Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I've tried my Intuos on both my iMac and MacBook running DP2 of El Capitan - the mouse won't move with the pen. It does work with no drivers installed (in mouse mode), also, when you start the diagnostics within the drivers, you can clearly see the tablet is registering movement correctly (X and Y values are registered), as well as pressure. Everything else works - but the mouse pointer won't move. Apple must've changed something because it worked perfectly in DP1.

Wacom needs to make a new driver and who knows when this will happen: they weren't too quick to fix issues even with final versions of Mac OS, let alone developer betas.

This makes me sad, as DP2 is working perfectly in every other regard, even better than DP1.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
have you tried reinstalling the driver? have you also tried turning on kext dev mode?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've tried my Intuos on both my iMac and MacBook running DP2 of El Capitan - the mouse won't move with the pen. It does work with no drivers installed (in mouse mode), also, when you start the diagnostics within the drivers, you can clearly see the tablet is registering movement correctly (X and Y values are registered), as well as pressure. Everything else works - but the mouse pointer won't move. Apple must've changed something because it worked perfectly in DP1.

Wacom needs to make a new driver and who knows when this will happen: they weren't too quick to fix issues even with final versions of Mac OS, let alone developer betas.

This makes me sad, as DP2 is working perfectly in every other regard, even better than DP1.
You really shouldn't install betas on both your main systems. If it were me, I'd only be having trouble on the MacBook ;)

have you tried reinstalling the driver? have you also tried turning on kext dev mode?
From what I hear, kext dev mode is now part of rootless. This is the boot argument that is needed:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"
and reboot.

Doveland

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
Dali,China
same problem, try kext dev mode not work. uninstall wacom driver the pen can move. try old verison of wacom driver not work~

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You really shouldn't install betas on both your main systems. If it were me, I'd only be having trouble on the MacBook ;)

From what I hear, kext dev mode is now part of rootless. This is the boot argument that is needed:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"
and reboot.

Thanks for the info. As for not installing betas, I know - but I don't mind. I have good backups of everything I work on and I don't keep a lot of data, it usually isn't hard to just do a clean reinstall of the OS X if anything goes wrong. And DP1 was so fast and stable, I decided to put it on my iMac.

Now I have to return to Yosemite or DP1 until Wacom makes new drivers :(

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Long time Wacom tablet user here. Don't waste any time bugging Wacom - we will not see final drivers until after the final OS is out, just like the previous several iterations of OS X, and then there will be a few more x.1 versions of the driver until Wacom gets it right. Wacom's general policy is to wait until the final OS is issued before posting drivers - they have posted that on the EU forums.

You'd do better to follow the EU Wacom forums for progress than the MR Forums. Wacom USA is in the same city I live in - Portland, recently moved from Vancouver WA - and I do better following the EU Wacom forums. There's much more input and feedback there than in these forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Long time Wacom tablet user here. Don't waste any time bugging Wacom - we will not see final drivers until after the final OS is out, just like the previous several iterations of OS X, and then there will be a few more x.1 versions of the driver until Wacom gets it right.

You'd do better to follow the EU Wacom forums for progress than the MR Forums. Wacom USA is in the same city I live in - Portland, recently moved from Vancouver WA - and I do better following the EU Wacom forums. There's much more input and feedback there than in these forums.

Yeah, posted on EU forums as well. I don't mind the tablet not working in beta (although, I would prefer it if they'd fix it now) but what I'm affraid is that they won't work even when El Capitan is out (if they take their time fixing it). If I have to stay on Yosemite even longer, that will be bad.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, posted on EU forums as well. I don't mind the tablet not working in beta (although, I would prefer it if they'd fix it now) but what I'm affraid is that they won't work even when El Capitan is out (if they take their time fixing it). If I have to stay on Yosemite even longer, that will be bad.
The last 4 OS betas did not see a beta Wacom driver - we had to wait until the final OS came out. I'll be honest in that Apple's changing how drivers interact with the OS from 10.7-10.8, then 10.8-10.9>10.10 and now 10.11 I can't blame any developer for waiting until the final version comes out. The only recent Wacom drivers that managed to bridge an OS was from Leopard to Snow Leopard - Apple's indication that 10.11 is an "optimization" does not represent the massive change in the underpinnings of the OS, and I can't compare the Leopard/Snow Leopard optimization to what we're seeing here in 10.11.

I installed 10.11 on a new partition on my rMBP and my second drive on my Mini Server - the System has changed significantly. If I were writing drivers, I'd wait. I'm not even going to attempt installing Wacom's software until a couple more versions of the Betas are issued. I installed Office 2016 just to try it - there were too many features missing, and I already deleted it. 10.11 B2 is just a "toy" for now for me. If I find a workaround I'll post it here. Cheers!

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I installed 10.11 on a new partition on my rMBP and my second drive on my Mini Server - the System has changed significantly. If I were writing drivers, I'd wait. I'm not even going to attempt installing Wacom's software until a couple more versions of the Betas are issued. I installed Office 2016 just to try it - there were too many features missing, and I already deleted it. 10.11 B2 is just a "toy" for now for me. If I find a workaround I'll post it here. Cheers!

As I said, if they are ready for the final release, I'm fine with that. This is exactly why Apple has developer betas - so that developers can get their apps and drivers ready for the release OS. The GM build will be the final code and Wacom will have more than enough time to fix this. However, I'm not sure this will be on top of their things to do (people had serious issues with Mountain Lion and Wacom, if I remember correctly, and it took a while for Wacom to fix it - I had to use the old drivers for months until they finally gave us a fix and in this case, old drivers won't work, so I really hope we don't have to wait that long.)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
As I said, if they are ready for the final release, I'm fine with that. This is exactly why Apple has developer betas - so that developers can get their apps and drivers ready for the release OS. The GM build will be the final code and Wacom will have more than enough time to fix this. However, I'm not sure this will be on top of their things to do (people had serious issues with Mountain Lion and Wacom, if I remember correctly, and it took a while for Wacom to fix it - I had to use the old drivers for months until they finally gave us a fix and in this case, old drivers won't work, so I really hope we don't have to wait that long.)
They won't be ready, IMHO. I'd put money on it. Just like Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion.... :mad:

pfluger

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
I am in the same boat. The only hope I have is that this might actually be a bug in OS X and Apple will fix it in the next beta.

Not only the Wacom tablet isn't working anymore, I also use an app called 'SmoothMouse' to change the acceleration curve of an USB mouse on a different Mac and that stopped working, too.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

Have you read the release notes regarding USB devices?

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Have you read the release notes regarding USB devices?

They just say older usb devices may not work, but this is not the case here. First of all, the tablet does work, it's the drivers that don't work. Second, the same issue is present on latest Intuos Pro tablets as well.

BTW, Wacom answered my post on EU forums, they say they are working on the issue. Who knows when we can expect an update. I wouldn't hold my breath, but at least they are working on it.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
They just say older usb devices may not work, but this is not the case here. First of all, the tablet does work, it's the drivers that don't work. Second, the same issue is present on latest Intuos Pro tablets as well.

BTW, Wacom answered my post on EU forums, they say they are working on the issue. Who knows when we can expect an update. I wouldn't hold my breath, but at least they are working on it.

That being said, the USB stack has had an overhaul according to the USB release notes:

https://developer.apple.com/library...s.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007739-CH3-SW1

So it is entirely possible that the driver is written according to specifications but a regression has entered and Wacom needs to notify Apple regarding the regression. Just reading through the various release notes it appears to be a lot of under the hood improvements which is nice to see after having many releases many focused on surface/presentation features.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Same here with my Intuos4. Tablet works (registers keys when pressing etc) however pen don't move at all.

Dae

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Hi, I'm the project manager of SmoothMouse (mouse driver). Both SM and the Wacom driver control the on-screen pointer using the API called IOHID. To our surprise it has been removed in El Capitan DP2, and this is why neither SmoothMouse or Wacom driver work on it.

IOHID is not a widely known API, because it was poorly documented, but if you're in driver development, it's the only choice for a plethora of reasons, the most important being excellent performance. The officially recommended API (aka Quartz) had serious performance problems under GPU load (read more about the problem in my question on StackOverflow).

We're trying to get a comment from Apple.

Last edited:

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Hi, I'm the project manager of SmoothMouse (mouse driver). Both SM and the Wacom driver control pointer using the API called IOHID. It has been suprisingly removed in El Capitan DP2, and this is why neither SmoothMouse or Wacom driver work there.

IOHID is not a widely known API, because it was poorly documented, but if you're in driver development, it's the only choice for a plethora of reasons, the most important being excellent performance. The officially recommended API (aka Quartz API) had serious performance problems under GPU load (read more about the problem in my question on StackOverflow).

Thank you a millions for the update. Please keep us posted of the progress.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
I'm very tired, read that as 'Women' Drivers won't work on DP2 ... Worthy of a chuckle any way.

Zzzzz ....

Śāśwata

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2015
Hamar, Norway
Hi, I'm the project manager of SmoothMouse (mouse driver). Both SM and the Wacom driver control the on-screen pointer using the API called IOHID. To our surprise it has been removed in El Capitan DP2, and this is why neither SmoothMouse or Wacom driver work on it.

IOHID is not a widely known API, because it was poorly documented, but if you're in driver development, it's the only choice for a plethora of reasons, the most important being excellent performance. The officially recommended API (aka Quartz) had serious performance problems under GPU load (read more about the problem in my question on StackOverflow).

Maybe Apple wants developers to make drivers using the new Metal, and that’s why they removed the API called IOHID? I’m an artist, and I urgently need a Wacom driver. I took the risk, I know, when I upgraded to El Capitan. Curiosity gets me into trouble sometimes.

Reactions: Doctoreggman

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Women drivers don't usually work even on stable versions of anything. :)

I am not a woman, but I find that very offensive.

Back to topic, Wacom said that they are working on new drivers, but I wonder if Apple may return this IOHID in DP3? Small chance, I know, but perhaps they removed it, erm, by mistake? Wishful thinking.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
I am not a woman, but I find that very offensive.

Back to topic, Wacom said that they are working on new drivers, but I wonder if Apple may return this IOHID in DP3? Small chance, I know, but perhaps they removed it, erm, by mistake? Wishful thinking.

No sense of humour? It wasn't meant to be offensive, just in context to that guy's comment...

Besides of that I confirm, the driver doesn't work even in true rootless mode, - not the NVRAM flag, but unchecking "System Integrity Protection", which is in charge of guarding the kernel extensions, among other things (more of it here).

So, even disabling it altogether and re-installing the Wacom driver doesn't help, but touch on my Intuos 5 and pressure sensitivity (in settings) seem to be working and different pens being registered correctly...

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
No sense of humour? It wasn't meant to be offensive, just in context to that guy's comment...

Besides of that I confirm, the driver doesn't work even in true rootless mode, - not the NVRAM flag, but unchecking "System Integrity Protection", which is in charge of guarding the kernel extensions, among other things (more of it here).

So, even disabling it altogether and re-installing the Wacom driver doesn't help, but touch on my Intuos 5 and pressure sensitivity (in settings) seem to be working and different pens being registered correctly...
Same here. Touch and pressure working fine. Only pen movements are not registering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.