Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
slooksterPSV said:
Wow http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34190 there's a piece in there about how Vista will defragment your hard drive in the background when it's not in use. That's so cool! I mean come on that's just revolutionary! NOT, ok Apple has this right? Of course Apple has it and has had it. All in all, you see this so much (taking from other companies) its hard to argue with any more.
If Windows does it in the background then its STILL behind. OS X does it every time a file of 20MB or more is moved from what I understand. Therefore it never needs to defragment.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I just downloaded this and installed boot camp. I made a windows partition of 32GB and when I went to install vista, I keep getting an error when I select the 32GB partition that "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." Anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix this? It's supposed to be a simple install so I figure I'm doing something insanely stupid.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Zeke said:
I just downloaded this and installed boot camp. I made a windows partition of 32GB and when I went to install vista, I keep getting an error when I select the 32GB partition that "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." Anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix this? It's supposed to be a simple install so I figure I'm doing something insanely stupid.

I've got the same problem on my Mac Pro. I wonder if their is some trick required to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
nitynate said:
Awww....
(25 mins :D)

picture4gd0.png

2.25 gig??? Which version are you downloading??? beta 2 was like over 3 gig....????

ug.mac

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
Vancouver, B.C
kkapoor said:
I've got the same problem on my Mac Pro. I wonder if their is some trick required to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

You have to run the Vista installer in your XP.

albeik

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
blue screen with the new Parallels RC udpate

I just tried using the new Parallels RC update that supports Vista (experimental) and I keep getting the blue screen after it finishes the "Windows is loadings files..." process.

http://albeik.com/vista_parallels.png

I used this version:
vista_5600.16384.060829-2230_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso

Anyone have an idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.