Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
UK
Well i had i am wanting an iPod but my concern is now the 5G iPod has been out for a fair few months will there be a new one released soon (April Maybe).

I'm not waitng this iPod video with full screen across the iPod, just the normal iPod thats main feature is to play music and perhaps a few videos

I would like to see a built in radio tuner in a new iPod? is that a possibility?

So do you guys think its worth while wating for a newer iPod to be released?

Thanks Sam:)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
I doubt there will be a built in radio tuner but there's always a possibility...you never know..yeah it depends, if you can wait i would recomend you to wait as i've the feeling that they might release at least one new iPod this year and it wouldn't be some updated iPods but a new iPod...

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
DarkNetworks said:
I doubt there will be a built in radio tuner but there's always a possibility...you never know..yeah it depends, if you can wait i would recomend you to wait as i've the feeling that they might release at least one new iPod this year and it wouldn't be some updated iPods but a new iPod...

Quite true, apple likes ripping people off with iPod extras!

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I had my new 5G 30GB iPod delivered today, and if you don't want any more than is being offered right now, then I can heartily recommend this one. The screen is fantastically clear (I love the album art being displayed, which I didn't have on my iPod Mini) and it's a really nice weight and feel in your hand. The click wheel is a little different in terms of feel and responsiveness to the one I was used to on my Mini, but it'll grow on me, I'm sure.

If you want a radio, you'll have to buy the new Apple dock-connecting remote, I guess. I have one on order but it's not due until March 1st. I'll let you know about it when I get my hands on it! :)

Sam*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
UK
cwedl said:
Quite true, apple likes ripping people off with iPod extras!

Thats my main concern... buying one now and then a newer model being released and i feel like i have been ripped off:(

micxer

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
Mars, PA
Understand!

I just got a 30gig white Video iPod for my birthday (with receipt - gotta love my wife!) that I have yet to open, even though it is very, very tempting. Based on how long it has been since this generation was refreshed, I expect to see an update soon... either larger HD or longer battery life. God knows what else Apple will throw in! Plus, based on the Buyer's Guide, it appears to be inevitable for an update. The last time I was careless in enjoying my 20gig 4G and an update was released shortly thereafter.

One question for the techies on here... if the update includes extended battery life, would that be addressed by the typical iPod updates for, say, the current 30 gig? :confused:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
micxer said:
One question for the techies on here... if the update includes extended battery life, would that be addressed by the typical iPod updates for, say, the current 30 gig? :confused:

Depends, some updates can marginally extend the life of the battery by changing how the iPod OS accesses and uses the Hard-drive but most of the time an increase in battery life is due to an upgrade in the actual battery's technology. This could not be carried over to the older models and is not likely to be fitted to older models in the case of a repair.

As for the OP, I'm not entirely sure how long ago the 5G was released, can't be too long ago - not much before christmas. That makes it about 3-4 months old. Possibly due for a capacity bump/change or price change (unlikely) in about two months (around the end of April - would make a good double up with an Intel iBook release) but who knows what Apple's going to do, we're used to fairly regular iPod updates (a new one every year or so with feature updates half way between) but what's to stop them just bumping the 5G every six or so months for 2 years? (most likely the share price but you get my point).

I'd hold out until you can no longer hold out and then have a good look round the rumour sites for grumblings about an Apple event upcoming (looks like the rumoured February event isn't going to happen), I predict late March/early April. If there's some serious rumblings round the traps it should give you incentive to wait just a smidgen longer. If nothing's happening just go get the current model - they truly are stunning. I wish I could replace my old 3G 15GB with the new one but I just don't have the cash right now. Even a 4GB nano would be sweet but it's not on the cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.