Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
So when people scratch the 773H out of their Sport screens, will they be able to buy a sapphire screen third party? Looks to be simple enough to replace.

patrickcwelsh

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2015
Atlantic City, NJ
To call this a launch is a joke. This has been a complete FUBAR, but the team at Apple. I really hope they can get their act together quickly and clean up the smelly stuff quick.

Everyone's mad about their EOD being backed up and not having their watch yet, but look how much everyone WANTS it. Apple really knows how to make people want something. Not only do they make a product everyone wants, they then dangle it on a rope and tell you you have to wait.

I did not originally want one, but even with the wait time I'm now reconsidering.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I think I've never been this placid and unexcited about a new Apple product.

As mentioned way above, a switch to turn off the incessant Watch news would be a welcome addition.

mellomike

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
The world still hasn't realized that it's not about the actual product that Apple releases or how quick they were to enter a new category of technology .... it's all about the developers. The developers and their apps are what's going to sell this product.

Honestly when I first saw the watch... I was like.. it's cool and neat, but meh. But once I started seeing what developers were doing (even before they had a physical watch in their own hands) I was sold.

This device could have a future as long as Apple's amazing 3rd party developers keep pushing the platform forward, like they've done with iOS over the years.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Is it really beyond your comprehension that people actually have a clearly thought out use case for themselves for the Apple Watch? A use case that will benefit them and meet THEIR needs? That, god forbid, somebody finds something useful that YOU don't?

Oh...and what else is happening with Apple or Tech in general...nothing really. So just leave and wait a few weeks before coming back to the apple or tech-centric sites. Alternatively ,nobody would care if you left and ever came back to complain and moan about "conspiracies/scandals"...

Fair enough, but honestly as of this post 11 out of the 12 articles on the front and 6 of the 8 second page articles prominently or exclusively feature Apple Watch content.

Thats a solid 85% of whats on the News Blog as being focused on Apple Watch, and this isn't just today...

I find it odd that one of the main reasons that people don't wear watches (if you as a typical smart-phone owner) is that they 'have a phone' in their pocket.

Yet _somehow_ Apple has managed to sell millions of watches to these same people who obviously already own a phone that is capable of nearly _every single feature_ that the Apple Watch has, and most likely if surveyed do not currently wear watches. (There are obvious exceptions, but for crying out loud look around today at the number of people who don't wear watches... and who will be doing so after getting their Apple Watch - for some reason)

I think this is something of a scandal and yes I will agree with a previous poster displays 'hype' of amazing proportions, gargantuan I might add.

fromoxwithlove

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Hey guys - had a friend speak to the store around 11am. They said they might not be able to get through the whole line before they close. But how is that possible? I am thinking of just going tomorrow morning for the space gray

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I ordered my watch a week ago and they had the arrival date in June but I just got it from my UPS lady, 3:00 pm. Did any of you late people get yours today? I have the Sport/green. I think it may have to do with being the cheapest model and the green (I bet they made millions of them) while the other types are in shorter numbers. I do think the est ship date was bogus.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
exactly how are you qualifying this as a FUBAR?

seriously, how?

Look, I have or have had every single product Apple has made with the exception the Mac Pro and the server (when that was available) going back to the Apple II +. I have been through quite a few launches. I have stood in line on Launch dates, and I have stayed up all night to get my order in. Yes the order website did not crash this time, but to be out of inventory in less than 60 seconds is simply embarrassing. (in some way, you could argue becasue it is a new category, but this is Apple and they know demand). They then said sorry no actual in store purchases until who knows. They did have inventory for people at special stores but not their own. And then you have that wierd video of Angela.

Apple has always found a way to turn those long lines into a positive. They recovered quickly from the crashes. They were always smooth in their explanations.

This launch has none of those characteristics.

And that is how I qualify this as FUBAR. It is so far off the Apple mark that it needs to be called out.

One last thing I just thought of -- I got a delivery date of May 14-28 when I pre-ordered and I still have gotten no updates, and yet some that had later dates are getting notice that they will get delivery sooner. Again that seems wrong, they should fulfil orders in the sequence recieved.

The only thing they have gotten right is the product. That I am truly excited about, but the launch - FUBAR.

Tjwardach

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
And the rest of us are stressing out rapidly refreshing the order page every 5 milliseconds hoping to finally see something other then f**ing "Processing"

It is totally messed up that I ordered in the first couple minutes and the only update I've received on my order is the Email of Death on Wednesday :(

I thought I was the only one refreshing the order page or the Apple Store App.:apple:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Fair enough, but honestly as of this post 11 out of the 12 articles on the front and 6 of the 8 second page articles prominently or exclusively feature Apple Watch content.

Thats a solid 85% of whats on the News Blog as being focused on Apple Watch, and this isn't just today...

I find it odd that one of the main reasons that people don't wear watches (if you as a typical smart-phone owner) is that they 'have a phone' in their pocket.

Yet _somehow_ Apple has managed to sell millions of watches to these same people who obviously already own a phone that is capable of nearly _every single feature_ that the Apple Watch has, and most likely if surveyed do not currently wear watches. (There are obvious exceptions, but for crying out loud look around today at the number of people who don't wear watches... and who will be doing so after getting their Apple Watch - for some reason)

I think this is something of a scandal and yes I will agree with a previous poster displays 'hype' of amazing proportions, gargantuan I might add.

Even though the Steve Jobs "Reality Distortion field" is gone, the FORCE is still with Apple.

Go figure:)

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Is it really beyond your comprehension that people actually have a clearly thought out use case for themselves for the Apple Watch? A use case that will benefit them and meet THEIR needs? That, god forbid, somebody finds something useful that YOU don't?

Oh...and what else is happening with Apple or Tech in general...nothing really. So just leave and wait a few weeks before coming back to the apple or tech-centric sites. Alternatively ,nobody would care if you left and ever came back to complain and moan about "conspiracies/scandals"...

Hey now, some of us are just real dumb-dumbs and don't comprehend much at all.

So, those complaining about what they see as an over saturation of every ridiculous Apple Watch detail (shipping times down to the second, some model wearing the watch in an ad, etc.) are not welcome here, but (just you wait) the army of nit-picky complaints sure to come from those receiving/using their watches are? Or are they not welcome either, in your mind?

Many of us used to get excited about Apple's commitment to creative professionals and we are the reason Apple didn't fold in the 90's before the iMac. Since those days are long gone, it does get a bit depressing/irritating seeing nothing but news about consumer gadgets, as ground breaking as they may be. In the back of our minds, we're thinking, "With all those gazillions in profits, could they at least humor us with a massively innovative product line for creative pros instead of 4 year old display technology and a pro computer that hasn't been updated in 2 years?" This is MacRumors after all.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Hey now, some of us are just real dumb-dumbs and don't comprehend much at all.

So, those complaining about what they see as an over saturation of every ridiculous Apple Watch detail (shipping times down to the second, some model wearing the watch in an ad, etc.) are not welcome here, but (just you wait) the army of nit-picky complaints sure to come from those receiving/using their watches are? Or are they not welcome either, in your mind?

Many of us used to get excited about Apple's commitment to creative professionals and we are the reason Apple didn't fold in the 90's before the iMac. Since those days are long gone, it does get a bit depressing/irritating seeing nothing but news about consumer gadgets, as ground breaking as they may be. In the back of our minds, we're thinking, "With all those gazillions in profits, could they at least humor us with a massively innovative product line for creative pros instead of 4 year old display technology and a pro computer that hasn't been updated in 2 years?" This is MacRumors after all.

Don't they make Macs for "creative professionals"? By the way, consumer gadgets are the things keeping Apple afloat NOW, so maybe get over yourself?

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands

I think that you, just like many others in my own area, just don't understand what the purpose of the Apple Watch really is. Indeed we do have a smartphone, and it should stay that way. In fact, it's not that Apple Watch replaces the iPhone. Instead, it's a extension to it. Apple Watch is made to make a lot simple tasks easier and faster to perform, where you would usually have a lot of struggles with when using your iPhone. At least, it's also how I see it.

I often check the time on my iPhone, I often want to see what messages I just received etc. Sometimes, I'm just not able to look after this. Apple Watch would let me check this kind of stuff, without being distracted from what I was doing. That could be - for instance - being in class.

Again, it's how I see it. But it's also how Apple sees the Apple Watch; it doesn't serve as a replacement for your iPhone, and it will never do.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Don't they make Macs for "creative professionals"? By the way, consumer gadgets are the things keeping Apple afloat NOW, so maybe get over yourself?

Of course they do make Macs for "creative professionals" as noted in my comment. But they are not on the cutting edge any longer, and many would like to see this again. I am also well aware that Apple has grown into a highly successful consumer gadgets company, and I have no issue with that.

And now, I'll try to figure out how to get over myself.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
To call this a launch is a joke. This has been a complete FUBAR, but the team at Apple. I really hope they can get their act together quickly and clean up the smelly stuff quick.

You have NO, absolutely NO, did I mention NO? knowledge about buying, manufacturing and assembly of millions of pieces of anything!

Since you saw the iFixit tear down, you should recognize that these parts can't just be pulled out of a drawer and thrown together.

If you can do better than Apple, please do. If not.....shshshshshsh........

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Look, I have or have had every single product Apple has made with the exception the Mac Pro and the server (when that was available) going back to the Apple II +. I have been through quite a few launches. I have stood in line on Launch dates, and I have stayed up all night to get my order in. Yes the order website did not crash this time, but to be out of inventory in less than 60 seconds is simply embarrassing. (in some way, you could argue becasue it is a new category, but this is Apple and they know demand). They then said sorry no actual in store purchases until who knows. They did have inventory for people at special stores but not their own. And then you have that wierd video of Angela.

Apple has always found a way to turn those long lines into a positive. They recovered quickly from the crashes. They were always smooth in their explanations.

This launch has none of those characteristics.

And that is how I qualify this as FUBAR. It is so far off the Apple mark that it needs to be called out.

One last thing I just thought of -- I got a delivery date of May 14-28 when I pre-ordered and I still have gotten no updates, and yet some that had later dates are getting notice that they will get delivery sooner. Again that seems wrong, they should fulfil orders in the sequence recieved.

The only thing they have gotten right is the product. That I am truly excited about, but the launch - FUBAR.

I can't really agree with you.

This is the first time apple is selling a fashion item with many variations. When buying the watch online, Apple makes you choose between 20 options, requiring you to do your research and know the difference in prices of bands etc. It's not a phone that comes in 3 colors and 3 different sizes of storage.

It's a watch that comes in dozens of combinations with prices that span between around $400 to $20,000 dollars.

Imagine all those long lines, and having to explain the differences to every single person at check out before they bought. It would be absolute insanity. i.n.s.a.n.i.t.y.

And teetering out the supple will keep demand going for a while. It's not an intuitive product. It's not easy to use. It's very first gen, missing core features that consumers will want in their daily lives. It's slow. It lacks sensors. And apple is smart to restrict giving such a product to the masses on day one.

As for the Angela video--what was weird about it? I went to business school and it looked pretty damn standard. That's an internal video, not meant for the public/consumers. She's explaining to her employees that they need to know the specifics of this launch a to z, help customers through the steps, explain clearly why and how things are different... something every executive should do to run a tight ship.

Look, Apple's got the best retail experience in the world. That doesn't mean it can't get better. I'm excited to see what she does. She took burberry from the gutter and tripled the size of the business while restoring it's prestige. Apple's moving from lifestyle into fashion and I think she will certainly be able to help.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Yet _somehow_ Apple has managed to sell millions of watches to these same people who obviously already own a phone that is capable of nearly _every single feature_ that the Apple Watch has, and most likely if surveyed do not currently wear watches.
:rolleyes: You're clearly not going to get this, but I'll try to explain anyway...I never wanted the phone. I've ALWAYS wanted a watch that did all this stuff. And no, I don't wear watches.

Now that doesn't makes sense to you? Well, a W-A-T-C-H tells time. Period. It doesn't do all that stuff the phone does. I don't need a device that just tells time. So why should I have ever worn a watch before? That's rather like asking someone who never carried around a pocket calculator why they bought an iPhone? Hello! The calculator doesn't do all the phone does, even if the phone can do calculations.

So, next question: why a watch rather than just a phone? Because I'm clumsy—I drop my phone. Because when it's in my purse I often don't hear the vibration of a text message from my spouse telling me "I'm on my way to pick you up, don't get on the bus..." and I get on the bus. Because I forget where it is in my purse. Because I have to dig it out while waiting in line to use it to pay for coffee and people glare at me. Because I'm using it to see what's on my shopping list, and there's no where to put it down while I try to open up a plastic bag and stuff in the produce. Because I'm hurrying to someplace and can't stop to pull out the phone to look at it and see if that person phoning me needs to be answered or can wait.

Are you getting the picture yet? I so want something on my wrist which I won't drop in my need to check that text or phone call. Something that, thanks to an actual tap on my skin, will not let me miss something important. Something that will allow me, as well, to just glance at it, rather than have to dig it out—to see if that phone call must be answered now or not—or to pay for coffee (it'll aways be right there; twist the wrist to pay, done!). And something, I'll add, that will allow me to answer those important phone calls and remain hands free, no earpiece required.

So. I really don't care if you don't understand. But wanting a watch even when I have a phone, waiting it even though I've never worn one before, makes perfect, beautiful, wonderful sense to me. Logical and rational as well. THIS is the Apple device I've been waiting for. The Phone was just an interim device, so far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I think I am not the first one, but it would be awesome if there was some kind of toggle switch to turn off the apple watch articles on the front page.

Vote this up , if you are sick of this hype.

I just want the option.

I'd like an option to be able to turn off posts like yours that complain about rumours on a rumor site, or relevant articles about Apple's competitors, or in this case, complaints about articles on the first completely new category of Apple product since Steve died. But we can't always get what we want, and I accept that. And asking for an 'upvote' what is that about? It looks like you're hanging around the site specifically to get the first post in to complain about the post. Otherwise you won't get your precious upvotes will you.

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm sorry, but you're delusional. Yes, there are a lot of Apple Watch/Band/combination variations, but that's why they offered the 2 week "preview" in store. The idea of a personalised appointment to try them on is also for this reason - no one has a problem with HOW they're selling it.

The fact is, you can't right now walk into an Apple Store and buy certain Apple products (I'm counting the new MacBook too, because the same in most cases is also true). This defies retail logic, it defies business logic ~ it defies just about every logic there is. Who in their right mind makes a product, and then says "you know what, let's not sell it in our 300+ stores for the first 90 days".

"Unprecedented demand", or as Angela puts it; "global interest" is a weak excuse. This is not Apple's first rodeo ~ they have been launching products for the millions since the iPhone in 2007. What it is, is a shift in mindset - Angela believes the act of buying an Apple product should be a more premium and exclusive experience, which I can understand (a la "why do people have to wait in line all the time"). But she's been selling high end clothes and handbags the past few years - she has NO experience in what it takes to ship 10 million tech devices around the world in a single weekend.

I don't want to be the person saying "if Steve were here.....", but it's absolutely true in this case. For a customer to not be able to walk into an Apple Store, and buy the Apple product of their choice - not even due to demand, or for any other reason beyond their control - but because they've specifically made the decision not to sell the products there............ Steve would've had somebody's head.

This is the first time apple is selling a fashion item with many variations. When buying the watch online, Apple makes you choose between 20 options, requiring you to do your research and know the difference in prices of bands etc. It's not a phone that comes in 3 colors and 3 different sizes of storage.

It's a watch that comes in dozens of combinations with prices that span between around $400 to $20,000 dollars.

Imagine all those long lines, and having to explain the differences to every single person at check out before they bought. It would be absolute insanity. i.n.s.a.n.i.t.y.

And teetering out the supple will keep demand going for a while. It's not an intuitive product. It's not easy to use. It's very first gen, missing core features that consumers will want in their daily lives. It's slow. It lacks sensors. And apple is smart to restrict giving such a product to the masses on day one.

As for the Angela video--what was weird about it? I went to business school and it looked pretty damn standard. That's an internal video, not meant for the public/consumers. She's explaining to her employees that they need to know the specifics of this launch a to z, help customers through the steps, explain clearly why and how things are different... something every executive should do to run a tight ship.

Look, Apple's got the best retail experience in the world. That doesn't mean it can't get better. I'm excited to see what she does. She took burberry from the gutter and tripled the size of the business while restoring it's prestige. Apple's moving from lifestyle into fashion and I think she will certainly be able to help.

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
It's pretty messed up to have inventory in stores when customers who ordered on April 10th are waiting to have theirs fulfilled.

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Also, on that video Angela made.. saying that it was an "internal" video is just an excuse. And to deny anything was wrong with it is crazy!

ANYTHING Apple releases, internal or otherwise, is guaranteed to make it into the public domain and be scrutinised and dissected. It's just the nature of being the most valuable company in the world (especially with the success Apple has had). But the audio quality was ridiculous, she looked uncomfortable, and it was filmed against a tree. What's up with that? She could've at least done it in a store, you know, as the head of retail.......

I think there's 2 camps when it comes to Apple consumers - those who think near enough is good enough, and will jump to the company's defence when they screw up. And those who demand absolute perfection/precision/excellence etc, and are not afraid to call them out for it. We're not talking about $50 here - it's $500+ for the watch, which you need a $1000+ phone for anyway, and then if you have an iPad it's another $500-$1000, and then a Mac adds several $k's on top of that. We make them incredibly rich, so the least Apple can do is make us feel like they've earned it.................

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.