Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longtimemacuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
I want to get a DVD onto my ipod, so I converted the DVD into mp4 format

I need a little help with the following steps to get the dvd into my ipod

thanks

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Are you moving a homemade movie or a commercial (and more importantly, copy protected) movie?

longtimemacuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
techound1 said:
Are you moving a homemade movie or a commercial (and more importantly, copy protected) movie?

it is a DVD of the movie Stripes, it is a store bought DVD

I thought be converting it to mp4 would allow you to install it to your ipod (I used the program Instant Handbrake)

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
longtimemacuser said:

I thought be converting it to mp4 would allow you to install it to your ipod (I used the program Instant Handbrake)

What you're doing with Handbrake is a violation of the DMCA.

In general terms, having got an unencrypted file that is in a format the iPod can take, you open iTunes and drag the file into your Library, then drag it from your Library listing onto the iPod in the left pane. It should be transferred automatically

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
longtimemacuser said:

Excellent choice of movies! "Urban Assault Vehicle" classic :p

A description of using Handbrake (and its legality) was featured in January Macworld.

longtimemacuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
sorry, but I still can't seem to figure this out :(

can someone please tell me in simple language what I need to do to get a mp4 video to my ipod

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
longtimemacuser said:
sorry, but I still can't seem to figure this out :(

can someone please tell me in simple language what I need to do to get a mp4 video to my ipod

Download Handbrake Lite, put your DVD in, choose your DVD from within Handbrake Lite, rip the DVD, drag the ripped file to iTunes and then plug in your iPod. It will automatically update. (you have to have the ripped file on the same hard drive as iTunes (your boot drive generally) for iTunes to add them to your iPod).

Get Handbrake Lite by right clicking on this link and save it to your download location:

http://www.isquint.org/HandBrakeLite.dmg

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Democrat622 said:
i have handbrake, but whats instant handbrake and handbrake lite?

I don't know what Instant Handbrake is, but Handbrake Lite is a stripped down version of Handbrake without all the choices. It simply rips a DVD into an iPod ready format. Period. Download it and find out.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
spinne1 said:
I don't know what Instant Handbrake is, but Handbrake Lite is a stripped down version of Handbrake without all the choices. It simply rips a DVD into an iPod ready format. Period. Download it and find out.
just downloaded it. is it faster in any way? i think the options are ok, 'cause im a power user;) :rolleyes:

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
yg17 said:
**** the DMCA. He legally bought it (I'm assuming) and should be allowed to do what he wants with it.

I agree too, but decrypting a DVD is nevertheless currently a violation of the DMCA. Just because we disagree with it doesn't make it legal

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I think it's perfectly legal to put a legally owned movie onto a legally bought piece of hardware. It's just like playing it on a dvd player, you just don't have the disk with you.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
calebjohnston said:
I think it's perfectly legal to put a legally owned movie onto a legally bought piece of hardware. It's just like playing it on a dvd player, you just don't have the disk with you.

Not true. This is not the same as playing on a DVD player or playing on your computer. Neither of these scenarios leave you with a decrypted copy of the movie. It's the act of converting the DVD using Handbrake into a decrypted copy that contravenes the DMCA. I'm not defending the situation by the way, just explaining the situation as I understand it.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
blodwyn said:
Not true. This is not the same as playing on a DVD player or playing on your computer. Neither of these scenarios leave you with a decrypted copy of the movie. It's the act of converting the DVD using Handbrake into a decrypted copy that contravenes the DMCA. I'm not defending the situation by the way, just explaining the situation as I understand it.

I thought there was still legal disagreement about this. Creating the Handbrake software is considered illegal, but using it is more of a gray area. At least that's how Macworld painted it (see in my previous post). Quoting from that article:

Macworld said:
Is this legal?

Creating software that extracts video from the copy-protection system used on DVDs is illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)—even if the software is meant only to extract video from personal DVD collections for personal use.

However, the law is murkier when it comes to using tools such as HandBrake and MacTheRipper. Common sense would suggest that if you’re extracting video from DVDs you own in order to view them yourself, you’re well within your rights. But common sense and the law don’t always intersect. Some court rulings suggest that it’s not unlawful to circumvent DVD protection for noninfringing purposes; on the other hand, the Motion Picture Association of America maintains that any DVD ripping violates the DMCA.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
discoforce said:
I thought there was still legal disagreement about this. Creating the Handbrake software is considered illegal, but using it is more of a gray area. At least that's how Macworld painted it (see in my previous post). Quoting from that article:

That's probably a fair summary and is a good clarification, albeit a clarification that makes it less clear :confused: . I guess the advice is "Let the ripper beware"

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
blodwyn said:
I agree too, but decrypting a DVD is nevertheless currently a violation of the DMCA. Just because we disagree with it doesn't make it legal

Why do people feel obligated to give unsolicited legal advice? Last I checked the unauthorized practice of law was also a crime. Some of the people in this site love to be the first on a thread to tell you what you may be violating. I just find it a bit humorous. These are the same people who were hall monitors their freshman year of highschool. It's interesting how many DMCA experts there are in here. Maybe it should be http://www.dmca.com rather than macrumors.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
ldburroughs said:
Why do people feel obligated to give unsolicited legal advice? Last I checked the unauthorized practice of law was also a crime. Some of the people in this site love to be the first on a thread to tell you what you may be violating. I just find it a bit humorous. These are the same people who were hall monitors their freshman year of highschool. It's interesting how many DMCA experts there are in here. Maybe it should be http://www.dmca.com rather than macrumors.

We were doing OK up until this post. Oh well.

A. Stating a fact is not giving legal advice
B. I think this is the first time I've brought this up, just happened to be early on the post, so I think your remark is unwarranted
C. Posting on a forum does not constitute unauthorized practice of the law
D. Macrumors discourages breaking copyright law (Things not to do #3 on the forum rules)
E. Hall monitors in Freshman year of High School only applies to people who went to High School in the US. Does not apply in my case, so again unwarranted.
F. Discussing stuff like the DMCA is informative. I'd rather know as much as I can about the topic

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
from the forum rules:

Warez/Serials/Keys - posts that give software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific software or websites whose purpose is for breaking software licensing methods, obtaining or using commercial software in violation of its license, and/or for copyright violation.

Like it or not discussion about how to bypass the DCMA is a violation of TOS for the forum.
Also we need people to "hall monitor" the forums because if the forums becomes a place for hacks and warez, this forum we know and love will probably be shut down.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
skubish said:
from the forum rules:

Like it or not discussion about how to bypass the DCMA is a violation of TOS for the forum.
Also we need people to "hall monitor" the forums because if the forums becomes a place for hacks and warez, this forum we know and love will probably be shut down.

Excellent points.

I linked to the Macworld article based on the, perhaps naive, reasoning that:
1. Macworld was correct in their interpretation of the DCMA and
2. There are tons of threads with macrumors contributors and demi-deities giving advice/links on Handbrake.

Have the moderators of macrumors reached a consensus on Handbrake? Obviously this has moved well off the original topic...

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
turning things round yet again! i want to rip the DVD of the UK series 'the mighty boosh' this weekend so it won't waste so much battery on my powerbook when watching it. question is what should i use to do this? handbrake or mac the ripper? and also, how easy will it be to do seeing as the DVD is compiled of six episodes rather than a single feature film?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
student_trap said:
turning things round yet again! i want to rip the DVD of the UK series 'the mighty boosh' this weekend so it won't waste so much battery on my powerbook when watching it. question is what should i use to do this? handbrake or mac the ripper? and also, how easy will it be to do seeing as the DVD is compiled of six episodes rather than a single feature film?

MacTheRipper is what you'll need. Do a 'Full Disc Extraction' and then once it's done, just open DVD Player and select 'Open Media' from the File menu and navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder which MacTheRipper created. You'll get the normal menu as if you were watching the DVD itself, and you can just select the episode you want to watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.