Virual PC and updates

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Foxer, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Hey all. I finally have a need to put Virtual PC on my powerbook after almost 1 year of managing to avoid it. When i install XP, will I also need to download all those service packs and updates from MS? Does the fact that it's running on an emualtor insualte me from problems?

Just curious.

edit: Ooops! Thought I was in the software sub-forum. Sorry! I'm not really a TOTAL idiot.

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

If you choose to network your Windows guest OS, I would patch it. It's just not worth the risk.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'd patch. I wouldn't go nuts with antivirus or firewall but I would download all the updates.

4. bannedagain macrumors member

The updates are well worth it, they just contain all the little bits of code that make the OS run more smoothly. Much like the x in 10.3.x where the x is all the little fixes.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you can get hold of a Windows Update CD, it could save you some trouble when it comes time to reinstall Windows (it's bound to happen!)

Alternatively, if you've got enough HD space, once it's all running smoothly you should make a backup of the HD image.