Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Earlier today I installed Vista using Bootcamp on my MBP. I've been using it for a few hours and I am already annoyed the the "User Account Protection" feature. You can't open any application without it asking if you are sure.

You can't open control panels without confirming that you in fact clicked to open it.

When you put items in the startup folder it doesn't start them, it blocks them and then tell you it blocked startup items (I even tried choosing "run as administrator" in the preferences for the shortcut).

I can understand Microsoft's motive behind this, but the average consumer is going to think it's ridiculous when a message pops up telling you to confirm that you in fact initiated this action.

I remember reading about how Microsoft was going to polish this system and make it less intrusive. Well, I have the final build and they didn't. They even removed obvious ways to disable the feature. You can do it from msconfig and regedit, (if it is in the control panel it must be buried cause i couldn't find it.)

I do have to admit Vista runs much better than XP though..

What do other people think about this (or anything else annoying about Vista for that matter)?

Savings

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2006
Maybe this was their solution to Vista not needing antivirus or antispyware software.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I don't actually have anything against vista but I just don't see any new features in it that I need.
The two features I was looking forward to have been delayed. The Monad shell and WinFS.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Maybe this was their solution to Vista not needing antivirus or antispyware software.

Maybe partly, but it still nags you if you don't have antivirus or antispyware programs installed (or a firewall).

Another thing I wanna say. They managed to make the control panel about 5x more complicated than it was before. I don't have a problem, I can figure things out. It's the average computer user I worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.