Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasha3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Pennsylvania hinterlands
I want to install DSL. How the hell do I turn off Virex? Nothing in the manual about it. McAfee website is Macphobic and Virex is not mentioned ANYWHERE! :mad:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Why do you have to turn off Virex to install DSL?

Is there something in Virex preferences about this? It should be very straightforward. If all else fails, just move Virex to the trash.

Now I'm remembering some things--I used to use Virex (until I remembered that I use a computing platform with no viruses) and it would only come on when I turned it on. Check your configuration.

Sasha3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Pennsylvania hinterlands
The ISP suggested I turn it off to eliminate any possible complications when installing their software. No, there is nothing in the preferences menu to facilitate this. Never thought of putting it in the trash though. Good idea. It was a download so I have no CD but can always drag it back out of the trash. Don't know why I use it anyway. It takes up space and is always running and slows things down. I have read all the arguments for and against virus software on Macs and think I'll just get rid of it altogether.
Thanks.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Are you sure you need to use their software for DSL? OS X supports PPPoE, and I can't see any other reason to use 3rd party software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.