Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerosnipe

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
USA
I have a Wacom Intuos3 6x8. I went through several places that said they had it in stock or would get it in the next couple days when i talked to them on the phone needless to say i canceled all of them and had to go with apple who shipped it out right away. Was it worth all the hassle i had to go through to get it? I would say defiantly, i never use a mouse unless i need to use my left hand since it is alot harder to do anything with my left hand and the pen. I use photoshop and illustrator with it and when i was at school and trying to use a mouse i usually don't even bother the mouse is so clumsy and i am to used to the tablet.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Well it is settled

This has definitely turned into the I LOVE WACOM thread.

What surprises me is that there is not one person who replied that complained about the product.

My company used to serve free lunches and someone will complain about something!

I'm goign to invest in the 6X11 Intuous3... soon.... $300 sounds like alot but with all the posts being so positive... I am confident that I will not be making another gadget mistake.

Again I thank you all for the input and encouragement.:)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Not a complaint but a small note about using them. If you have never used one, you may be tempted to throw it out the window after playing with for the first 10 minutes. They have a much different feel than a mouse and it will take a few days to get used to it, it's kind of like switching writing hands. Once you get used to it you will love it. ;)

dogbone

macrumors 68020
iriejedi said:
I am confident that I will not be making another gadget mistake.

And you would be wrong because when you realise that this item will outlast any of your other equipment you will regret not getting a 9x12 size.

I used a smaller tablet recently at a friends place and it was almost as bad as going back to a mouse. A smaller tablet almost becomes a glorified track pad.

For proper hand/eye/monitor coordination you really need a 1:1 (or close) ratio of pen to cursor movement. Not to mention the incovenience of running out of space when drawing out bezier handles. The only solution to the latter is to work as smaller magnifications which sort of defeats the purpose of drawing a dead accurate clipping path.

zerosnipe

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
USA
dogbone said:
And you would be wrong because when you realise that this item will outlast any of your other equipment you will regret not getting a 9x12 size.

I used a smaller tablet recently at a friends place and it was almost as bad as going back to a mouse. A smaller tablet almost becomes a glorified track pad.

For proper hand/eye/monitor coordination you really need a 1:1 (or close) ratio of pen to cursor movement. Not to mention the incovenience of running out of space when drawing out bezier handles. The only solution to the latter is to work as smaller magnifications which sort of defeats the purpose of drawing a dead accurate clipping path.

The person said they wouldn't be making a mistake not that they would be making a mistake. Might help to read the post, they are gloating at how the wacom tablets have such high praise and so the person is confident they will not be making a gadget mishap

dogbone

macrumors 68020
zerosnipe said:
The person said they wouldn't be making a mistake not that they would be making a mistake. Might help to read the post, they are gloating at how the wacom tablets have such high praise and so the person is confident they will not be making a gadget mishap

Yes, I am quite well aware that they said they wouldn't be making a mistake and I disagreed with them for the reasons I stated. Perhaps you did not comprehend that I was saying the mistake was they were going for the wrong size?

RJShroyer

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
WACOM Tablets - are they worth it?

Yesterday, I bought a 6 X 11 3 Wacom, and want to try editing photos with it.
But I really have need of a tool to annotate and correct printed text -- like a student essay -- without the text being pushed to the side when I use the Wacom pen. At least in Word 2004 for a mac, I'm having some trouble, and can use some help.

pdxphotoman

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
Their really good for using with the pen tool I find couldn't get half the control and speed with a mouse.

This is an old thread, but still seems to be true. Next to the Magic Mouse, the Wacom Mouse is antediluvian, but the pen tool is really great. My workflow is to keep the tablet nestled under the Imac 27 stand and drag it forward when I need to use the pen tool.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I use wacom for everything on the mac ever since my trackpad batteries went out and had no spares. I am so accurate and quick with it probably a lot faster than mouse even. I am a graphic designer and digital painter so I was using it a lot before anyway but using it for everything only sped up my accuracy experience so I am glad to use it. Very comfortable for me.

When you first start using it you will probably dislike it but if you push through, in a week you will be up to scratch and in a month you will be mastered.

Do your wrist a favour and get one :)
The intuos 3 is awesome

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Have I replied to this one yet? Seems so many are asking?

Yes I love my WACOM! Better than sliced bread.

Everyone is correct, it will take a little getting used to. Like moving from the UK to America and driving on the wrong side of the road. At first it's a little weird, then you realize the roads are BIGGER, longer and you can drive faster.

RIZZO124

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
I've bought Wacom tablets for the past 15 years. Got tired of the high price and went with Huion. The tablet is excellent and works fine. I got twice the resolution and size for half the price. The only difference is that the Huion pen stylus needs a aaa battery. At first I thought this was bad but now if prefer it because the pen has some heft and weight to it and is a pleasure to use. Ditch the Wacom.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Break a leg: get the biggest (A4 size), suffer from the crash on your account, and enjoy it for 10 years.

Hint: I was working in 2 spaces and carried the Wacom between. Then I found a second hand Intuos 3 for 100 bucks. A second hand Intuos 3 or 4 a4 size is ALWAYS BETTER than the newest smaller one!

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Indespensible.

I just got the Bamboo Upgraded one for like $120-ish year or so ago - you don't have to break the bank on this, serves well for any visual design stuff.

I've never tried another tablet; Wacom always delivered for me.

If you wonder if you should get one: do. Then if you think you need the Bentley versions later on, go for it.

Enjoy increased productivity!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
We use Wacom intuos 3s & 4s, with mice, but set to pen mode for absolute coordinates, and Cintiq's (13HD's & 24T's) for illustration & on-screen work.

There is nothing as fine as drawing on a Cintiq 24T, but holy mackerel Wacom NEEDS to discover Thunderbolt. The tangle of cords coming out of these things is still horrendous, straight out of 2003, and with the price they're charging, these things should come with a single TB cable.

They've done all this great work on what could easily be the greatest companion device to a MBP or MBA, and then completely crippled it Harding-style with a crazy ball and chains.

When they build a Cintiq 13HD that's got multitouch controls and a thunderbolt cable for under a grand, it'll revolutionize the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.