Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Okay - I'm not computer savy AT ALL, but could work my way through Windows pretty easily. I now have a Mac and I have a Sony DCR-SR40, which apparently are not compatible from what I've been reading on these forums. All I need to know is exactly how to get video clips from my camera into my computer. Eventually, I would really like to edit and play around with the video, but right now I simply want to get the video into the computer so I can watch and send to friends.

At this point, I'm not really even sure the information to search for on these forums to make sure I'm asking the right question or getting the right answer. The computer has Final Cut Express? Does this have anything to do with importing the video, or is this simply an editing program??

Excuse my lack of knowledge - obviously any help is greatly appreciated!!!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You will likely need Quicktime Pro and MPEG Streamclip 1.5.1 (free) and the MPEG-2 Playback Component ($20 from Apple).
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

The camera doesn't have a Firewire port, and is not directly compatible with iMovie. You have to transfer the MPEG2 files to the Mac and then convert the files with the above software before they can be imported.

If the camera is brand new, I would seriously consider taking it back for a refund and getting a MiniDV model with Firewire.

As for searching: Start with the model number, that gets you
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/237102/

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
okay - i'm going to pull my hair out! I downloaded the QuickTime MPEG 2, and could play the video from my camera on the computer, but with no sound (which I expected after reading these threads). So I then downloaded the MPEG Streamclip which I was told would add the sound. I have no sound though and there is no way for me to actually get the video off the camera into the computer for good. It's only letting me play the video.

The LCD screen on the camera says "HDD connecting.... Keep USB cable connected" while it's on and attached to the computer, but it never does anything else.

This is driving me crazy. Am I doing something wrong?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
okay - i'm going to pull my hair out! I downloaded the QuickTime MPEG 2, and could play the video from my camera on the computer, but with no sound (which I expected after reading these threads). So I then downloaded the MPEG Streamclip which I was told would add the sound. I have no sound though and there is no way for me to actually get the video off the camera into the computer for good. It's only letting me play the video.

The LCD screen on the camera says "HDD connecting.... Keep USB cable connected" while it's on and attached to the computer, but it never does anything else.

This is driving me crazy. Am I doing something wrong?

If you bought that new I'd take it back and get one that was compatible with Universal Apps and Macs

Or you could go download that program from Sony and use the program just to transfer the mpeg-2 video to your computer.
Then use handbrake of simillar programs to convert it to mpeg-4 or DV.I don't believe iMovie supports mpeg-2 format.

If you connect it to your Mac and don't run iMovie does it show up in finder mounted as a hard drive?

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
If you bought that new I'd take it back and get one that was compatible with Universal Apps and Macs

Or you could go download that program from Sony and use the program just to transfer the mpeg-2 video to your computer.
Then use handbrake of simillar programs to convert it to mpeg-4 or DV.I don't believe iMovie supports mpeg-2 format.

If you connect it to your Mac and don't run iMovie does it show up in finder mounted as a hard drive?

Does what show up in Finder?

It's been more than 14 days since we got the camera, so it's not returnable...and we had a dell then, not a Mac. I'm missing it right now.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Does what show up in Finder?

It's been more than 14 days since we got the camera, so it's not returnable...and we had a dell then, not a Mac. I'm missing it right now.

When you connect the camera to your Mac via USB and turn it on.

Open finder and look on the left side and see if you see a white colored disk that looks like this one called "backup".Thats what a External USB drive looks like in OS X.Except it would be called something different.

I'm saying this because your camera has a hard drive.It's probably formated for Windows though.

Attachments

• sidebar.jpg
    sidebar.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 493

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I know, I'm an idiot.

Yes, there are 3 there. The one for the camera is title "No Name." The other two are the QuickTime MPEG2 and the MPEG Streamclip I downloaded.

iBenzin

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
I know, I'm an idiot.

Yes, there are 3 there. The one for the camera is title "No Name." The other two are the QuickTime MPEG2 and the MPEG Streamclip I downloaded.

whats inside the no name disc?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I know, I'm an idiot.

Ok.IF you already installed the QT and mpeg streamclip unmount the disk image by clicking on the up arrow next to the disks.

Now..

Click on the "No Name" one and see if it has any files in it.

As an addenum..Handbrake is MUCH better at encoding files that mpeg streamclip.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117

That's the original 0.7.1 Handbrake and is better than the "new" handbrake.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
3 files, they are titled:

MODELCFG.IND
AVF_INFO
MP_ROOT

When I click on the first two, a few other files appear within. When I click on any of them, a note appears that says "There is no default application specified to open ..."

The third file (MP_ROOT) opens the videos, but there is no sound with them and I can't transfer them.

oh, thank you for helping :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
3 files, they are titled:

MODELCFG.IND
AVF_INFO
MP_ROOT

When I click on the first two, a few other files appear within. When I click on any of them, a note appears that says "There is no default application specified to open ..."

The third file (MP_ROOT) opens the videos, but there is no sound with them and I can't transfer them.

oh, thank you for helping :)

Sounds like the MP_ROOT is a folder for the mpeg-2 files.Try dragging one to your desktop.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
It plays (still no sound) when I drag it to the desktop, but does this mean I'm going to have a bazillion video clips on my desktop? At this point, it just doesn't look like I can save anything to the computer. As soon as the camera is turned off, the No Name file disappears (obviously) and the videos do, too.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It plays (still no sound) when I drag it to the desktop, but does this mean I'm going to have a bazillion video clips on my desktop? At this point, it just doesn't look like I can save anything to the computer. As soon as the camera is turned off, the No Name file disappears (obviously) and the videos do, too.

you may be just creating a link to the file.Try right clicking on the file in the camera.Select copy.Then make a folder in your movies folder.Open the folder and right click and select paste.

We can work on the sound.But it sounds like your camera is creating a virtual DVD with pseudo VT_TS files etc..

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
And then drag the clips into the "clips" section of the imovies?

I don't know what you mean by this : "...it sounds like your camera is creating a virtual DVD with pseudo VT_TS files etc.."

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Peace Is Ultra Patient Compationate Instructor

I don't know what you mean by this : "...it sounds like your camera is creating a virtual DVD with pseudo VT_TS files etc.."
Can you return the camera or not? How much did it cost? I find this thread very informative and entertaining. Peace, you rule!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

You cant use iMovie for mpeg-2 videos..

Slip a regular DVD in your Mac and then look at the file structure.

There's a file that combines the video with the audio.This is normal for mpeg-2.It has two separate files combined into one to get audio/video.

You might be out of luck with that camera.I say might.There could be ways to get around it.I'd have to do some research.

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Can you return the camera or not? How much did it cost? I find this thread very informative and entertaining. Peace, you rule!

I know, I sound like an idiot. I did offer the disclaimer at the beginning of this thread that I am NOT very computer literate at all!! I was doing so good using Windows, then we switched to the Mac and I'm lost lost lost!!

And then came the camera.

Any tips?

Yes, Peace you've been great. Thanks. I think I need to sign off for the night though.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There's a VERY good lesson to be learned in this discussion.

NEVER buy a camera that isn't cross-platform compatible and make sure it does DV or HDV.Multimedia can help you with that.I just do instructions :p

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
You cant use iMovie for mpeg-2 videos..

You might be out of luck with that camera.I say might.There could be ways to get around it.I'd have to do some research.

Great.:rolleyes:

Pretending I can return it (which I can't), what camera would you suggest? Geez, all I want to do is video tape my horse shows, and my new baby on the way, and share both with friends and family via email. I'm not out to make movies!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
You Bought The Wrong Camera Knl

I know, I sound like an idiot. I did offer the disclaimer that I am NOT very computer literate at all!! I was doing so good with my dell, then we switched to the Mac and I'm lost lost lost!!

And then came the camera.
Look Knl, face it. You bought the wrong camera because you didn't do your research. A DV or HDV camera is what works with Macs at the consumer level. That may - I hope - change with Leopard and iMovie 7. But until then you are going to have to face the fact that only experienced advanced Mac Video Nerds can get footage out of that camera and into iMovie HD or even Final Cut Express HD 3.5.

Can you or can you not return the camera? How much did it cost? Please?
Great.:rolleyes: Pretending I can return it (which I can't), what camera would you suggest?
Sony HDR-HC7 Thread for NetDog. :p

knl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
wow - no need to be so harsh...and why are you so hung up on the price?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Not Harsh intentions

wow - no need to be so harsh...and why are you so hung up on the price?
Sorry. I don't mean to be harsh. I'm not hung up on price. I don't know that camera at all. How much did it cost?

HC7 is approaching $1100

Is your cameraa that expensive or is it in the upper hundreds?

Sony DCR-SR40 is not listed in the current lineup of Sony 2007 cameras. So it must be a 2006 model. If you can tell us how much you paid for it we may help you gauge what to do next.

Looks like it's a SD HDD camera. OK I have your manuals now. Studying them for hints.

Is it a 30GB HD? Looks like you may have paid $499? GUESS.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I figured it out...

Here's the specs from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR40.../B000GT47I6/ref=de_a_smtd/102-1557766-3712159

It should have an s-video out connector and a red/white analog audio out connector.

You're going to need an s-video cable
An RCA jack stereo audio cable.Commonly sold as RCA media cables with red/white for audio and yellow for composite video.You don't want to use the yellow composite cable for the video portion.Use the black s-video.

Now the weird part.

These cables will need to be connected to a converter box.One similar to the EyeTV 250.

Next :)

Connect the converter box to your Mac vis USB and run the EyeTV app.Making sure its connected to the camera AND you are using the camera in "Play Mode".

I'm sure there's a menu on the camera that does that.It's like connecting it to your TV to watch.Instead you are connecting it to the converter box which is connected to your Mac.

You wont lose any quality as the Camera you have is only 340 pixels.

I highly recommend Elgato products..

This way you keep your camera and continue to film the baby yet you make a small investment in a proven piece of Mac approved hardware to save to your Mac or iTunes and :apple: TV !

You can get a refurbished for $149.95 From Elgato.

sorry your particular camera isn't supported by Apple.That happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.