Vista Start Menu & Curved Sidebar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RobHague, Sep 18, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Found some screenshots that looked really cool. I originally posted them in the other thread but no one seems to have visited there since so i thought id make a new topic incase no one else has seen them...

[​IMG]
    This is the new start button aparentley. Though its not in the current builds people have..

[​IMG]

Microsoft! Great idea putting the Trash into that Dock Look-a-like Sidebar. Only they could come up with something that original. I do like the 'curve' though. ;)

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Wow! Looks like they copied the dock! And now they are making start look like an apple logo. Man.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

And the email icon with the number of unread messages... how original :rolleyes:

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

5. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Why those icons and mini apps sizes differ so much in the side bar. Just take a look, its like they are out of place. Kind of a quick past on. Some stick out beyond side bar, other are just comparatively small. A bad dock/Dashboard combination look a like. This is FUGLY!!

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Interesting, looks like MS is close to catching up in the eye-candy department. We better see some cool stuff out of Leopard at MWSF/WWDC.

P.S. Links to more pics?

7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i really hate the clear windows and the round start button is pretty ugly

8. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Yes, it is fugly. And boring. Even if I had not switched, I would still say this is boring, ugly, and more of the same. How many different ways can you make a start button and how ugly is that lame ass bar thing on the right. I don't see how anyone could be excited about this.

Seriously, take a look at the window that is open. Tell me that isn't just ugly as hell.

9. xelterran macrumors 6502

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Dude this is still a beta and looks weird because its a beta. Did anyone see the XP beta? Uglier than Windows 3.1.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I kind of like it, both the curved sidebar and the circular start button.

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I bet you haven't read that Outlook Express is now called Microsoft Mail, have you? ;)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem isn't what the Start button looks like. The problem is the way the Start button works, which I doubt Microsoft has any incentive to fix because, kluge-tastic or not, everybody is used to it now. It's like those buttons on your watch that do too many different things.

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The more i read about vista, the more i hate it.

15. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

still likes like a re-hash of XP to me at this point. nothing really changing too much... just skinning and additions to the desktop really.

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

what the hell is "digital locker" on the first image...creepy. Yeah, im keeping the spyware and viruses safe in my digital locker in case i want them with the images of my gym socks.. :p

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Conjured up the same image in my mind -- brown banana peels, crumpled up paperback books, old sweaty gym socks and jock straps. If it doesn't feature a hollow metallic clanking sound when you use it, I'm going to be very disappointed. Just another great idea from those wonderfully talented designers at Microsoft. Right up there with the "Recycle Bin."

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Arrr! But what be she a copy of, matey?

20. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

uhhhh too much green. i hope there are other color schemes. green might be the least appealing color for anything. granted, i'm biased as well as color blind, but still.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

funny, i totally hate Vista. thinking it to be nothing more than an OSX clone. but at the same time i will install it on my machine (IF it works with my games that is) and will probably enjoy running around it for 30 minutes or so.

its amazing. in this months issue of Personal Computer World (or the november 2005 issue :rolleyes: ) there is a comparison table of Vista/XP/SuSe Linux/OSX

and guess what? like any typical PC mag they screwed up with OSX. saying that OSX (10.4 too) didn't use 3D effects in its OS. and that it hasn't got built in virus scanners or defraggers. they should have put a little note beside saying "doesn't need these" ... well. maybe a defragger. but still! the liars.