Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDull

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I remember Oct 2008 first MBP w/ aluminum unibody. The greatest! ( according to Apple) bought one in Nov. then Feb comes and a huge upgrade much faster processor, double the ram, memory card reader, and several other nice upgrades, same price. I lost my mind! I called to complain and try to do something about it and they told me to go to hell. I can see a replay of that coming this fall. If Surface book comes in 15" soon, I am gone. I will also be looking at other 15 laptops, sick of Apple games.

vlug

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2009
Apple's laziness & neglect of its MacBook Pro range along with non user replaceable parts makes it hard to invest in them anymore.

Reactions: Skylake

AYNOM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Apple's laziness & neglect of its MacBook Pro range along with non user replaceable parts makes it hard to invest in them anymore.

I think that's the biggest grievance with the newer models. Apple has essentially set it up for the consumer to be on their watch or timeline and they do a fairly decent job of roping you into their ecosystem to the point where leaving the ecosystem is not an option. Such is their brand loyalty strategy.

Allinritalin

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
I get so terribly disappointed at Apple, how long do we have to wait for a new version of MBP . If Apple continues to make customers disappointed they'll lose them.

APPLE! YOU CAN NOT DO "EVERYTHING" WITH THE F**KING iPad.
Now I will leave the sinking ship and look for other options. Lenovo or Dell?

Reactions: itsamacthing

StianSylta

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Norway.
Jesus H Christ this is a lot of complaining, despite all the proven insiders saying in advance that the SOFTWARE Converence would be focused only on SOFTWARE.
Lot´s of nice features that developers can integrate into their apps, and all those attending where there because of SOFTWARE.
I wanted a new MBP. My main use is audio recording/mixing and some coding. But I know that the WWDC is not the event for me. I still found improved watchOS to be a nice update, lot´s of other cool stuff I can´t wait to try on my watch, phone and MBA. Looks like I even get this one last version of macOS for my late 2009 iMac.

I´ll be annoyed that I have to postpone my MBP purchase, cause it will get the job done BETTER, than my current machines. But NO-ONE making a living working on their Macs can claim that suddenly in the past year they´ve hit a brick wall and can no longer work to pay their bills using the current hardware form Apple.

Everybody wants better, faster, stronger. But there are 18M Macs sold a year, and lots of them go to people who make their main income from those machines. So Apple most defiantly caters to the PRO market. As Does windows.

Complaining about there not being a MBP- model ready for you to start University is crazy. There is no University in the world that has a curriculum that requires a Skylake equipped laptop for you to attend. Yeah, you´d rather future proof. I get it. But claiming that you are out of luck is just wrong.

We all WANT the latest CPU so we can enable the LATEST features of whatever software we use to do our job (that requires a Mac), but there is NOT ONE piece of software that won´t let you do the intended tasks with any of the current model MBP´s, iMacs or Mac Pro´s.
The Apple- guys talked for 2 hours about software features at a developer conference. Wish they had the time (and ready hardware) to talk about Macs. But I´ve waited for 6 months now, and as long as I can do my work on my current Macs, I´ll be just fine. As will all of you.

The outrage on this thread is just insane.

bfid111

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Jesus H Christ this is a lot of complaining, despite all the proven insiders saying in advance that the SOFTWARE Converence would be focused only on SOFTWARE.
Lot´s of nice features that developers can integrate into their apps, and all those attending where there because of SOFTWARE.
I wanted a new MBP. My main use is audio recording/mixing and some coding. But I know that the WWDC is not the event for me. I still found improved watchOS to be a nice update, lot´s of other cool stuff I can´t wait to try on my watch, phone and MBA. Looks like I even get this one last version of macOS for my late 2009 iMac.

I´ll be annoyed that I have to postpone my MBP purchase, cause it will get the job done BETTER, than my current machines. But NO-ONE making a living working on their Macs can claim that suddenly in the past year they´ve hit a brick wall and can no longer work to pay their bills using the current hardware form Apple.

Everybody wants better, faster, stronger. But there are 18M Macs sold a year, and lots of them go to people who make their main income from those machines. So Apple most defiantly caters to the PRO market. As Does windows.

Complaining about there not being a MBP- model ready for you to start University is crazy. There is no University in the world that has a curriculum that requires a Skylake equipped laptop for you to attend. Yeah, you´d rather future proof. I get it. But claiming that you are out of luck is just wrong.

We all WANT the latest CPU so we can enable the LATEST features of whatever software we use to do our job (that requires a Mac), but there is NOT ONE piece of software that won´t let you do the intended tasks with any of the current model MBP´s, iMacs or Mac Pro´s.
The Apple- guys talked for 2 hours about software features at a developer conference. Wish they had the time (and ready hardware) to talk about Macs. But I´ve waited for 6 months now, and as long as I can do my work on my current Macs, I´ll be just fine. As will all of you.

I get it.

But If I'm going to spend 2k+ $$$ for a laptop, I want something that is up to date. Not something that came out 2 years ago

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
On a slightly separate note, I don't understand why the new macOS is 10.12. It's clear we're likely never going to get a reinvention for version 11, and the numbers are beyond ridiculous. They really should've called it macOS 11 to simplify it - now it looks like they never will.

It would make more sense calling it macOS 12. In other words, just drop the 10 dot prefix. That means skipping a number, but this has been done in the past by both Apple and Microsoft.

StianSylta

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Norway.
I get it.

But If I'm going to spend 2k+ $$$ for a laptop, I want something that is up to date. Not something that came out 2 years ago
And I agree with you. I would not get the current model today. But the outrage because Apple is focusing on developers at this time (when we all know that the OLED MBP will eventually come..) it just reeks of privilege and butthurt.

motime61

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2015
Seriously.... Tim Cook is a freaking retard. I don't care if he is a well educated entrepreneur with global fame and prestige. Looking from recent history, it is obvious that Apple is going towards more "for-profit" road rather than being an "innovator". Tim Cook is just a greedy mother fu**** who likes to play games with his loyal customers

You would be a fool to think it wasn't primarily about profits before.

Reactions: Federico87

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
I think this will be the last rMBP redesign. Im sure by 2020 they will have amped up iOS, as we've begun to see with Swift Playgrounds on iOS 10, and will kill off the MacBook (Pro, Air included) line. The iPad Pro will take over, and thats when I will probably buy MacBook Pros by the dozen before they run out LOL.

Perhaps they are are trying to make this a memorable design, and that is why they're taking their sweet time.

WRONG

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2015
Principality of Sealand
I get it.

^
this.
As repeated tons of times in this thread, it's not only the lack of innovation we are complaining, but the unreasonable prices.
Apple wants to stay with old hardware (!!!) for who-knows-what reason?
Fine.
Don't sell it, and don't promote it like it's top-notch hardware.
Cut the price, and we all be fine.
Paying 2500€ for a 2 years old product (if you're lucky...)?
No way in the entire world.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
And I agree with you. I would not get the current model today. But the outrage because Apple is focusing on developers at this time (when we all know that the OLED MBP will eventually come..) it just reeks of privilege and butthurt.
Oh just don't exclude the history from this issue. What were they focusing on last year when they skipped Broadwell? What were they focusing on in January-March when they had an opportunity to announce new rMBPs? What were they focusing at March event? On the other hand focusing on software didn't prevent them from showing new rMBPs on some previous WWDCs.

With such an attitude you could say that we should wait at least until next year (if we get lucky) because fall will be dedicated to Watch and iPhone.

The problem is not that WWDC went without Mac hardware. The problem is that one more (too many) Apple event went without Mac hardware.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple are in a sad state with their laptops. More than 12 months since they were updated. They are overpriced and under spec'd.

We know today where apples priorities are - Apple Music and iMessage - spending longer talking about those ( and it was a cringing presentation for both ) than new features of macOS - fairly minor at that.

No wonder Apple computer sales are tanking.

bfid111

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
we will hear more info about the new mbps in the next few days or wekks. macOS Sierra kernel should have some info about them.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I think this will be the last rMBP redesign. Im sure by 2020 they will have amped up iOS, as we've begun to see with Swift Playgrounds on iOS 10, and will kill off the MacBook (Pro, Air included) line. The iPad Pro will take over, and thats when I will probably buy MacBook Pros by the dozen before they run out LOL.

Perhaps they are are trying to make this a memorable design, and that is why they're taking their sweet time.

The iPad Pro will have to replace the Mac organically in the same way that the iPhone took over the iPod, otherwise it'll be a huge failure.

It's obvious that apple isn't listening to the customers and doesn't have any good idea anymore since he passed away.

almost a lot of the new features are nice to have, not needed.

Apple is now competing in very mature markets. I am sure that it is not as easy to pull innovative, awe-inspiring features out of thin air anymore.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Xcode for iPad is a none starter ( for development shops especially ). It isn't just about getting Xcode running on iPad - it's all the other tools that are required. Many of these tools could not be distributed on the AppStore - due to the rules.

I think this is the beginning of the end for the Mac. It has already happened with the Mac Pro and Mac Mini - now it's the MacBook Pro's turn. Their focus is clearly on iOS. Soon they will release Xcode for iPad and push developers over there.

I just hope that people will not download the Swift Playground app for iPad. All Apple cares about are app downloads and I hope if those are low it might open their eyes, however doubtful that may be.

Last edited:

bfid111

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
If Apple decides to make something similar to the Surface Book or Pro, I'm okay with that as long as they still continue to update the traditional macs.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
The iPad Pro will have to replace the Mac organically in the same way that the iPhone took over the iPod, otherwise it'll be a huge failure.

And thats why I think Apple will fail, not in the general sense. They're rushing this transition, although I can't comment on it surely, unless I were too see iOS 14 or whatever its called. They'll fail their computing lineup. Though they'll be going strong in mobile and perhaps make a hit in the automobile industry.

Reactions: thor1996

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014

I've been waiting well over a year now for an update as I couldn't bring myself to buy a generation (now 2 generation old ) processor based pc. Still a great pc though, but 2500 pc needs to be up to date.

Reactions: Superland

bfid111

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
So........ Will Apple hold another event before September??? I don't think Apple will wait until September to announce the new mbps along with Iphone

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I remember Oct 2008 first MBP w/ aluminum unibody. The greatest! ( according to Apple) bought one in Nov. then Feb comes and a huge upgrade much faster processor, double the ram, memory card reader, and several other nice upgrades, same price. I lost my mind! I called to complain and try to do something about it and they told me to go to hell. I can see a replay of that coming this fall. If Surface book comes in 15" soon, I am gone. I will also be looking at other 15 laptops, sick of Apple games.

what a load of *****, go cry in a corner! this is called technology progress!

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I love how they improved iMessage, a feature that is totally obsolete for most users. There is almost no person I message via iMessage and I don't know many that do. Improving it makes as much sense as improving the "Call" app.
Just like Siri, they even stated it themselves, the number of Siri-requests tends to nothing compared to the amount of devices etc.

I really don’t understand the priorities Apple is setting and doing the one more thing thingy was almost like a direct abasement, knowing that there must be loads of people waiting for the new MacBook. Just like the moment when -I think Ivy- made fun of the users of old (windows)laptops and the lady in the front row shook here head in disgust, back at the march event.

The only thing I noticed, is the picture of the guy in the development video macrumors posted on the live coverage, the laptop doesn’t have a oled bar but doesn’t have the same ports as any MacBook I can think of, guess I have to find that very video.

Oh well, I'll think about getting a windows laptop, my MacBook is 8.4 years old now, i got to replace it and hence apple fails to deliver, I have to switch to a company that doesn’t.

Peace guys, I'm out and maybe, just maybe, wake me up, when september ends.

edit:// found the video, was an MacBook Air, so not even that last light at the end of the tunnel left.
I'm honestly really surprised you don't know anyone that uses iMessage. I personally don't know anyone that has an iPhone that doesn't use iMessage. I rarely text people as almost everyone I know has an iPhone and that's the default for iPhone to iPhone communication over message. I'm curious, what do you use for text based communication?

Reactions: R3k

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
You would be a fool to think it wasn't primarily about profits before.

No he is right.
Apple has innovated feck all since jobs left. The iPhone se is just a iPhone 5 from 4 years ago, as was the iPhone c disaster before it. IPads and iPhones all have different resolutions to each.other, and while ios was ahead of its time in 2010 in 2016 its now well behind. It launched a watched 3 years late and was not well received, the iPhone's technically are behind the competition with their low resolution screen (retina moniker is now a joke on the phones ).
They're just making existing products thinner and but bigger. The new 2017 iPad pro will be as thin as paper and the size of an A3 sheet.
Apple was a cool computer company and remember built its phone business on the back of it. But now just a phone company, like Nokia, or Erickson.
Apple don't forget u need the pro pc market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.