Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santydolby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
unrelated but related: late last year i had had to pay an extra $49 (over what Apple charges) to buy an unlocked iPhone 6S from the good guys at BestBuy. I would have walked out of the store if I were not in a desperate fix back then to get a phone.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
We consumers pay way too much for data and telecommunications these days. Fees like this add a level of mistrust between the consumer and the giant corporation. Glad I don't have Feerizon right now. #VerizonGate2016

Reactions: XTheLancerX

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is such nonsense, and a shining example of why telecom needs regulation.

Take SIM card out of old phone, insert it into new phone. Go online, and update the IMEI numbers if needed. How does this warrant a $20 fee?
Agreed. That doesn't even need to involve Verizon.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I can see John Legere initiating a new $15 cashback program if you upgrade from your current Verizon phone to a new T-Mobile phone.
[doublepost=1459442898][/doublepost]

The law of demand will make them learn.

I disagree that they need regulation. They have regulation. It is called competition. This will cost them. It will cost them my business on a permanent basis ideally.

They really are bold as brass. What support cost? What support? There is no support or support cost. What a load of bull.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I disagree that they need regulation. They have regulation. It is called competition. This will cost them. It will cost them my business on a permanent basis ideally.

They really are bold as brass. What support cost? What support? There is no support or support cost. What a load of bull.

uh? I never spoke about regulation

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Does anyone know if this new fee applies to people who upgrade at an Apple Store? I've never been to a Verizon Store for any iPhone needs, I am assuming (hoping) that if you upgrade in an Apple Store, there is no additional fee.

Anyone know?
The last line on the article seems to say there is.

Honestly I'm ok with this because it used to be $30 for the activation fee
*That* was my question... where did *this* go?!
That was for the 2 yr contract which changed to $40 a while back. These new $20 fee are for the other purchase plans not the 2yr contract plans.

I could see charging a fee for a new line of service or change that would require new provisioning but simply changing the hardware on an existing line AND agreeing to 2 more yrs seems ridicules to charge $40 more. Seems OK maybe for new customers (new acct setup, billing, line provisioning etc) ,,,but existing customers willing to sign up for 2 more years on the SAME LINE and them charging a $40 fee to "let you remain their customer" is way out of bounds.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Is this in place of the $29 Device / Line Activation fee I pay? I just added a BlackBerry Bold to my Veizon plan and while the device was fully paid for, there was an activation fee.

If $20 replaces that, fine! If $20 is on top of the $29 fee, that's BS.

Verizon, just give me a place on your website to enter my IMEI number and we'll call it a day. It's your fault I have to call you / visit your store. Enabling Verizon on my iPad w/ LTE is a snap. I open Settings, add a credit card and buy 2 GB of data. That's the future and we've had that on iPad since 2010.

Finally, why is Verizon adding it to my bill when I activate my next iPhone at an Apple Store? They cite "increasing support costs associated with customers switching their devices" but what costs do they incur by Apple paying a retail employee's salary to activate my phone?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I remember when ATM's were free to use because it saved the banks money because they didn't have to pay a teller (proper vernacular for that time) to perform the transaction. Now the banks charge fees on ATM use for the same reason airlines keep jacking up their rates and Verizon is adding this fee - because they can. Until people stop buying their products (won't happen), it will continue.

I also agree with what someone said above...T-Mobile has no fee but I can't trust to have service when I travel because their coverage is lame.
Amen! Airlines in particular are d-bags; when they jacked their prices a couple of years back they quoted increasing fuel cost... when Fuel dropped to one third of what it used to be in its height; they kept jacking their prices, and said that cheaper fuel is more profit for them.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
This is such nonsense, and a shining example of why telecom needs regulation.

Take SIM card out of old phone, insert it into new phone. Go online, and update the IMEI numbers if needed. How does this warrant a $20 fee?

We don't need regulation (as associated fees). We need people (CUSTOMERS) to start voicing their opinion with their wallet and take their business elsewhere. But people don't care. It's easy to rant and rave on a forum, but not so easy ditching Verizon for another carrier, so nothing ever happens.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I get sooooo tired of being butt humped by service companies and their mysterious fees, some of which are in fact taxes since they go to the Fed or state. Verizon, AT&T, Dish, TXU Electric... even my local water company, part of the city, charges a $1.25 "convenience fee" if I pay the bill online. As opposed to a .49 stamp... and then they charge a $10 late fee if THEY don't get around to processing the check before the due date. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I can see the top execs sitting around a table pondering the next way to rip off their customers.

Light bulb!! Let's throw a $20 fee on every upgrade and make up some BS reason for it. These customers aren't as smart as we are, they'll think this is legit.

If my wife didn't travel to rural parts of new York and west Virginia we'd jump over to T-mobile.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

Splatt123

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2016
Isn't this, supposedly "customer support", simply a cost of doing business? What next? Add a charge for buying a phone in-store because someone serves you? Awful...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Did you not read the post? Full retail=$20.

Verizon has no way to charge you if you pay full retail for the phone from Apple. Your SIM card will work in the new phone as soon as you put it in there.

They will screw you over if you do the Apple Upgrade program, because the bank that finances the phone insists that you activate the phone before you walk out of the store. So, even though you can walk out of the store and cancel the service with Verizon instantly they will be able to charge you for the activation.

Reactions: Mr. Buzzcut

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I don't understand. I buy a new phone, and swap my SIM card out. How does Verizon know or care? Is this if you go into the store and hand them a shiny new phone, or purchase it from them? If so - one less reason to go into the store. Just do it from home. Buy the phone from Apple or (whoever).

I just bought a Moto X Pure Edition, plugged in my old SIM card into it; AT&T didn't care.
False. Reread the article. It says specifically it applies to direct and indirect channels. Where it notes it doesn't matter whether you buy from Verizon or directly from Apple through Apple's upgrade program. Even if you never ask for support from Verizon or engage with Verizon, they will still be able to detect the new phone when it's activated on their network, and then will bill you on your next month bill. They were losing money from people buying through new means that didn't involve them, so they've added a fee to try to get money from those customers.

At the moment nothing we can do about it other than complain but probably 0 chance it will make a difference so they know we don't have any options, just like Comcast. Sure you could switch to T-Mobile, but if you were willing to sacrafrice call quality and call coverage you would have switched a long time ago and not just over $20. T-Mobile gives discounts because it's at the bottom of the barrel and trying to attract customers, but if it ever reaches Verizon's status, it would charge the same fees as well sadly.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Buying from Verizon's online site or in their stores, if you buy your phone at full price, or use their device payment program you'll pay a $20 upgrade free. If you use a 2-year contract upgrade you'll pay $40. At the Apple store, if you use Apple's completely separate iPhone upgrade program, you will pay a $20 upgrade free. If you buy the phone at full price, you won't have an upgrade fee.
According to the chart, buying at full price still equals the $20 upgrade fee.

DCYorke

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
No. I change or upgrade my devices all the time on AT&T and I have yet to see a $15 anything.
If I have AT&T do the upgrade via a new line or I buy the device through AT&T there is a fee. Not if I bring my own and upgrade an existing line.

The bit about AT&T is very misleading. They charge for upgrades on the Next plan. That's very different from a charge to just change your phone.
[doublepost=1459444043][/doublepost]
I don't understand. I buy a new phone, and swap my SIM card out. How does Verizon know or care? Is this if you go into the store and hand them a shiny new phone, or purchase it from them? If so - one less reason to go into the store. Just do it from home. Buy the phone from Apple or (whoever).

I just bought a Moto X Pure Edition, plugged in my old SIM card into it; AT&T didn't care.

Unfortunately, with Verizon you can't just switch SIM cards. They use the internal IMEI number to identify you.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Sounds like they're daring you to switch to T-Mobile to me which I did about a year ago and have been VERY happy with. Goodbye stupid fees like this! Can't wait to see John L. laughing out loud on this anti-customer move by Verizon.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
The bit about AT&T is very misleading. They charge for upgrades on the Next plan. That's very different from a charge to just change your phone.
[doublepost=1459444043][/doublepost]

Unfortunately, with Verizon you can't just switch SIM cards. They use the internal IMEI number to identify you.

If it's an LTE phone, yes you can just switch the SIM card (at least with the iPhone).
[doublepost=1459444199][/doublepost]
I look forward to a day when retailers follow suit and charge me a cover fee just to enter the store. Phone companies really are the worst.
Why would you look forward to that?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.