Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPDaddyHimself

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Is it possible for me to partition my 1 TB drive into 2 partitions. Mac OSX for 500MB and then run Boot Camp via Vista on the other 500MBs? I want to be able to run some cool games only found on PC. If so, can someone direct me to a how to?

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I assume you mean 500GB each. There is an application in the utilities folder (applications>utilities) for bootcamp that lets you do the partitioning. If that one will let you split up the HDD into two parts of 500GB each, you're good to go.

MrPDaddyHimself

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I assume you mean 500GB each. There is an application in the utilities folder (applications>utilities) for bootcamp that lets you do the partitioning. If that one will let you split up the HDD into two parts of 500GB each, you're good to go.

Yes, I did mean 500GB each. I also have the RAID card to consider in setting up the other 3 drives. But I'd like to know I have the option of having a partitioned Windows volume to run games from. I just wondered if anyone else here had done that. It seems most are allocating an entire drive, not a partition from a drive.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Yes, I did mean 500GB each. I also have the RAID card to consider in setting up the other 3 drives. But I'd like to know I have the option of having a partitioned Windows volume to run games from. I just wondered if anyone else here had done that. It seems most are allocating an entire drive, not a partition from a drive.
When you run Boot Camp Assistant it recommends you print out the instructions. Do it! Then follow along step-by-step and you won't have any problems. BCA asks you where you want to place your Windows partition, shows you the available options, and there is a slider on the partitioning options window that lets you set the size of the partition you want.

I have my Windows partition running on an internal 500 GB drive that I use for storage. I assigned 160 GB of that drive for the Windows partition.

The only PITA thing for me was after Windows installed successfully, I had no network connection. My router has DHCP turned off, so Windows couldn't set-up the ethernet connection automatically. I had to find my way in XP Pro to the window that let me enter the network settings manually. Just finding the settings window took me 10 minutes.

After the Windows install is complete, be sure to follow the directions about installing the drivers from the OS X install disk that came with your Mac Pro.

I'm playing a lot of UT3 and it's totally awesome on this rig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.