Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vernalbogneris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I have installed VLC 3.0.16 on a 14" MacBook Pro with M1 processor. VLC should run natively on M1 but the "About VLC" screen indicates "Intel 64bit", and it shows up as "Intel" type in the Activity Monitor. Is it not installing the right version for my M1 MacBook? I'm finding the battery is draining very fast and wondering if this has something to do with it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
VLC will run on an Intel or Apple Silicon Mac according to its support instructions. When you launch VLC does it invoke and install Rosetta 2? I suspect that although VLC will run on your M1 MBP, that it's still an Intel app. Otherwise it would show up as a "Universal" app.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have installed VLC 3.0.16 on a 14" MacBook Pro with M1 processor. VLC should run natively on M1 but the "About VLC" screen indicates "Intel 64bit", and it shows up as "Intel" type in the Activity Monitor. Is it not installing the right version for my M1 MacBook? I'm finding the battery is draining very fast and wondering if this has something to do with it.
You need to download either the Apple Silicon or Universal versions specifically in order to get the proper version for your computer so just download the correct version and replace the Intel version you've already installed.
The presence of the Intel version of VLC on your computer isn't what's causing battery drain.

vernalbogneris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I have since learned that the VLC download website doesn't automatically detect the processor type. You need to specifically choose the Apple Silicon install from a pull down menu. Not very intuitive, but the problem is solved.

Thanks for your responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.