Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Soo stuupid

Thats sooooo effing stupid! They already build that shyte into creditcards and I have to call them up to have them send me new cards without that crap. I don't like it, its not secure. Also, I don't know one person who uses it. Cash is always the best way!

Remeber, at your next baseball game. Ticket scalpers accept cash, not credit.

Antaios

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
New York City
HAVE ANY OF THESE STUPID COMPANIES...forgot that their little cases will be obsolete next month when the new iPhone is annouced with a different form factor??? idiots.:mad:

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
how is this any better than the tiny little keychain dongle i got from citibank? with that i need to have a special case, and then need to go into the iphone app to activate it. with my current setup, i just wave my keychain in front of the receiver.

seems to me just another way for visa to make money by now selling iphone cases.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
HAVE ANY OF THESE STUPID COMPANIES...forgot that their little cases will be obsolete next month when the new iPhone is annouced with a different form factor??? idiots.:mad:
Have you considered the possibility that they would simply make an additional case for the next-generation iPhone?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
S. Korea was doing contact-less payments like this at least 6 or 7 years ago. It was kind of useful back then because it was integrated somehow into the phone and set up with the contract. But to require a case to wrap around your iPhone to do it is pretty messy.

In both cases, its pretty pointless to build personal debit/credit card payments around a consumer device like your phone... which you change at least every 2 years. Is it that hard to bring your wallet with you?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
This is similar to what they have in Japan only it is integrated into some of their phones.

Apple cannot integrate something like this because:
1. The Japanese system works with Suica which is an reloadable system for the Japanese Rail and Tokyo metro systems. It can be used at convenience stores in Tokyo as well as vending machines in stations but it is not affiliated with any credit card company. The US does not have a nationwide system like Suica/Passmo.
2. Even if Apple partnered with Visa and the government did not object for anti-competition reasons by going exclusively with Visa and not Mastercard/Amex, you have to realize that over 60 percent of iPhone sales occur outside of the US and American cards would not work for those people.

When I was in Japan a week and a half ago, I had a passmo card which I used on the Tokyo metro lines as well as convenience stores to limit the amount of change that I would carry. I also bought a case for my iPhone from Softbank while I was there which has a slit on the inside cover which is perfect for a passmo card. I could travel through the metro gates tapping my iPhone case on the sensor.

You could put a paypass mastercard into that type of case and use it to pay for your stuff at movie theatres and other places where paypass is accepted.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I've had a PayPass HSBC MC for about 7 years... Do you know how many times I've been at a location that actually has a PayPass terminal that is "functioning" in that time frame and been able to use the feature???

4 times.

Just so everyone doesn't think I forgot a number there... FOUR times.

Plus it has always been a hassle too. I have gone to place my card against the terminal only to have the cashier freak out like, "WOAH WAIT! *a flurry of button pushes by the cashier* Ok.. try it again!"

WTF is the point if you can't see your total on the display and touch your card to it instantly???

It is a technological fad until everyone is on board with the same piece of equipment that is not proprietary to each CC company.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Seriously dude, did it ever occur to you that they are capable of building new cases?

strykex98

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Can't you like just, put your existing card behind your existing case? I agree... RFID in the phone itself would sell it for me.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Um, one propblem... That isn't faster AT ALL! If anything it is slower lol!

-Get wallet, pull card, swipe, done.
or
-Get iPhone, wake, swipe to unlock, swipe to screen with the app, launch the app, wait for it to prompt, wave phone, close app, put phone away. Oh and you get a huge ugly clunky case to go with it lol! :rolleyes:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
An iPhone does not need a micro-SD card. It has flash memory. Is the contactless transmission sendable by existing radio technology in the iPhone or it some custom TX?

If it is existing, all they need is an "app for that."

Also since it claims to eliminate the need for another payment device, perhaps they should make a wrapper/holster/wallet to hold 3+ credit cards in the same space or less than this oversized dongle?

Or I should. :D

Rocketman

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Dam, my battery is dead.

Put your food back kids, we're going hungry!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
The iPhone will now become the cell phone of choice for drug dealers and prostitutes.

I shutter to think where the 'contactless' terminal would be located.

Um, one propblem... That isn't faster AT ALL! If anything it is slower lol!

-Get wallet, pull card, swipe, done.
or
-Get iPhone, wake, swipe to unlock, swipe to screen with the app, launch the app, wait for it to prompt, wave phone, close app, put phone away. Oh and you get a huge ugly clunky case to go with it lol! :rolleyes:

+1

Totally agree.

MacDuff2000

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Plano, TX
I've been using the VISA contactless system (don't know the name, just the symbol) anytime I see it. I know they have it at all Jack in the Box and 7-Eleven locations near me.

I like it because it doesn't put wear on the magnetic strip like the swipe machine does, and you don't have to hand your card to someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.