Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
He's not wrong.
If your car doesn't have a standard USB port then this new cable doesn't effect you in the slightest.
If your car does have a standard USB port then this new cable doesn't effect you in the slightest.
This new cable isn't going to have any impact at all upon car manufacturers.
The manufacturers that were planning on adding USB can still do so and the ones that weren't can't rightfully use this as an excuse because for all practical purposes it is still a standard USB 2.0 cable.

Like I said before USB ports are very rare in cars today! If you believe in manufactures claims of USB ports in cars then I have a bride in Brooklyn to sell you.

For your information car manufactures don't really control internal head units! Those units are third party made to dimension for their head units. The only one I believe will be first in Apple CarPlay because cheap car manufactures then to use of the self parts instead of custom rigs! So the real expensive cars will take a couple of years more to get standard USB ports.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Your wrong. Take for pexample Volkswagen's you have to buy a cable and they still have proprietary 30 pin only cable. Plus Volkswagen isn't the only car manufacture that uses proprietary cables and have yet caught up with Apple's current Lightning Cable. Like I said before standard USB ports are very rare in cars! :eek:

----------

Like I told other people USB ports in cars us STILL very rare! Even expensive cars use proprietor cables and yet have added the current Lighting Cable! Only the 30 pin iPod cables are available from car manufactures.

They are NOT rare. Secondly, if you did any research you would know that VWs don't use USBs, they use the MDI interface which doesn't have a single thing to do with USB. It's MDI to Lightning, not USB to Lighting. Christ.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Like I said before USB ports are very rare in cars today! If you believe in manufactures claims of USB ports in cars then I have a bride in Brooklyn to sell you.

No one cares how rare or not rare USB ports are.
You implied that this cable was going to discourage maunfacturers from supporting AirPlay.
If anything it should encourage them because Apple has showed that they are committed to supporting the existing USB standard for at least an other generation of devices.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
They are NOT rare. Secondly, if you did any research you would know that VWs don't use USBs, they use the MDI interface which doesn't have a single thing to do with USB. It's MDI to Lightning, not USB to Lighting. Christ.

Not in the States!

----------

You implied that this cable was going to discourage maunfacturers from supporting AirPlay.
If anything it should encourage them because Apple has showed that they are committed to supporting the existing USB standard for at least an other generation of devices.

I did not say Airplay, I said CarPlay! Plus I originally said that Apple might change again the type of iPhone/ iPod connection and manufactures of cars most use a proprietary cable and most of those car manufactures are at least two years behind the time on their head units. Most still only have 30 pin connectors and haven't yet make a Lighting cable.

Then I say again standard USB ports are very rare in car head units. Even the third part head unit makers rarely include a USB port.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Not in the States!

No. You're wrong, period. USBs are in most car models and VW uses the MDI interface to connect to iOS devices. Everything is already connected via Bluetooth anyways- music, phone, turn-by-turn, contacts. The Carplay standard Apple is pushing is ultimately intended to use Apple's Airplay protocol. You need only have the phone plugged in a power source. You don't even need USB port for this. And what part of the plug being reversible don't you understand? Their new plug is intended to plug into any USB port in whichever direction, it's using the same damn standard. My god man.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

We'll read the article Mercedes-Benz & Volvo delay CarPlay into 2015, Pioneer Update still MIA.

Plus try to get Lighting cables for a 5 or 5S in about 1 ½ years if Apple changes to this new USB reversible USB cable.

----------

No. You're wrong, period. USBs are in most car models and VW uses the MDI interface to connect to iOS devices. Everything is already connected via Bluetooth anyways- music, phone, turn-by-turn, contacts. The Carplay standard Apple is pushing is ultimately intended to use Apple's Airplay protocol. You need only have the phone plugged in a power source. You don't even need USB port for this. And what part of the plug being reversible don't you understand? Their new plug is intended to plug into any USB port in whichever direction, it's using the same damn standard. My god man.

Like you said MMI cable. When will companies like VW go to a simple USB port? These companies always seem a couple of years behind the times on their head units. Even Android users would love a standard USB port in their new cars.

Even some third party manufactures have substandard Bluetooth in them and lack USB connections!

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Plus try to get Lighting cables for a 5 or 5S in about 1 ½ years if Apple changes to this new USB reversible USB cable.

So why not get a reversible cable? Does your faith mandate that "thou shalt not reverse thy USB connectors" or what is the problem?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Unlike your cell phone fanboyism a lot of us only change our cell phone every two years.

So? What has that got to do with getting a new cable? I don't think that anyone is suggesting that Apple is going to abandon the Lightning connector any time soon.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Lightning cables contain additional circuitry. Read this:
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...analysis-of-the-apple-lightning-to-usb-cable/

The component cost is higher than standard iPod / iPad cables, but likely Apple still generates a very nice margin on these cables.

Yes, the old, 30-pin cables cost $19.00.
As I stated, however, the lightning cables *still* only cost $19.00.

I'm trying to figure out how people 'round up' from $19 to $29 or $30.

----------

That's US price. The price in where I'm living is close to $26-$27 after conversion. It's my fault for using the dollar sign though ;)

Fair enough. :D

It's something I see all the time, though. Even from folks in the US who want to complain about the price of Apple's cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.