Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
Thanks for the quick reply. So you are not even allowed to bitstream DTS & Dolby encoded audio streams ... or... is this is not possible in tvOS ? AFAIK, on OSX you can bitstream audio, but only DTS and DD.. so the core stream (without the TrueHD, Atmos etc extensions).

So what I can do is playing MKV or MP4s with AAC LC... right ?

Yes, you are right! At least for now, what you can play is MKV, MP4s with AAC, AVI, etc.

PS: The App is already showing on the Spanish App Store (Latest tvOS build on my AppleTV SDK Unit)

IMG_1602.JPG

Last edited:

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
Yes, you are right! At least for now, what you can play is MKV, MP4s with AAC, AVI, etc.

PS: The App is already showing on the Spanish App Store (Latest tvOS build on my AppleTV SDK Unit)

IMG_1602.JPG

Not play any vídeo from osmc, now test and no work.

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
That's a shame about no AC3. Not likely to be incorporated because of licensing I suppose. Wish I had stopped using it on my DVD rips years ago.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
That's a shame about no AC3. Not likely to be incorporated because of licensing I suppose. Wish I had stopped using it on my DVD rips years ago.

Yep, I've been looking into it, and the price for that license is insane... I'm sorry but I don't think I'm getting it for now :(

I cant play anything from my nas

Can you find your NAS on the App? If so, are you able to access the main share folder at least? If so, have you tried putting in there any video to test, in the root folder? I've received some bug reports about some problems when browsing more than first level on certain NAS and protected servers (Luckily, it doesn't happens on every NAS)

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Hi, tried it out last night and have a couple questions/issues. Are you going to support DLNA or just Plex? In app it showed my DLNA server but going into it it just title the screen root and showed no content.

Is there support for nested folders? I added my videos folder as an SMB share on my mac mini server. I was able to load it but it wouldn't show anything nested more then one level deep. So since I'm organized at /category/title/videos or /category/title/subsection/videos I couldn't get to any of my videos. The categories showed find but going into any of them gave a empty list.

The app looked nice and flowed well for what I saw, so hopefully there's a solution.

Thanks

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Just tried this app out. It works very well with my WD Cloud Drive and supported nested folders.

Some things:

o needs editing abilities. i.e.: ability to delete files (my most requested feature)
o needs to be able to fast forward and rewind.
o needs to be able to remember playback position
o needs favorites folders

Great start so far. Looking forward to updates.

P.S. With the above features implemented I would pay $10 for this app without any hesitation.

Last edited:

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
So far so good app picked up my seagate home NAS and my windows 7 PC. It played my MP4 video files from nas that I made using handbrake.

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Just some things I noticed. When I go down the list names of my files about 12 or so down the font on the file names becomes unreadable. The first 10 or so are readable.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Great start to this app! I used it tonight to watch some videos from my NAS. Worked well with mkv files. Just am I missing something but there doesn't seem to be any way to FF or REW...? My biggest feature request is a player like this that will also let me delete files from my NAS after playing them.

flexyneat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Hi,
Promising app you have here, just tried to use it to play movies stores on my apple time capsule and none of the movies play, I get an "unable to open file " error after attempting to read/buffer the file up till about 50%.
Any ideas on what could be wrong?

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
OSMC was not included on this first build, only plex and SMB support (for NAA and computers).
Will look into it to include it in the next version.
My OSMC share all the files with Samba, and video explorer shows all files with 0 bytes.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Can I play videos straight from a hard drive attached to my Airport Express Extreme? Using File Explorer on my iPhone to airplay to my Apple TV at the moment.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Also looks like the app won't traverse folders on my samba share that are symbolic links...

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Big let down for me:

Appearently the SMB client doesn't support the concept of an account + password to access a shared folder. Video Explorer sees my NAS servers incl. all shared folders, but I can't browse them. Could you please add that ?

NAS servers I have: QNAP TS-451 and QNAP TS-119P, running QTS 4.2 with SMB and AFP on. I use account "admin" + password to access the shares.

dbknightx

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Just some things I noticed. When I go down the list names of my files about 12 or so down the font on the file names becomes unreadable. The first 10 or so are readable.
Same here. Looks like you are transposing two names on top of each other.

flexyneat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Hi @eiprol,
I'm using an apple time capsule as an SMB share and video explorer can browse all folders but is unable to play any files (mkv, mp4 or Avi) nothing plays.
Any ideas?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I tried your software but it will not connect to my Asus router in SMB mode. It tries to log in as a guest and I can't set any permissions for that. Could you build in a way to manually enter a username and password since your software cannot auto detect for some routers? My other SMB recognizes the need to login just fine, but it can't maintain my movies.

[EDIT: It's already 'Ready for Sale']

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that my app, Video Explorer, which is able to play content from your LAN Media Servers (including PLEX , NAS, and shared folders), is already In Review :)

You can take a look here
http://video-explorer.com

Screen2.png

Screen3.png

Screen4.png

I hope it gets approved for launch day!

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Just wanted to say that this works brilliantly with my MyBookLive so thanks for your efforts. Lack of fast forward or seeking is the only thing I noticed, or at least have the files auto-resume.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I updated the app today and I'm sorry to say that it's getting pretty terrible.

It now fails to play most files thus rendering it almost useless

The rewind and fast forward are bad

It tries to remember playback position but because of that there is no way to start the show from the beginning. You have to rewind all the way back which is a painful experience.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.