Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Confirmed with a Verizon employee the device IMEI has to stay on the same line for 24 months. So no. Sneaky promo.

How is this sneaky? Did you not ask or better yet read what you signed? I like t mobile JOD, just walk in and get a new phone. If you don't want to do that, just pay off the last 6 months and it's yours, all interest free.

Reactions: willmtaylor

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
They do. The point of the installment plans are for the annual upgrade options is what they call it. You can upgrade your phone every 30 days if it's 50% or more paid off or you can upgrade every year and trade in your current phone and they start over. It's a good deal, but yes technically you'd be better off selling your phone and just using that money to buy it outright. But for me, even $325 is the most I've ever gotten for any of my iPhones.

Hmmm. If they let me walk in next year and basically do the same deal (trade in my 7+ for next year's phone and get $650 worth of credits for that and end the credits on the 6s+)...basically allowing me to start over, then that's a pretty good deal.

I went ahead and ordered a 7+ last night. It shipped today so I have some time to sort out whether or not I want to keep it. I am glad that the carriers are giving us some choices but I wish they were a little clearer on the details.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hmmm. If they let me walk in next year and basically do the same deal (trade in my 7+ for next year's phone and get $650 worth of credits for that and end the credits on the 6s+)...basically allowing me to start over, then that's a pretty good deal.

I went ahead and ordered a 7+ last night. It shipped today so I have some time to sort out whether or not I want to keep it. I am glad that the carriers are giving us some choices but I wish they were a little clearer on the details.
I, personally, haven't found the deals unclear, but it's not possible to know what will happen in September/October 2017. In all likelihood, the carriers themselves don't even know.

To expect more than that is silly.

Reactions: Thor_1

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
I, personally, haven't found the deals unclear, but it's not possible to know what will happen in September/October 2017. In all likelihood, the carriers themselves don't even know.

To expect more than that is silly.

The unclear part for me, are the requirements to continue getting the credits. I didn't read anywhere in the T&C for this deal that the 7/7+ that you buy had to be associated (by IMEI) with the line that you bought the phone on, but that seems to be what people here are stating.

I don't have any expectation that Verizon will do anything next year. I know that's an unknown.

Reactions: willmtaylor

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The unclear part for me, are the requirements to continue getting the credits. I didn't read anywhere in the T&C for this deal that the 7/7+ that you buy had to be associated (by IMEI) with the line that you bought the phone on, but that seems to be what people here are stating.

I don't have any expectation that Verizon will do anything next year. I know that's an unknown.

Yeah the IMEI thing is a but iffy to me because what if your current phone breaks and you use AC+ or insurance to get a new one? Then you'll have a new IMEI and SN.

I went back to my email with the trade in and the fine print says this:
If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop.

Reactions: BeeGood

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

From the Verizon website

$649.99 device payment pchse reqd on 32GB. Less $649.99 trade-in and promo credit over 24 mos; starts w/in 2-3 cycles; ends when balance is paid or line terminated/transferred; 0% APR. Fully-paid eligible trade-in must be in good working & cosmetic cond.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire

I think the confusion lies in the distinction of tying the credits to a device within your account. So, it is true that the device, the actual IMEI, has to be active on your account to get the monthly credit. What is not true is that it has to stay associated to the same number WITHIN your account for the credit to be valid, if you have multiple lines on your account. I upgraded two separate iPhone 6's and moved the new iPhone 7's to different lines WITHIN my account than the one I actually upgraded. Totally fine with VZW and totally legit for maintaining the credits, albeit maybe not on the exact phone numbers you upgraded. Hope this helps.

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
I think the confusion lies in the distinction of tying the credits to a device within your account. So, it is true that the device, the actual IMEI, has to be active on your account to get the monthly credit. What is not true is that it has to stay associated to the same number WITHIN your account for the credit to be valid, if you have multiple lines on your account. I upgraded two separate iPhone 6's and moved the new iPhone 7's to different lines WITHIN my account than the one I actually upgraded. Totally fine with VZW and totally legit for maintaining the credits, albeit maybe not on the exact phone numbers you upgraded. Hope this helps.

That definitely helps and is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Like @heyyitssusan said, the IMEI association part sounded odd. Glad that's not the case and I can freely move phones within my account!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.