Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Found some screenshots that looked really cool. I originally posted them in the other thread but no one seems to have visited there since so i thought id make a new topic incase no one else has seen them...

post10881311268219670jo.jpg

This is the new start button aparentley. Though its not in the current builds people have..

Microsoft! Great idea putting the Trash into that Dock Look-a-like Sidebar. Only they could come up with something that original. I do like the 'curve' though. ;)

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Why those icons and mini apps sizes differ so much in the side bar. Just take a look, its like they are out of place. Kind of a quick past on. Some stick out beyond side bar, other are just comparatively small. A bad dock/Dashboard combination look a like. This is FUGLY!!

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Interesting, looks like MS is close to catching up in the eye-candy department. We better see some cool stuff out of Leopard at MWSF/WWDC.

P.S. Links to more pics?

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Yes, it is fugly. And boring. Even if I had not switched, I would still say this is boring, ugly, and more of the same. How many different ways can you make a start button and how ugly is that lame ass bar thing on the right. I don't see how anyone could be excited about this.

Seriously, take a look at the window that is open. Tell me that isn't just ugly as hell.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Dude this is still a beta and looks weird because its a beta. Did anyone see the XP beta? Uglier than Windows 3.1.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
kainjow said:
And the email icon with the number of unread messages... how original :rolleyes:

I bet you haven't read that Outlook Express is now called Microsoft Mail, have you? ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The problem isn't what the Start button looks like. The problem is the way the Start button works, which I doubt Microsoft has any incentive to fix because, kluge-tastic or not, everybody is used to it now. It's like those buttons on your watch that do too many different things.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
still likes like a re-hash of XP to me at this point. nothing really changing too much... just skinning and additions to the desktop really.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
what the hell is "digital locker" on the first image...creepy. Yeah, im keeping the spyware and viruses safe in my digital locker in case i want them with the images of my gym socks.. :p

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
rockthecasbah said:
what the hell is "digital locker" on the first image...creepy. Yeah, im keeping the spyware and viruses safe in my digital locker in case i want them with the images of my gym socks.. :p

Conjured up the same image in my mind -- brown banana peels, crumpled up paperback books, old sweaty gym socks and jock straps. If it doesn't feature a hollow metallic clanking sound when you use it, I'm going to be very disappointed. Just another great idea from those wonderfully talented designers at Microsoft. Right up there with the "Recycle Bin."

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
uhhhh too much green. i hope there are other color schemes. green might be the least appealing color for anything. granted, i'm biased as well as color blind, but still.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
funny, i totally hate Vista. thinking it to be nothing more than an OSX clone. but at the same time i will install it on my machine (IF it works with my games that is) and will probably enjoy running around it for 30 minutes or so.

its amazing. in this months issue of Personal Computer World (or the november 2005 issue :rolleyes: ) there is a comparison table of Vista/XP/SuSe Linux/OSX

and guess what? like any typical PC mag they screwed up with OSX. saying that OSX (10.4 too) didn't use 3D effects in its OS. and that it hasn't got built in virus scanners or defraggers. they should have put a little note beside saying "doesn't need these" ... well. maybe a defragger. but still! the liars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.