Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tazy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I had been patiently waiting for an apple update after the launch of Leopard. However, nothing has happened since the launch. I am seriously considering a patchstick update for my apple-tv. Should I go ahead with the hack or wait for an update in Jan'08?

I have read through the documents and the update via patchstick looks requite easy to execute.

Thanks.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I've only just started looking into the Patchstick myself. I don't yet understand whether it's for real, or simply a concept at the moment??

(The one hack I'd like straight away is the wake-on-lan)

Help!

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Yes it is real but you need to make it yourself, I think because it includes components of os x that cant be distributed for free. You could probably find one already made if you did some searching.

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Patchstick is most definitely a reality. The Beginner's Guide at wiki.awkwardtv.org helped me out a lot. Don't even think about it if you're scared of Terminal. But even if you don't know command lines, all the commands are there for you to just copy/paste. Until someone comes out with a binary to do it all with mouse clicks, this is the best one stop solution I've found.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I patched my AppleTV twice (forgot to turn off auto-updating the first time) and it was pretty much a breeze with that guide and a patchstick. Now I have my 1TB drive running my AppleTV...it is truly sweet.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Well, I could use Divx decoding, but I can live without it. Same with Dolby 5.1 instead of Pro Logic. I can stream most of my media, so I don't care much about connecting an external drive directly to AppleTV, either. What I would like to see most is affordable movie rentals, but Patchstick will not provide that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.