Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Hello. I am installing Windows 2000 on Virtual PC 7.0.2. The 2000 CD I have is an Upgrade and asks for an earlier version of Windows during the setup. (It says to insert 95, 98, or NT Workstation CD-ROM)

I cannot eject the 2000 CD during setup, however- the application wil not let me. How can I get around this??

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Dr. No said:
Hello. I am installing Windows 2000 on Virtual PC 7.0.2. The 2000 CD I have is an Upgrade and asks for an earlier version of Windows during the setup. (It says to insert 95, 98, or NT Workstation CD-ROM)

I cannot eject the 2000 CD during setup, however- the application wil not let me. How can I get around this??
Go to the Drives > Eject Disc menu item in the Virtual PC application.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Dr. No said:
How can I get around this??

Do you mean you want to still install 2000 despite not having an OS to upgrade from? Sorry, but I'd say you'll have to install an old OS and then 2000 over the top. That'd be both the easiest and most legal solution. :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
mad jew said:
Do you mean you want to still install 2000 despite not having an OS to upgrade from? Sorry, but I'd say you'll have to install an old OS and then 2000 over the top. That'd be both the easiest and most legal solution. :)

mad jew is correct in this regard. There is no way to upgrade an OS that isn't there.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
Do you mean you want to still install 2000 despite not having an OS to upgrade from? Sorry, but I'd say you'll have to install an old OS and then 2000 over the top.

You don't. The 2000 installer asks for an older CD to confirm that you own it, but you don't actually have to install the old OS.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Nermal said:
You don't. The 2000 installer asks for an older CD to confirm that you own it, but you don't actually have to install the old OS.

Ah ha... I stand corrected
But either way, you need the original OS (unless there is a way to trick that...)

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Does it allow you to point to itself as a valid disk?

Microsoft has in the past released "upgrade" disks that would ask for a valid CD to upgrade from, but would accept it if you simply pointed the "upgrade" to itself. Of course you need to own one of the prior OS disks to be legal, and I am not advocating piracy, we have found at my workplace that this can often save time on installs since we don't have to search out the previous OS disks which exist somewhere in our poorly organized software files. I can't remember which MS "upgrades" allowed this so I'm not sure if Win2k fixed this feature or not.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
In addition, I have a full install CD for Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Dr. No said:
In addition, I have a full install CD for Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

Do you have disk space to make disk images of both? Then capture the images, either as separate drives, or capture and uncapture.

Which reminds me that I want to go find my NT4 CDs and try an install of it on VPC and see how fast it is. :) Although I also really need to try the Win2k speed up suggestions.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
mad jew said:
Not true - you can install Win2K from an upgrade CD provided you have the Win98 CD on hand. On a PC, the Windows installer stops and asks for the original Win98 install CD - it will eject the 2K install CD and wait. Insert the Win98 CD (full installation only, won't work with a 98 upgrade CD), Win2K's installer will verify it, eject it, and ask for the 2K installation CD back and keep going.

As far as doing this on a Mac, I'm stumped with you - if you have an external CD drive, try putting the Win98 CD in the drive and see if the Win2K installer CD will recognize it through Virtual PC. Or, as someone suggested, try Virtual PC's CD eject command. There may also be a way to create a mounted image of your Win98 CD that can be recognized by VPC as well...

Otherwise, you really will be stuck installing Win98 and then 2K over the top (and depending on the speed of your system, you have my extended sympathies on this). I suspect M$ thinks folks in your situation don't matter much, since why would you run anything but WinXP with VPC? :rolleyes:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
mkrishnan said:
Which reminds me that I want to go find my NT4 CDs and try an install of it on VPC and see how fast it is. :)
It ran well enough under VPC6, but wasn't anything to get excited about in my experience. The copy of W2K I use now is faster without any major tweaking under VPC7, but this is admittedly comparing VPC6 on a DP1.0 G4 and VPC7 on a DP2.0 G5 so it's not a fair comparison.

Which particular speedup tips were you referring to, by the way?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Makosuke said:
Which particular speedup tips were you referring to, by the way?

These: http://nexle.dk/daniel/win2000-32mb/

I have a sadly slow first rev. iBook G4. ;) So I'll take anything I can get. But I think it's a lost cause. Which is probably okay. I still really only need one thing: SPSS, and supposedly by the end of the month, the issues with SPSS and Tiger will be resolved, and I can go back to the Mac one.

That and I just like playing with emulators...apparently a masochistic streak. :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mkrishnan said:
I still really only need one thing: SPSS, and supposedly by the end of the month, the issues with SPSS and Tiger will be resolved, and I can go back to the Mac one.

That and I just like playing with emulators...apparently a masochistic streak. :eek:

We just have way too much in common. :p

Can't wait for SPSS. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
We just have way too much in common. :p

Can't wait for SPSS. :)

Hehehe... well, if VPC isn't satisfying, at least my iBook's G4 can emulate a Gameboy Advance so I can finish Zelda without having to constantly replace batteries, and I won't miss the e-mail from SPSS saying they've delayed the patch again! :D

marcwilliams

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2005
eject CD w/Virtual PC

"Go to the Drives > Eject Disc menu item in the Virtual PC application"

this doesn't work with my sons mini mac running virtual PC 7+ w/Windows XP Home in the CD drive, there just doesn't seem to be anyway to get out of windows.

any help would be appreciated.
thx
marc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.