Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I want to be able to connect to my Mac Mini from my work, which is a laptop using Windows XP Home. I have no problems using it at home within my LAN, however, outside of my LAN is where the problem occurs. I read that I needed a dynamic dns system. So, I signed up with http://www.no-ip.com and created a DNS host. I then configured my 2wire Home Portal to forward traffic on the VNC to port 5900. But when I try to access it with my VNCViewer from work, it times out.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
hhhhmmm looks like you are trying to do exactly what I do, but I haven't needed any of that dynamic dns stuff. Once I got it working at home on my own nextwork using local ip addresses in the 192.168.x.x range I had to make some changes to get it to function from work to home.

1. That a knew my home external ip address.

2. I had to make sure my work firewall wasn't blocking the traffic (it wasn't).

3. Then when my firewall recieved a request on the vnc port I had to explicitly tell it to forward the request to my mac's internal 192.168.x.x ip.

( I assume as you had it working at home you have the mac's firewall either off or open on vnc ports)

Timing out could be any of these three. If you are sure these are ok I'll try and think of anything else that gave me a problem.

Cheers,

sreedy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.