Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
vSphere doesn't run under Windows, it's its own operating system/hypervisor.
Yes, you're right; I wasn't very clear in my description. What I was referring to was the vSphere client which I use to manage my clusters and vm's, which is run from my Windows 8.1 PC at work.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Its against VMWare terms..

Only Windows products on ESXi,, no OS X VM's unless nativly supported by Fusion itself.
VMware supports various non-Windows operating systems too. Actually, if you want to virtualise anything that isn't Windows you should opt for a product from VMware as they have the best non-Windows support. ESXi on a Mac will also support OS X vm's (it is officially supported by VMware).

So, can ESXi be loaded on Apple hardware, and if so, how is it done? I'm interested to learn.
The same way as on non-Apple hardware. It just has to be on VMware's HCL for that particular ESXi version. That's the main thing with ESXi: if it is on the HCL then it'll work, if it is not then there maybe is some sort of driver for it by someone on the internet which could be broken with any patch or other kind of update or even upgrade you install. Or simply put: if not on HCL then it doesn't work.

vSphere doesn't run under Windows, it's its own operating system/hypervisor.
You'd need Workstation for that. Does it really matter? Nope because about 90+ % of the code in ESXi, Workstation, Player and Fusion are the same. That's why the changelogs of their products are so unbelievable similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The same way as on non-Apple hardware. It just has to be on VMware's HCL for that particular ESXi version. That's the main thing with ESXi: if it is on the HCL then it'll work, if it is not then there maybe is some sort of driver for it by someone on the internet which could be broken with any patch or other kind of update or even upgrade you install. Or simply put: if not on HCL then it doesn't work.
Thanks for that information. It's what I've been looking around for for some time now, not just today.

Now, HCL, I'm not familiar with that, what is it? :oops:

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
In other words, just bug fixes really.

Yup. Warning new users -- you will be paying for bug fixes packaged and sold as the next major version. I was flabbergasted at the lack of updates to fix major VMWare Fusion 5 issues, and finally an update was available. I was so excited, only to find out that they were calling the update 6 and wanted me to pay up again.

I'm all for developers getting paid for major releases -- but I don't like VMWare's track record with Fusion and won't be a returning customer.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Now, HCL, I'm not familiar with that, what is it? :oops:
Hardware Compatibility List. Just a list of hardware that is officially supported. In case of ESXi it is rather important as it can be really picky about the hardware it runs on. If you the hardware isn't on the HCL the installer can even refuse to run.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hardware Compatibility List. Just a list of hardware that is officially supported. In case of ESXi it is rather important as it can be really picky about the hardware it runs on. If you the hardware isn't on the HCL the installer can even refuse to run.
Ah, so many acronyms!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
There's no need for Workstation to use ESXi– you can connect to VMs on there with Fusion Pro...
It wasn't about connecting to VMs hosted on an ESXi host, it was about vSphere running on Windows. The only VMware products that run on Windows or Linux are Workstation Player and Pro. Fusion is a Mac only product and thus only runs on OS X.

Both Workstation Pro and Fusion Pro are able to connect to an ESXi host and interact with the VMs on it which can be very useful. You can also upload and download VMs (make sure they are shutdown and then simply drag 'n drop). For full management of ESXi you need to use the good old C# client (which only runs in Windows) or vCenter (either the C# client or the web interface which is painfully sloooooowwwwwwwww). The functionality in Workstation/Fusion Pro doesn't replace the vSphere clients.

The HTML5 web interface is a Fling (look at it as a 3rd party extension as we've come to know from Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and at the moment requires you to have vCenter. Luckily their aim is to support all the vSphere versions including the free hypervisor only version (aka ESXi). This web interface aims to be a replacement for the current slow and buggy vCenter web interface. Hords of VMware admins around the globe will celebrate as if there is no tomorrow the moment they make that happen. The vCenter one is that bad.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hords of VMware admins around the globe will celebrate as if there is no tomorrow the moment they make that happen. The vCenter one is that bad.
I totally agree on that one.

John Bokma

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I'm getting a bit annoyed with VMware and Parallels using the yearly OS X release cycle as an excuse to push very expensive updates witch are marginally better. But hey, it's mostly companies who buy these things with enough cash to burn. They're definitely making good use of that.

Cash to burn? I am self-employed. The yearly cost of either product is way less than I make in a single hour. Both products are assumed to be integrated better with OS X compared to VirtualBox, which is cross platform. I have both Parallels and VirtualBox on my Mac mini, by the way, and work most of the time in a Linux VM running in Parallels, which seriously outperforms my previous devbox (bare metal), a Dell Vostro 200ST. I consider the Mac mini the best computer I've ever had for running Linux.

What a great pissing contest between the two firms... I'll just stick to BootCamp.
In that case you probably don't understand what either product does. It allows to run various OSes at the same time as OS X. I run sometimes several VMs on both Paralles and VirtualBox and it works great. When you run your VMs full screen you can 4-finger swipe between VMs and the host OS. It's super convenient if you are a developer like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: InfoTime

jbanning

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Atlanta
What's the Comcast data cap these days? I just got U-verse gigabit fiber installed in Gwinnett. I average about 900 Mbps up and down so not bad at all -- especially compared to only other option here which is Charter cable.

U-verse's gigabit fiber supposedly has a 1 TB data cap but there is no way for the end user to monitor usage so I don't think they'll be able to enforce it. If they did enforce it, I think I read in the fine print that the most they'd ever charge if the user went over 1 TB is an extra $50 per month or something like that.

It's either 300GB or 310GB. On the surface, it may sound like a lot, but as I said, the first time i uploaded my 190GB photo collection to iCloud, I knew I would be in trouble. Then my new MacBook arrived and everything had to then sync back down! Not to mentioned trying to watch Netflix and HBO Now. And I'm just one user in my household. We're not doing anything out of the ordinary but some months have to pay dearly for it. It's crazy considering some Comcast markets don't have a cap. It's pure greed. I know there are some out there that may be taking advantage, but I'm not one of them, but feel like I'm being punished. That's why I can't wait to FIRE them as soon as Google Fiber arrives. I can't get AT&T in my neighborhood yet...

Reactions: avanpelt

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Support for DirectX 10?!?!? Holy Cow Batman! That means you will be able to run almost non-existent DirectX 10 games made exclusively for Windows VISTA!!!! Oh boy!!! :rolleyes:

How about adding support for DirectX 11.x (i.e. Windows7 and Window8) where most of the gaming improvements are. Meanwhile, they add support for Windows 10, but no DirectX 12 support means even if you have the hardware for it, you won't get any benefit from it now or in the future until this is rectified unless you use Boot Camp. Of course, Parallels 11 seems to have the exact same problem. That doesn't stop either of them from charging out the wazoo on every little update, though. You're better off just using Boot Camp, except that of course Apple keeps removing support for older Windows versions (i.e. it would be nice to have them all available as needed or desired. The one cool thing about VMWare Fusion is the ability to not only run XP for games, but Win98 and even Win3.1 or Dos if you want. I have a couple of games that only run right on Win98 and seeing my Win98 Retail has not been in use for some time, I used it to run a Virtual version and games like Leisure Suit Larry Love For Sail run properly once again. It even sees my Blu-Ray USB3 drive as a CD-Rom drive in Win98).

But there's no possibility of playing something like Pinball Arcade with DirectX11 through either of these (i.e. Pinball Arcade has a Mac version, but the lighting effects are vastly inferior to the Windows DirectX9 version for reasons unknown; they look like daylight compared to the Windows versions semi-dark room. There's also a DirectX11 mode it can run in and the tables are then "dark room" versions with really big lighting effects. My 2012 Mini is DirectX11 capable, but I'd have to boot into Windows 7/8/10 to use it. The makers of Pinball Arcade indicate the Mac version is based on the iOS version and thus has few improvements, but the lighting effects I see are just a matter of Contrast/Brightness issues VS DirectX9 (the DX11 effects are something different; although theoretically Metal would allow them if they supported it). Sadly, it's hard to get any fixes /adjustments for the Mac as they consider it such a tiny market compared to others. The ONLY reason the Mac got a version before Windows was that it was simple for them to convert the iOS version. The Windows version came later, but it's visually improved and closer to the PS3/4 & XBox versions. But even running Pinball Arcade in VMWare Fusion with XP with DirectX9 results in relatively slow performance (i.e. my 2008 MBP running XP in Boot Camp runs full speed with no slow-downs with Pinball Arcade, but my 2012 Quad-i7 runs fine in OSX, but VMWare is definitely dragging it down in XP. I haven't wanted to buy Win7 or 8 with 10 coming out, but I can't get Windows 10 either until I update OSX to Yosemite or El Capitain as Boot Camp for Mavericks is depreciated. I have had zero interest in Yosemite so that's a problem, but Metal in El Capitain might be enough to get me to update next month at which I could finally play this game with DirectX 11 mode in Windows 10 at least. All of this just begs OS X to get better gaming support. I hope Metal works out for it in the long run.

The gist is that until Parallels and/or VMWare support DirectX 11 and/or 12, they are going to be near useless for anything but running really old games in outdated versions of the OS (e.g. WinXP and Win98). They're probably fine for business software and the like. You'll need Boot Camp to do any serious modern gaming in Windows.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
That's been a problem with all Windows versions (I've seen the same reports from W7 users), you can't get around the limitation of Windows license that says you can only use the license on the PC it was installed on. VM and Bootcamp for all intents and purposes are two separate PC environments, and as far as I can tell, you're not allowed to use the same license like this.

The dual boot worked just fine for Windows 7 retail versions which can be activated against more than one machine to allow moving to new hardware, something OEM limits. If you had OEM, you needed two Windows licenses. Hardware usually ships with the OEM licensing, so that probably explains some of those problems you read about. There was a bit of finagling for saving and restoring Winclone images with both activations intact. The vmware service has to be running to save/swap between the two.

VMware has acknowledged this bug when using Windows 10 dual boot clients. I was asking if this bug with dual boot Windows 10 clients and activation swapping has been addressed in the Fusion 8 update.

profanum

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
The big reason I like Fusion over Parallels is the licensing model. VMware lets you use it on multiple Macs if you're not commercial whereas Parallels is 1 license per computer and that can hurt the wallet quite a bit.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Can you elaborate on that please? I was planning on importing the 8.1 VMDK into either Parallels or Fusion, doing the upgrade, extracting the Windows 10 key, deactivating that particular Parallels/Fusion installation and then using the extracted Windows 10 key for a clean installation into a new 10 VDMK. As I use only the VDMK Windows.

Exactly. You can't do any of that.
You need to install Windows 8.1 in your desired virtualization setup, and upgrade to Windows 10 thenceforth. As I said, they provide a generic key; in fact, what happens in the upgrade is that Windows registers your machine's hardware in their servers during the upgrade, nothing else. So if you change the VM, you're changing the hardware, thus rendering your Windows copy useless.
It just happened to me by the way. I did exactly what you described and ended up getting a new key.

Reactions: mektobat

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It's actually pretty good with lots of big improvements both in the UI and under the hood. Too bad Microsoft has a total disregard for users' privacy. You have to disable numerous settings to stop the worst information leaks, and even then some things (like "basic" telemetry) cannot be stopped unless you have the enterprise version.
Maybe Microsoft treats enterprise customer's privacy more than personal privacy.

Too bad to see Windows 10 Enterprise is only available through Volume Licensing. Enterprise version is the closest version compare to previous Windows 7 Ultimate.

By the way, I use group policy to completely disable Windows Update on my machine, which is likely not possible on Home version of Windows 10.

El Capitan is not official, right? They are supporting beta software? Or another update for official release support?

Last edited by a moderator:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Warning to anyone who uses an Nvidia web driver card: 3D acceleration setting in Fusion 8.0 causes hard crashes. Disable 3D acceleration for now.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Has it occurred to you that not everyone uses this for gaming?

I don't use my virtualization for gaming, but when I do I use Windows 10 streaming my xbox one games, works perfect.
I know it's not technically running the game, but we still like it.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ive been a Parallels user since parallels 6 and upgraded every year. recently to PD11

But seeing that VMWare got dx10 i just opted to give it a go. see which kinda performance i can get from it. since i mainly uses my vm for ASP.net dev and for some reason visual studie is very slow under windows 10 parallels 11.

i give it 2 cores out of 4 and 256mb gpu + 4gb ram out of 8 still virtual machine seems slow.

i must say atm vmware seems to have a smaller impact on over all performance with an identical setup for vm.

Did you use the upgrade pricing for Parallels customers?
What did you pay?
They say they give a 40% discount if you switch from Parallels but 40% off of what?
The regular price is $79.99 but on the Parallels upgrade page they post a price comparison to Parallels and on there they show $69.99.
So is the upgrade $79.99 x .6 or is it $69.99 x .6?
Or is it something else entirely?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.