Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Okay guys, I really need a new Mac for video editing. It seems like my PowerBook G4 is starting to show its age. I've used it for the past two years, and I still love it so much. But I need a lot more speed than it's giving me now. So my question to you guys is: should I get a Power Mac G5 Quad, or wait for the Mac Pro? I use Dreamweaver, Flash, Final Cut Studio, and Adobe Creative Suite 2 alot, so you can imagine how much power I need. I just don't know you guys! But I want to be future-proof, and I know that if I did get the Quad, it'd last me at least two years...

Another question I'd like to ask you guys is, if you think Apple is going to split the desktop line into THREE different product lines? I think this may happen: Mac mini, Mac, and Mac Pro. This is simply from what I've seen Apple do to their product lines so far. iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac mini, Mac, Mac Pro. Seems very logical to me so far?

So what do you guys think?

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Coming from a guy with a Quad and a G4 PowerBook, i would buy a quad for the following reasons

-Adobe is taking its time making a universal binary of its products
-Apple is taking its time making a Mac Pro because of not having a powerful enogh chip to supercede the 2.5DC G5
-My PowerBook does the Radial Blur Photoshop Test in 2mins35secs and the beautiful Quad does it in 16sec. For that reason alone the Quad will blow your pants off
-Obviously if you can wait eventually Intel will offer a more powerful machine but at some point you have to bite the bullet, and at the moment that quad is a mad machine. Get the 7800GT and smack some ram in it and she goes

Goodluck either way buddy

-It will definitely last 2 years, it will last 5 years

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Ahh! Well I guess it seems that I am going to purchase the Quad. Because I'm afraid that the new Mac Pro wouldn't even have FireWire 800! I have a few FireWire 800 RAID cases already, and I want them to run at full speed. Who knows what Apple will add for external interfaces on the Mac Pro. If it has eSATA or something, that'd be a plus. But I can't wait that long! AHH! I JUST DON'T KNOW!!! :eek: :confused: They might even have Xeon based Mac Pros... *sighs*

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
it depends if you can afford to wait. if yes, then i'd say wait. i've no doubt that the Mac Pro's will be packing some impressive hardware. but then again, who knows what it will take to beat the Quad G5? i'd bet that the first new Intel Pro Desktops won't do it. and it took a few revisions of the current PM to get to the Quad, maybe it'll take a few revisions of the Intel-chipped Pro Mac to get to a similar spec. if you know what i mean...

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Quad

cb911 said:
it depends if you can afford to wait. if yes, then i'd say wait. i've no doubt that the Mac Pro's will be packing some impressive hardware. but then again, who knows what it will take to beat the Quad G5? i'd bet that the first new Intel Pro Desktops won't do it. and it took a few revisions of the current PM to get to the Quad, maybe it'll take a few revisions of the Intel-chipped Pro Mac to get to a similar spec. if you know what i mean...

Yeah it sounds like you need the power, so buy the Quad now. Waiting only makes you less productive now. Yeah the next Intel PM will probably destroy the current DC PM G5's, but not the Quad. Eventually they will surpass it, however that's a lot of waiting if you need to get some work done.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Looks like the Quad will be the answer for me! Thanks for your help you guys! Even though I might end up getting an Intel Mac late this year anyway! :rolleyes: I'm a really big Apple fan and EVANGELIST!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.