Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi All,

Just looking for some advice for next steps. I have an iphone 6 plus 64gb on ios 11.3.1. The phone itself is slow but useable.
Over the weekend, I noticed some faint grey lines appearing vertically on the right hand side of the screen. Furthermore the screen would become unresponsive for a time. I would have to press hard on the top right corner of the handset (near the bezel) for the phone screen to respond to touch.

I'm fairly sure this is a touch disease issue and have booked an appointment on Friday to get it looked at. Looking at the Apple website, they can perform a repair for £156

For background this is a refurbished replacement, the same issue occurred with my launch day iphone 6 plus too. I was offered the option to purchase a replacement for £350, only after I complained at the high price did Apple replace for free.

My questions:

1) Am I correct in assuming this is a touch disease issue?
2) What should I expect Apple to do? Push me towards servicing the 6+? Or just buy a replacement outright?
3) Is there a liklihood of being offered another handset at a reduced cost?

Thanks in advance.
S

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
1) Am I correct in assuming this is a touch disease issue?

Yes, especially since you have to press down on the logic board area.

2) What should I expect Apple to do? Push me towards servicing the 6+? Or just buy a replacement outright?

Apple will likely direct you to the Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus. The store will simply replace your device with another refurbished replacement.

3) Is there a liklihood of being offered another handset at a reduced cost?
Low probability of that happening.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks all for your replies, I'm due at the Apple store for my appointment on Friday. I'm hoping that since this is the 2nd time this has happened on two different units, I might be able to convince Apple to offer a newer replacement (either a 6s plus or 7 plus)
Or if given the option, I may be tempted to go for either a 8 plus or x if offered at a discount.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hi all, just a quick update.
Went into the Apple store for my Genius app on Friday, was advised that I could receive a refurbished unit for the price of a screen replacement. (£150)
I left without taking up the option, but had to call Apple support to query why I was being quoted for a screen replacement as this was a multi-touch failure. Turns out there was an option for me to make a claim under UK consumer law protection. Unfortunately, due to a change in the law, I would have to experience 3 hardware failures before I was entitled to a refund on the iphone 6 plus. As this was the 2nd time it has happened, Apple CR advised my only option is to pay £150 for a refurbished unit, and if that unit fails, I can then make a claim under consumer law for a refund.

What should I do? My current phone is useable, though the grey lines are annoying and the screen is intermittently unresponsive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.