Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Question, does anyone know what will happen to the people who bought the iPhone on Verizon with unlimited data?

Will we be able to keep these plans, or will we be forced to switch?

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
I bought a legally unlocked phone in Belgium. I have five numbers across three continents...how is this not world mode already?

But, I don't have a sim for anywhere in Asia...

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I would hate to think Apple will pass on a 4g option just because they are obsessed with thin. I'd be willing to give up. 1mm for an LTE chip.

modulo9

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Could someone shed some light/speculate what this means for the antenna design? As far as i know the metal band has to have different lengths on the phones for GSM/CDMA respectively.

How would that work on a "world phone" ?

2 isolated metal strips next to each other with half the width they have now?
Antenna placed in the interior again?

I'd say this would be a good argument for a complete/partial redesign...

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Data caps have killed the internet. RIP. All the better for app developers.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
I guess I need to buy a ThunderBolt 4G or Droid Charge to get GRANDFATHERED INTO VZW UNLIMITED 4G/3G DATA :D

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I'm glad I got the Verizon iPhone when I did. Yes, its about to be outdated, but I would much rather have the iPhone 4 with unlimited data than the next iPhone with a capped data plan.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I very much like the idea of sharing data, It would be great to have one data plan for my ipad and iphone, though they probably would take away my unlimited just like for tethering :( At least i can hack tethering, though, i cant hack this.... Maybe if i pay an extra $5 a month?

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Wonder (again) what Steve thinks about these "revelations?"

Steve is basically gone. He's just doing housekeeping now before he goes. That's why companies are no longer scared to say what they want, in their own interest.

Better for all, more information available to consumers.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
I can't think of anything more worthless than a 4G phone with a 200 MB data limit.

It doesn't matter, the battery will be dead before they use up there 200MB. My friend has an htc Thunderbolt, we watched 2 minutes of youtube via 4G, his battery was almost 40% used up. With regular usage he is only getting 6 hours a charge and that is with the bigger battery. In the end he resorted to disabling the 4G on the Thunderbolt. 4G capable chips are just not power efficient enough right now.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I would hate to think Apple will pass on a 4g option just because they are obsessed with thin. I'd be willing to give up. 1mm for an LTE chip.

4G capable chips are just not power efficient right now. Verizon's 4G is fast, but phones like the Thunderbolt drain very fast when watching youtube via the 4G network.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
You are COMPLETELY wrong. So wrong i wont even argue after this post. I switched to Verizon and got the Thunderbolt for LTE. On my iPhone 4 with AT&T I was around 800mb per month. With this thing the first month I went over 16 gig... last month 9 gig. Thats more data in a month than I did in an entire year on iPhone 4.

You cannot ever have a good LTE network and cap data at 2-5gb. You literally cant stay under it. Why give us that kind of speed and not be able to use it? Its called greed.

Just out of curiosity, what are doing to use that much data? I have a VZ Thunderbolt too and do pile up the data use as a WiFi hotspot. I can't imagine using that much data on the phone alone.

I'm not sure what I will do after the drop the free unlimited tethering; hopefully they will keep bumping it out one month at a time.

FWIW
DLM

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It doesn't matter, the battery will be dead before they use up there 200MB. My friend has an htc Thunderbolt, we watched 2 minutes of youtube via 4G, his battery was almost 40% used up. With regular usage he is only getting 6 hours a charge and that is with the bigger battery. In the end he resorted to disabling the 4G on the Thunderbolt. 4G capable chips are just not power efficient enough right now.

Your lying I have a Thunderbolt and can stream HD 720p youtube videos for 1 hour and only use 15-20% on LTE.

I get over 12 hours with normal usage daily. Stop spreading lies.

LTE is not the battery hog people make it out to be.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Your lying I have a Thunderbolt and can stream HD 720p youtube videos for 1 hour and only use 15-20% on LTE.

You watch an hours of YouTube videos?? LOL

Are you one of the people that comments on YouTube videos too?

:rolleyes:

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

No, I am not, I know what I saw. This is what my friend is getting with his Thunderbolt in the San Diego area. If what you are saying is true, please let me know, because then maybe he has a bad phone. Otherwise he is literally using it right now with 4G disabled.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
But if I already have an Unlimited Data plan I should be grandfathered in...right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.