Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAmUndefined

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Pre-Ordered

I actually really liked the way Tim Cook presented today. It was 100x better than the 4S announcement. Jobs was a good presenter but so is Cook and I don't see why everyone is complaining.

I expect Apple to announce significant pre-orders for the 24-hour period today. I sold my iPad 1 about 2 weeks ago for $350 because the Retina display alone is worth the upgrade.

That being said I hope Tim Cook's tease of greater innovations in 2012 are real and I hope they really improve upon iOS and hopefully (maybe?) release the mythical Apple HDTV.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Well, I was no big fan of Steve Jobs' keynotes, but I did admire his showmanship. Great Keynotes, no doubt.

But... is it just my perception, or was today's presentation extremely LAME?

I mean, regardless of how excited (or not) one can be for the new iPad, the keynote performers' style, rhythm and general organization was, IMO, just boring.

Or is it that this ***** doesn't bring the same excitement anymore? I mean, the will be "new" iCrap every year, new iOS, new OS X.... all with relatively marginal improvements over its predecessors. Rarely something groundbreaking...

Any thoughts?

Get used to this.. Try to focus on the product and not on the showmanship… There is no second Steve Jobs, so don't comparing his performance with the keynote performance of the guys…

On the other hand, lately people were complaining even for Steve Jobs performances. Don't you remember the comments on Steve Jobs first iPad reveal keynote? Don't you remember how people were talking just how frail he looked when he talked about iCloud?

Steve jobs was a great performer before 2008, till he revealed his first iPhone. I believe the iPod and iPhone keynotes where impressive not only because of Steve's showmanship but also because they revealed a new ground breaking technology.. The iPad was like "a bigger iPhone" so even if Steve jobs did the keynote, people left unimpressed.

Try to think Cook, with his laid back style revealing a super high tech technology of an exotic new device. Say a 3D holographic new type of computer that can project images in real space that provide haptic feedback.. I bet you will get the shivers.. And this is because you will see someone confident, calm talking about something that definitely pushes technology evolution forward..

So don't think just in black and white.. Life is nothing more than shades of grey...

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Great job to all those involved. Looking forward to some incredible new products in 2012!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This wa,s after all, an iOS product Keynote. It would have made perfect sense to hand over to Scott almost completely with Tim only introducing and wrapping up.

There wasn't a major software update was there? I'm sure when iOS 6 comes out he'll be on stage talking about it. Either at WWDC or when the new iPhone is released.

----------

I have a feeling Forstall and Ive probably didn't want to take part.

The conversation probably went something like this; "I'm going to bow out of this one Tim, I'll contribute to the iPhone 5 keynote in the summer."

Anyway, 'at the end of the day', let the products speak for themselves.

Can someone hazard a guess as to when the keynote will be available to download? I want to watch it on the big tv in the living room :p
I get the feeling Schiller is going to be the new pitchman. Cook wil be there to start things off and end them but the guts will be Schiller.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
This would be too painful to watch again.
Tim Cook is so so so dry and boring in his delivery. :-(
He reminds me of an inexperienced preacher who is reading someone else's sermon without feeling or emotion. :-(

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
This just in!! All the innovating and revolutionizing will be handled by Google and Android henceforth.

Heh. You're pretty clueless. :rolleyes: Innovating and "revolutionizing" has always been handled by others--Xerox thought up the whole mouse thing, for example. And there was plenty of "FaceTime" type phones before the iPhone.

Apple is, and has always been the one who "revolutionizes" by "perfecting" what exists and putting it into a package that makes it accessible, usable, and capable of transforming people's lives. That is what they do. And so far, from what I've seen of Google and Android, all they do is go "oh, gosh, that's how we should have done it!" copy Apple and then come up with an idea that bumps it in some "innovative" but clumsy direction that doesn't seem at all useful...until Apple takes that and, again, shows everyone how to do it right.

That is and has always been Apple's primary magic. To make something that didn't work, work. To do it right. And I think Apple still has that magic even if it is going to take it some time to recover and find its way back--in regards to presenting their products--after having lost their brightest light.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
This is just plain impressive. You may see hard-core droid people give in and buy one :)

One thing I though strange was the $100 price drop on the iPad 2. I really couldn't imagine anyone saying: "I'll give up Retina, processors, HD cam, etc..." for $100...

I also really expected it to have more memory. I expected the low end to now be 32 or at least some kinda memory addon option.

Sk8-Rat

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Background

any chance anyone has a picture of the background he is standing in front of? I cannot seem to find it anywhere online :( and its too awesome to not have on my iMac. The background I am refering to is the one that was put up on the outside of the building as well. Kind of like paint swirls with the apple logo in the middle. Can't seem to recreate it myself :(

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
This is just plain impressive. You may see hard-core droid people give in and buy one :)

One thing I though strange was the $100 price drop on the iPad 2. I really couldn't imagine anyone saying: "I'll give up Retina, processors, HD cam, etc..." for $100...

I also really expected it to have more memory. I expected the low end to now be 32 or at least some kinda memory addon option.

Not strange at all. Only the rear camera is improved which isn't much utilized among most people. The CPU is the same. The GPU is more powerful but it's also pushing 4x the pixels so performance between 3rd gen iPad and iPad 2 is a wash. Only real thing you're giving up is the retina display. For some people it's not worth $100, particularly if it's being purchased as a gift which I suspect will be quite common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.