Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Since Virgin are tied to Sprint's networks, I won't switch even though the plan is better financially. Coverage, customer service etc. are worth the extra $ to me.

Coverage is one thing, but I used Virgin Mobile for a number of years in the past, and their customer service was spectacular (for the couple times it was needed). It's a good company.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
The problem would be the coverage areas.

Even considering the cost of the phone, it would be less expensive in one year than my current family plan at T-Mobile costs with 3 phones, and only one is a data plan, and I am paying $20 each month for unlimited messaging on the account.

As with other phone accounts, there is a monthly charge for taxes and fees that would increase the total from $420 annually (for the 300 minutes monthly plan).

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Are there any cheap plans like this that use AT&T or T-Mobile's network? LTE just started working on T-Mobile here in Chicago.

ya $60 AT&T GoPhone Prepaid Plan with 4G + LTE 2GB DATA! - doesnt get better

----------

Also I wouldn't put my money on this....unless you want a Sprint's royal treatment lol...their coverage + service = worst in USA and when you go with a Sprint MVNO.....you can only imagine that it gets worst than worst....is that even possible?

not to mention this iPhone 5 will be locked to Sprint = USELESS in USA much like Sprint's and their other MVNO's...do your self a favor and pick up the straight talk or verizon iPhone 5 if you really want a CDMA one...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
T-Mobile needs to lower their plan cost some to match these prices. These are way better then T-Mobile's.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think you'll find TMo have a $30 prepaid w/100 minutes/5GB 4G + unlimited 2G/Unlimited text.

Yah but that's still 200 minutes under VM. Sure it's more data but 2.5 is a lot at $30 vs TM $30.

TM doesn't have a $40 plan and when you get to $50, VM blows TM out of the water. Unlimited across where TM is 500MB.

TM plans need to be 'rewritten'

----------

ya $60 AT&T GoPhone Prepaid Plan with 4G + LTE 2GB DATA! - doesnt get better

----------

Also I wouldn't put my money on this....unless you want a Sprint's royal treatment lol...their coverage + service = worst in USA and when you go with a Sprint MVNO.....you can only imagine that it gets worst than worst....is that even possible?

not to mention this iPhone 5 will be locked to Sprint = USELESS in USA much like Sprint's and their other MVNO's...do your self a favor and pick up the straight talk or verizon iPhone 5 if you really want a CDMA one...

Can you get a unlocked GSM phone and get the $60 AT&T GoPhone plan/sim?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
worst pre-paid option

DON'T DO IT

I'm not going to talk about Sprint network's, ummm, quality, but one of the great things about pre-paid is the ability to switch between carriers by switching SIM cards.

Unless you get one of those GPP cards, you won't be able to do so with Virign iPhone 5

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My son is on a VM "Beyond Talk Unlimited Data and Text" plan and burns through his 2.5GB data "soft cap" exactly halfway through every month. I imagine this would be even worse at LTE speeds...

I am grateful for the unlimited texts, though if he was on an iPhone most of those would go through iMessage anyway...

Holy ****. Is there NO WiFi in his life or does he just insist on streaming YouTube HD 24/7? The wife & I SHARE 1GB/mo and barely use 75% of that bc WiFi is everywhere.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Virgin Mobile is who I was with before switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone.

This would be a good deal, if Virgin Mobile wasn't CDMA/Sprint-based.

You have hardware-based carrier lock-in and terrible speeds.

From what I read, Virgin Mobile is GSM in other locations (UK?), so you could easily use an old AT&T or T-Mobile phone with them.
There's no way I'm going to spend $650/$750/whatever up-front to get locked into one company. CDMA phones have terrible resale value because of the lock-in.

evenworstteddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Paris
Phone plans are expensive in the USA

50$/month for an unlimited phone plan ?
Wow that's a ripoff compared to the French Virgin mobile,
that same plan is 30€/month (about 48 $) in France.
And Virgin mobile isn't the cheapest around.

America you deceived me.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Holy ****. Is there NO WiFi in his life or does he just insist on streaming YouTube HD 24/7? The wife & I SHARE 1GB/mo and barely use 75% of that bc WiFi is everywhere.

Kid is a gamer and always seems to be watching walk-through videos on YouTube -- and Google still hasn't figured out how to stream mobile videos at an appropriate quality for the connection and device.

Hmm... If only the people who develop Android could somehow work with the people who run YouTube... Maybe if they were owned by the same company... <scratches chin> /s

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
glad to hear

Coverage is one thing, but I used Virgin Mobile for a number of years in the past, and their customer service was spectacular (for the couple times it was needed). It's a good company.

If Virgin weren't tied to Sprint as far as networks (and Sprint is pretty crappy where I live), I'd definitely investigate. That is good to hear about customer service, but any ties to Sprint make me run very fast in the opposite direction.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
So 'Unlimited' actually means 2.5GB. I don't understand how carriers are allowed to use terms like this. What's unlimited about 2.5GB? It's probably plenty for most but thats not the point.

wb182

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Getting my wife an overpriced iphone 4s on Virgin Mobile was a horrible mistake. The service is beyond terrible.

wjdennen

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
The biggest problem with it is that you don't get any data roaming. And a poster above mentioned that t-mobile's coverage is bad enough that you need roaming...

You don't get data roaming with the $30 prepaid t-mobile plan? What does this mean?

Bniel71403

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I got the 4S and love it!!

Great news that they are getting the iphone 5!!! wish that i had held out for 6 months more and i would have gotten this or preordered it!
I got Virgin in May of 2011 and enjoyed the LG Optimus V until it and the android got annoying. Last Christmas i finally broke down and got the 4S and it has been a total blessing! use it more than the other phone.
never had an issues with service, except this last JAN 3 or 4 towers were down due to a ice storm, but didn't top up until it was all fixed

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Glad to hear this news, more choices for me when my contract with AT&T is up next year. Competition is a very good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.