Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
We are expecting that either nothing could happen or perhaps we could have an explosive event.

Could she have said it any better than that? :D It's decisive and conclusive.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Considering I can see Mt St Helens from my Apt window (if it is a clear day), I shall keep an eye out...

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
the seattle times today says that it'll be a small to medium sized eruption, nothing like last time. i hope they're right, or at least that the wind is blowing away from seattle (and me) when it erupts ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I don't think the eruption of Mt. St. Helens will cause the end of the World. It seems to me that the scientists are doing the prudent thing by alerting the authorities. The important thing is to be prepared.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think one thing people are missing here is that we've only lately begone to understand enough about the volcanoes to be able to predict when an eruption will happen. That's fantastic - especially if Mount Ranier or another huge volcano near a major metro area decides to blow its top.

And given the warning, there might be some nice footage of the eruption - I look forward to seeing that.

D

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
blackfox said:
Considering I can see Mt St Helens from my Apt window (if it is a clear day), I shall keep an eye out...

You luckly bastard :D

I wish I could see Mt. St. Helens but unfortunitly I am living in Bellingham and my school (Western) does not even have a view of Baker. This weekend I will try to make a trip and get as close a possible to the mountain to see it erupt and get some pictures.

Why? well because how often does one get to see a small eruption of a local volcanoe. And I am sure that there will be a ton of "tourists" flocking to see it erupte. I just hope is doesn't happen while I am still in Bellingham.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
joepunk said:
You lucky bastard :D

I wish I could see Mt. St. Helens but unfortunately I am living in Bellingham and my school (Western) does not even have a view of Baker. This weekend I will try to make a trip and get as close a possible to the mountain to see it erupt and get some pictures.

Why? well because how often does one get to see a small eruption of a local volcano. And I am sure that there will be a ton of "tourists" flocking to see it erupt. I just hope is doesn't happen while I am still in Bellingham.

My understanding is that they are keeping tourists at a great distance from the volcano fro safety reason. I also look forward to pictures of an eruption. They had great pictures of the last St. Helens eruption.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Whats next....yellowstone will finally blow......Guess its time to buy those masks now before its too late ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
"Scientists had been predicting just such a minor eruption after swarms of small earthquakes were detected and the mountain's volcanic dome shifted three inches since Monday."

Now we will just have to wait and see if there is an actual magma flow. Still an impressive site, the best in 18 years.

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
according to the seattle times, if there is a magma flow, it could be a rather large eruption. but if there isnt one then it'll just be a small eruption.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I was in Portland, OR when it happened so I missed it. Visited the Apple Store while I was there. :) It was a pain to get back home. Traffic was worse than I'd ever seen it. Explains why I've been coughing lately though, and that weird smell like someone is using wet wood in their fireplace.

Still better than that fishy smell from the paper plants. :eek:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I doubt we'll see any major eruption like 1980 but it'll be nice if something does happen. Hopefully, some people will get out of the way this time :rolleyes: . I wish we had an active volcano nearby - you guys are lucky! The nearest to me is Etna and Vesuvius in Italy but they're many many miles away from Britain!

As a geololgy student, I'll be watching this with interest..!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.