Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
What's the point of iOS's Photostream and wifi sync capabilities if every day I have to plug it into my computer and manually select and download the video clips? This is retarded.

:mad:

I agree. Sort of. Before Photostream, I had eyefi. Eyefi is an SDHC card you buy that has built in wifi. Pop it in your digital camera and it transfers photos and (if you select) videos whenever it can. The problem is it was very slow to transfer videos. I mean very slow. So I had to leave my digicam on and keep touching the button to wake it up so it could finish transferring videos.

Later, eyefi released an app for iOS that does the same for photos and (if you select) videos on your iPhone. Sending over a few hundred meg of photos is nothing compared to 3 or more gig of videos. After my experience with my digicam, I decided I wasn't even going to try eyefi's video transfer from my iPhone. Now that Photostream came along, I only use eyefi for my digicam. Photostream is good enough for getting photos off my phone.

The slow transfer rate for video over wifi is why it doesn't bother me so much that iPhoto doesn't transfer video. I go dig out that cable every now and then and connect my iPhone. I don't allow the dreaded iTunes to launch. Instead, I use "image capture" to grab (and delete) videos from my iPhone. It's something I have to do about 3 or 4 times a year. My next iPhone will have more internal memory so I can take my time clearing off videos. BTW, just so you know I have 802.11n and my Mac says it gets 270 MB connection so it's not just slow wifi that makes sending video a pain. Until true gigabit wifi comes along I think I'll stick with using the cable for videos.

I just noticed iOS6 is rumored to be bringing photostream for videos. I hope they allow us to switch videos off if it's too slow but keep photostream for photos...

Last edited:

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Not that this is a super old thread, but...

While it does suck that Photostream doesn't do video. You have to look at it the Apple way. Apple needs everything to WORK. And WORK WELL.

Video over Photostream would not work well. Photostream uploads to Apple servers and doesn't use the local network. That limits it greatly. Just imagine how long it would take to upload a 500MB HD video over a home connection that ranges from 0.5mbps-3mbps upload on average. It sure wouldn't be "instantaneous" as it is in the commercials.

If Apple were to be smarter about it and use the local network FIRST, then upload to the cloud, maybe we could have video over Photostream. Especially since Photostream only uses Wifi, its kind of stupid that it doesn't share over the local network. With 802.11n actual speeds ranging from 20-120MB/s, it could be near instantaneous.

Sliverbullet

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
New Dropbox does this

Long time lurker, first time poster. The update today for the Dropbox app automatically pulls video now. I'm guessing iCloud will add it eventually, but at least there is no need to plug in to a computer.

Last edited:

ihatedroids

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I just email the videos to myself, login to my email account on the pc, and then download them. Then they are on my computer.

I wish they would upload to photostream along with my photos, but the way I'm doing it doesnt require much effort. I have a separate email account I only use for videos. Whenever I have time, I get on my computer, login to that account and get all of my vids on my pc at once. I usally email the videos to myself right after I take them, that way I don't have to worry about it again.

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I just email the videos to myself, login to my email account on the pc, and then download them. Then they are on my computer.

I wish they would upload to photostream along with my photos, but the way I'm doing it doesnt require much effort. I have a separate email account I only use for videos. Whenever I have time, I get on my computer, login to that account and get all of my vids on my pc at once. I usally email the videos to myself right after I take them, that way I don't have to worry about it again.

Umm that kinda limits you to short videos and you loose the HD.

If you want to upload wirelessly, Dropbox is probably your best bet. You even get 500MB additional storage for free for every 500MB you upload.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Any good work arounds to this mess as of now?

Yes. Videos work in shared photostreams with ios 7. I created a shared stream called videos. I am the only participant. Any videos I take that I want to keep or move to my PC I just drop into the videos photostream. Wah la. The video is now on all my devices and my PC.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
You can also use photo upload apps like Dropbox & Loom to make sure your videos are backed up / accessible elsewhere.

Not ideal, but better than nothing

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Yes. Videos work in shared photostreams with ios 7. I created a shared stream called videos. I am the only participant. Any videos I take that I want to keep or move to my PC I just drop into the videos photostream. Wah la. The video is now on all my devices and my PC.

Is this still our best option. Or is iOS 8 going to change anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.