Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Hello all,
the News of the World (The Sun on Sunday) today carries a picture that it claims was annonymously mailed to them depicting the rumoured video iPod which they say will be announced on wednesday at the special event (no mention of the BBC at all). Looks a lot like some of the other pictures floating around (one consistent hoaxer!?) with a similar width to a gen 4 ipod, big screen at one end (landcape) with clickwheel on left hand side - i guess it would make sense for this to be reversible. They claim a 60gb capacity and price point for 450 pounds (expensive).

Haven't looked for the article via the website and haven't got the paper myself but sure a reader will be able to post the pic (which is in the NOTW2 section) before too long.

Would like to see powerbook update myself, but no matter.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The News of the World: that well-known paper of impeccable record and its expertise in all things Apple.

'anonymously mailed'... yeah, from any old Joe or Jane Bloggs who thinks they're onto a scoop.

Shows how much iPod news is news though.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
They claim to have carried a picture of the ROKR prior to its release. They may not be big on apple but at the moment the ipod is bigger than apple (i expect a good number of owners wouldn't remember teh maker's name off the top of their heads) and the sun has the biggest circulation of any british paper so if you are looking to break a story do you send it to an internet rumour site for mac geeks or to a massive tabloid?

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
carpe diem said:
Does any one have a link?
Thank You

Having looked at the news of the world website it doesn't appear to be on there. I shall take a picture of the picture when i go into work tonight (assuming that it hasn't already turned up on here by then).

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Thanks for that. Have to admit that i'm a little disappointed with it - they needed to maximise the screen space and if that meant ditching a click wheel in favour of something else (rocker switch or touch screen) then so be it. Not long to wait now, then we'll know the truth.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If they do announce a new iPod, I sincerely hope it's deeply flawed. I can't afford another one now. ;)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
The News of the World: that well-known paper of impeccable record and its expertise in all things Apple.
Never heard of News of the World. Is it a UK paper?

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Yep, it is. Google it. It's part of 'The Sun' group famous for their Page 3...

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
applemax said:
Well, I've attached the pics, but don't get too excited. I have a feeling you've seen them before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21727901@N00/

Is it just me, or that photo was PhotoShoped, the image on the iPod looks as it is on the surface of it and not underneath the plastic case.

Even I can do something like that: create a cover page in, InDesign, make fake photos in PS and print it out on either inkjet or office laser printer, fold it in have over other news paper and it done.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Also, remember that if this was true, their line would be: iPod mini, nano, photo - [V]ideo with a captial! They won't switch it for that. Hoax.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Mac_Freak said:
Is it just me, or that photo was PhotoShoped, the image on the iPod looks as it is on the surface of it and not underneath the plastic case.

It looks like an engineering or marketing concept model.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
God those images are old! They've been going around for months. I'm trying to remember where they came from originally - one of the forums, maybe iLounge.

I'll have to have a hunt around.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
jsw said:
If they do announce a new iPod, I sincerely hope it's deeply flawed. I can't afford another one now. ;)

Well the last 5 iPod announcements (not including iPod shuffle) have been flawed. iPod should be futurisitc! I have no idea why they went from the perfect 3rd gen iPod and then just took the second gen iPod and painted the wheel grey. There was NOTHING on the 4th gen iPod that was new from the 3rd gen iPod except for adding the tactile buttons; a step backward.

I hope they ditch the stupid ClickWheel! (Although it is great for branding people who wanted iPods because they were "hot" rather than actually wanting one).

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
How is the clickwheel stupid? Its incredibly intuitive. My little 7 year old cousin wanted a go of my iPod and found himself picking out tracks no problem. Thats what Apples all about. Simplicity but obvious design that gets the job done.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
jsw said:

Exactly. I only just managed to swallow a nano.. ;)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
ClarkeB said:
Well the last 5 iPod announcements (not including iPod shuffle) have been flawed. iPod should be futurisitc! I have no idea why they went from the perfect 3rd gen iPod and then just took the second gen iPod and painted the wheel grey.

I hope they ditch the stupid ClickWheel! (Although it is great for branding people who wanted iPods because they were "hot" rather than actually wanting one).
I have an iPod photo and my friend has a 3G iPod. The 3G one does feel more futuristic, just that light touch on the touch sensitive buttons, its just so sweet!
But I think the 4G clickwheel actually looks more futuristic, putting everything into the one clickwheel and still having it simple and effective. In my opinion (I know lots of people feel otherwise though) the 4G clickwheel is easier to use than the 3G, true I am used to the clickwheel over the 3G wheel, but even my friend with the 3G says its slightly easier. True it doesn't feel very cool and futuristic, but the tactile feedback it provides I feel is key.
ClarkeB said:
There was NOTHING on the 4th gen iPod that was new from the 3rd gen iPod except for adding the tactile buttons; a step backward.
Being able to control the entire iPod without lifting your thumb from the iPod and only needing it to move around a single circle and not move from the circle to touch the buttons above it for one. Project said the point well.

Just my 2 cents. (Then again I am biassed, being a 4G owner and all!! hehe!)

Those pictures I have seen before, like others. Whether or not Apple will release it this time I'm not sure, but I sure hope it's spot on. After all this hype, all this time, all this excitement, I hope it is lived up to, and that people haven't worked up too much of a perfect idea of what their video iPod would be like. It kinda happened with the iTunes ROKR phone.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Is the SUN one of those "Mother gives birth to daughter with a tail / JACKO has bigfoot's love child" type papers? Kinda looks like it from the pictures, but im not sure.

To hijack this thread further, The click wheel is much more functional than the non-moving parts of the 3G iPods. After a while the "tough sensitive" buttons on the 3G become not so sensitive. I had to push 3-4 times sometimes. I think the click wheel is just easier, (even if its not as cool) and thats why its in all the new iPods.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Koodauw said:
Is the SUN one of those "Mother gives birth to daughter with a tail / JACKO has bigfoot's love child" type papers? Kinda looks like it from the pictures, but im not sure.

Not really. They are somewhat sensationalist and love gossip but their stories are largely based in fact and they often break quite large stories although the journalistic value of these is often limited - beckham's affair, kate moss' cocaine snorting etc. They are generally pro government but quite right leaning and pride themselves on being a people's paper.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
jimN said:
They are generally pro government but quite right leaning and pride themselves on being a people's paper.

They're also another Rupert Murdoch mouthpiece so it's never too difficult to guess where they'll stand on most issues.

They're not like the National Enquirer though... they're much more dangerous!

I picked up News of the World today to have a look at it. I don't think I've seen the pics before but it doesn't look very convincing. Guess they must be short of news stories! :confused:

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
applemax said:
Well, I've attached the pics, but don't get too excited. I have a feeling you've seen them before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21727901@N00/

i cant believe that apple would develope a product that would be ANTI left handed. most of mac users are creative types which tend to be left handed.

just the fact that it wouldnt lend itself to be suitable for left handed people makes me wonder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.