Verizon Wireless and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by downingp, Dec 2, 2006.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Hey there,

I just got a new razr phone for my wife. I have been playing around, looking at all the features, and was wondering. How can I transfer music from my computer to the phone via bluetooth. My iMac recognizes the phone and I pick the file I want to send, but it won't work. I have heard Verizon has "locked" out some of the features on their phones. Is this one of the features they locked out?

thanks.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. I believe the only thing Bluetooth on a Verizon phone is good for is a headset.

3. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I got my mom's Razr (with Verizon Wireless) to work with my mac. I can even send it full songs to use them as ringtones or to listen to them. I think it depends on how new your Razr is.

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

We have the newst Razr out. I believe it is the v3m model

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Have you tried using Apple's iSync and Bluetooth File Transfer programs?

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes I have. My iMac recognizes the phone and I use the bluetooth file transfer, pick the file, but the phone doesn't accept the file

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried iSync. When I get my hands on the phone again I will give that a try.

8. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Having just spent 2 hours with my Bell Mobility providers (where I bought my Razr last summer), I was just informed that my phone service does not allow bluetooth file transfers "because of security issues". There was no mention of this in the manual, and the supervisor said, "well not everything is in the manual":mad: I can't USB my photos to my Mac (the Razr doesn't do Mac), and the Razr does not have a smart card. My only tech option is to send my photos to my e-mail.
    This may indeed be your problem with Verizon as well

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I also have the Verizon RAZR V3m, and it can't be done.

Transferring files such as photos or music requires OBEX, but this feature has been disabled by Verizon.

For that phone, bluetooth is only good for wireless headsets and syncing contacts.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

10. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is all the talk about "unlocking" the Razr. How is this done?

11. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

They block bluetooth data from being transmitted.

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

A good reason to not use Verizon...much to the contrary of all the complaints I hear about Cingular, I've never had service problems anywhere in Western WA, not to mention all over Cleveland, Oahu and Maui. And all the gadgets my phone doesn't have would theoretically work perfectly :)

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Where did you read this?

14. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Supposedly there is a program out on the internet people use to unlock the features of the verizon phones.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've never heard of it, plus, I'm sure it voids your warranty (never a good thing).

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

you need to do a seem edit.... head over to www.howardforums.com for more info

17. beethovengirl macrumors regular

According to Apple, the RAZR is compatible with iSync:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

Does this not mean that you can USB photos from a RAZR to a Mac? My family is considering renewing our contract with Verizon, and I'm trying to figure out which phone would allow us to download photos to our Macs for free.

thanks! :)

18. mrthieme macrumors regular

Ah yes, welcome to the world of Verizon. I have a razr with them as well, and everyone's right, this is an intentional crippling by Verizon. The only way to get files back and forth is to use their data transfer service, at additional cost of coarse. They suck out loud, and over the coarse of your contract the suckiness will continue to grow. Bluetooth or USB, it doesn't matter you must pay the devil.

19. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Only smart phones or phones with removable memory like the enV

20. beethovengirl macrumors regular

I've seen people on cell phone forums say that they can download photos from the RAZR with a USB cable for free. presumably they were using Windows...why is this not possible with Mac OS X? :(

Is there any phone in which a USB cable would work with a Mac?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Or service providers other than Verizon. ;)

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I did a seem edit on my e815. It's incredibly easy. I now have full BT usability, including DUN. I've also got BT to work on my girlfriend's LG V (I think thats what its called) and my sister's VX8300, both without doing a seem edit or changing the phone in any way.

While Verizon does make it harder than say AT&T to use BT, anyone that tells you flat out "its impossible" probably has no clue what they are talking about. More often than not, its an extremely easy fix to get BT fully (or close to fully) enabled.

23. beethovengirl macrumors regular

24. beethovengirl macrumors regular

How did you get BT working on the LG VX8300? We're also looking at the VX8300 and BX5300, as well as the Motorola V325i. I had been thinking of sticking to Motorola phones b/c the Apple website says Moto phones are iSync-compatible, so I figured there would be less of a problem with drivers and such, compared to LG phones.

thanks! :)