23dBm on the transmit side from the User End...this is a difference between 200mW's and 1200mW's/1.2watts IIRC off the top of my head but its a big difference amounting to up to 70-80% more coverage if you have HPUE equipment but keep in my consumer grade gear doesnt support this even if it supports Bands 14 & 41

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.