Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosoforos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
One of the things I noticed that excited me very much about Lion was the fact that there are a lot more voices that come with the OS. Not just English (which now comes in a lot of different accents), but, finally, a lot of European languages including my own small funny language (Dutch). While that's already great, I wonder if that's all. After all, just having those voices is not all that useful. It would only start to be useful if one could finally also speak in ones own language. So far, I haven't read anything about this... Does anyone know if Lion will have better speech recognition? It just irritates me that my iPhone understands me perfectly (I use voice control all the time- in Dutch), but that my Mac only has this clumsy speech interface and worst of all does not let me speak my own language.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
One of the things I noticed that excited me very much about Lion was the fact that there are a lot more voices that come with the OS. Not just English (which now comes in a lot of different accents), but, finally, a lot of European languages including my own small funny language (Dutch). While that's already great, I wonder if that's all. After all, just having those voices is not all that useful. It would only start to be useful if one could finally also speak in ones own language. So far, I haven't read anything about this... Does anyone know if Lion will have better speech recognition? It just irritates me that my iPhone understands me perfectly (I use voice control all the time- in Dutch), but that my Mac only has this clumsy speech interface and worst of all does not let me speak my own language.

I don't know but I don't doubt.

Apple did buy an AI company and they can do wonders with it. Will wait to see what's in the full package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.