Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
had to get another charger for my 2007 macbook pro. i did find the end of the wires were shorted out so i also ordered another cable for it. i checked the voltage output with the cable disconnected and it puts out a little under 7 volts, is that right. thought they put out 10 or better.

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
If it is a Apple branded MagSafe adapter, it is a "smart" charger and does not supply full voltage when it detects that it is not plugged in to a computer, I have the same phenomena occur when I try to measure the voltage of my adapter with a voltmeter.

Should be around 20 volts when attached..

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
The charger brick puts out about 7 V at low current when it's not under load. After the magsafe handshake, which takes a second or so, the charger switches to full DC voltage.

They put out about 14-18 V DC at full load depending on the model.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
well i ordered another cable for it, also have a new charger. ill see when i solder in the new cable as to how good it charges. i do understand what you mean.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
well i ordered another cable for it, also have a new charger. ill see when i solder in the new cable as to how good it charges. i do understand what you mean.

If you replace the cable it will work just fine, assuming the brick itself is ok. Just be sure you got the right type of cable - the magsafe plug itself contains the little chip that controls the colour of the charging light and it also contains the ID that lets the MBP know what type of charger you have connected (45/60/85 W). Ideally you want to replace the cable with one from the same type of charger. At the brick end there will only be two cables to solder - positive and negative, and possibly the shield (I forget).

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
intrigued to know where you are getting the cable from. I have a couple of old charger where the cable failed and could never find one on an internet search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.