Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Current 4,1, 5,1, 6,1 owners will you buy the 7,1 Mac Pro

• Total voters

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I have the Mid 2012, 3.2 GHz Quad-Core - so a 'low end' Mac Pro...

32Gb RAM, SSD and 3 x HDDs, plus RX 580 card. This thing is still a beast and I love it for what I do. Like many here I was hoping for a 'direct' replacement Mac Pro but, unless Apple makes a low/mid-tier version I will have no choice but to move to a Mac Mini in the future.

One of the things I disliked about the Trash-can MP was having to add so many external devices so it's kinda ironic if I will have to do that with a Mac Mini. Sigh.

But... the wonderful boffins in the MP community are madly working on ways to get Catalina running on the cMP, so there may be life in the old gal yet!

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I voted for getting a mini. Not the 2018 but maybe a future model if it gets some performance upgrades.

At this point my two nMPs do what I need and would dread going back to a tower that takes up so much space. I still have my old cMP as it is great for tinkering.

Erlang

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
SW, UK
I currently have a 12 core 4.1 -> 5.1 with RX580 so for the time being I'll remain - 1-2 years

I don't need the power, but I'm a techie and I like the ability to add and maintain my machine, I'm not comfortable with compromises such as mobile/laptop parts in a desktop, glued down components, and heat management on the brink (I live in a hot dusty country and only use A/C in extremes).

Likely route will be refurbished/2nd hand iMac/iMacPro (4-5years)
Then refurbished/2nd hand nMP 7.x if Apple maintain their interest in MacPro line.

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
For now I'll keep what I have. In the meantime I will consider the three options: AIO, Hackintosh, PC. Number 3 is the most attractive because it's powerful, stable, expandable and affordable at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.