Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
This is about the least expensive way of getting what you want, a re-purposed Ikea napkin holder.
IMG_4601o.jpg

Reactions: Narked Diver

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I like the look of that - unfortunately nearest IKEA is an 800 km drive away :(
Doesn't have to be Ikea, I just showed that as a concept. Any department or kitchen supply store should have some type of napkin holders that would work.

Or you could spend the better part of $40 for something like this.

macguru5

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Georgia
I like the idea - has any one got any thoughts or recommendations?
I had a problem with the Mac Mini heating up when using flash for streamed videos. And I wondered about mounting it vertically, to better radiate heat.
First, though, I obtained a fan app that allows you to set temperature limits and fan speeds for all of your chosen temperature points.
That allowed me to monitor temperatures from multiple heat sensors inside the Mac Mini, valuable information. It does get hot in there.
So, even with that software turned off, mounting it vertically (using two bookends, or as one suggestion says, a napkin holder from any local store with a kitchen section) actually lowered the average temperature for the same usage by 10° centigrade, or 50° Fahrenheit.
SO many fan control apps are available, some for free, some for $15.00 or so. The one I settled on was Temperature Control Pro, by download for $15.00. A free version without some features is also available.
I really like it, and it works well to prevent Mac Mini and MacBook Pro fan over-running and overheating.
MacGur5

macguru5

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Georgia
I like the look of that - unfortunately nearest IKEA is an 800 km drive away :(
Perfect.
Forget IKEA.
I used two bookends for a while, but went out and bought a clear plastic napkin holder from a local store for $3.99 and it works perfectly, and looks cool.
The commercial vertical holders I found were around $50.00 each. Such a ripoff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.