Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Ever since iOS 5 anytime someone sends me a video the quality is terrible. I've received video from my friend who is also on an iPhone 4 on iMessage and through regular text and both of them weren't really watchable because the video is so blurry.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When videos are sent via MMS or iMessage, they are greatly compressed in order to be sent.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
When videos are sent via MMS or iMessage, they are greatly compressed in order to be sent.

So is there a way to not compress them? They were never this bad before os 5 but now I can't even watch them.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Nope. Its a restriction of the MMS protocol. With higher quality video files, the more compressed the video becomes.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
You could try compressing them to a smaller file size yourself, on your computer, before sending.

That's what I always do and have never had a problem with them coming out blurry.

RinkoWingMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
iMessage blurry video solution

Hi Folks,

I encountered the same problems;
When I sent a video through iMessage to my wife's iPhone and my iPad. It arrived at her iPhone 4 and later iPhone 5 extremely blurry.
No solutions found on the internet.

We have similar phone contracts even signed them on the same day. Mine is fine. Hers is blurry.

I found that the only difference was, she was using a hotmail email as 'You can be reached by iMessage at:' and her phone number.
I was using gmail. Apparently that did it. I changed her hotmail there to her gmail account and made sure I chose her gmail as the iMessage recipient.
That did it.

Not blurry anymore.

So no need to email them. Just make sure you send it to the gmail recipient for iMessage.

Good luck peeps..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.