Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Hey there,

I just got a new razr phone for my wife. I have been playing around, looking at all the features, and was wondering. How can I transfer music from my computer to the phone via bluetooth. My iMac recognizes the phone and I pick the file I want to send, but it won't work. I have heard Verizon has "locked" out some of the features on their phones. Is this one of the features they locked out?

thanks.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Hey there,

I just got a new razr phone for my wife. I have been playing around, looking at all the features, and was wondering. How can I transfer music from my computer to the phone via bluetooth. My iMac recognizes the phone and I pick the file I want to send, but it won't work. I have heard Verizon has "locked" out some of the features on their phones. Is this one of the features they locked out?

thanks.

Yes. I believe the only thing Bluetooth on a Verizon phone is good for is a headset.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I got my mom's Razr (with Verizon Wireless) to work with my mac. I can even send it full songs to use them as ringtones or to listen to them. I think it depends on how new your Razr is.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Have you tried using Apple's iSync and Bluetooth File Transfer programs?

yes I have. My iMac recognizes the phone and I use the bluetooth file transfer, pick the file, but the phone doesn't accept the file

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
Having just spent 2 hours with my Bell Mobility providers (where I bought my Razr last summer), I was just informed that my phone service does not allow bluetooth file transfers "because of security issues". There was no mention of this in the manual, and the supervisor said, "well not everything is in the manual":mad: I can't USB my photos to my Mac (the Razr doesn't do Mac), and the Razr does not have a smart card. My only tech option is to send my photos to my e-mail.
This may indeed be your problem with Verizon as well

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I also have the Verizon RAZR V3m, and it can't be done.

Transferring files such as photos or music requires OBEX, but this feature has been disabled by Verizon.

For that phone, bluetooth is only good for wireless headsets and syncing contacts.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Hey there,

thanks.
They block bluetooth data from being transmitted.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
A good reason to not use Verizon...much to the contrary of all the complaints I hear about Cingular, I've never had service problems anywhere in Western WA, not to mention all over Cleveland, Oahu and Maui. And all the gadgets my phone doesn't have would theoretically work perfectly :)

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
I can't USB my photos to my Mac (the Razr doesn't do Mac), and the Razr does not have a smart card. My only tech option is to send my photos to my e-mail.

According to Apple, the RAZR is compatible with iSync:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

Does this not mean that you can USB photos from a RAZR to a Mac? My family is considering renewing our contract with Verizon, and I'm trying to figure out which phone would allow us to download photos to our Macs for free.

thanks! :)

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
Ah yes, welcome to the world of Verizon. I have a razr with them as well, and everyone's right, this is an intentional crippling by Verizon. The only way to get files back and forth is to use their data transfer service, at additional cost of coarse. They suck out loud, and over the coarse of your contract the suckiness will continue to grow. Bluetooth or USB, it doesn't matter you must pay the devil.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
Bluetooth or USB, it doesn't matter you must pay the devil.

I've seen people on cell phone forums say that they can download photos from the RAZR with a USB cable for free. presumably they were using Windows...why is this not possible with Mac OS X? :(

Is there any phone in which a USB cable would work with a Mac?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
you need to do a seem edit.... head over to http://www.howardforums.com for more info

I did a seem edit on my e815. It's incredibly easy. I now have full BT usability, including DUN. I've also got BT to work on my girlfriend's LG V (I think thats what its called) and my sister's VX8300, both without doing a seem edit or changing the phone in any way.

While Verizon does make it harder than say AT&T to use BT, anyone that tells you flat out "its impossible" probably has no clue what they are talking about. More often than not, its an extremely easy fix to get BT fully (or close to fully) enabled.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
I've also got BT to work on my girlfriend's LG V (I think thats what its called) and my sister's VX8300, both without doing a seem edit or changing the phone in any way.

How did you get BT working on the LG VX8300? We're also looking at the VX8300 and BX5300, as well as the Motorola V325i. I had been thinking of sticking to Motorola phones b/c the Apple website says Moto phones are iSync-compatible, so I figured there would be less of a problem with drivers and such, compared to LG phones.

thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.